Top 10 Black Metal Bands

If Mercyful Fate is black metal, then Primordial is black metal. Vocal style has nothing to do with if something is black metal or not. The guitar playing technique in Primordial is very black metal influenced for the most part.

Mayhem
Masters Hammer
Varathrone
Necromantia
Burzum
Darkthrone
Emperor
Graveland
Enslaved
Summoning

Bathory
Mayhem
Hellhammer
Burzum
Summoning
Darkthrone
Emperor
Deathspell Omega
Dissection
Graveland
---------
I hate doing lists like these.

If Mercyful Fate is black metal, then Primordial is black metal. Vocal style has nothing to do with if something is black metal or not. The guitar playing technique in Primordial is very black metal influenced for the most part.

I disagree, I think vocals and the guitars make black metal. The guitars are defitenely black metal but I consider them sorta like a doom/black sorta...it's really hard to define them imo

bands that follow in a sub-genre usually have very similiar vocal styles

Right, but it is by no means a requirement. By the logic that it is, Deicide would be black metal if Glen Benton screeched and screamed instead of growling. This is false; it is the heavy focus on rhythm, non-minimalistic, bass-heavy riffs and often obviously dynamic and technical song-structures that makes something death metal and not the fact that he uses "death vocals."

Then some people would claim death metal with some black vocals...IE CoB with the whole power metal w/ harsh vocals thing

CoB is just power metal... it's like saying "In the Nightside Eclipse is black metal with synths" it doesn't make it less black metal or some whole special genre because of it.

Early Ulver, Primordial, Negura Bunget, Enslaved, Drudkh, Summoning, Wolves in the Throne Room, Blut Aus Nord, Immortal and Burzum. "In the Nightside Eclipse" is a phenominal album, but Emperor, imo, is way overrated.

graveland
drudkh
deathspell omega
burzum
gorgoroth
carpathian forest
darkthrone
blut aus nord
hate forest
immortal/emperor (tie)

haha, i guess i cheated with that last one

Bathory
Weakling
Mayhem
Leviathan
Immortal
Deathspell Omega
Drudkh
Wolves in the Throne Room
Nachtmystium
Enslaved

I would put Celtic Frost in my list but I don't consider them Black metal.

including bands which are just partly blakmetal, like Primordial for example:

1. Primordial
2. Negura Bunget
3. Lunar Aurora
4. Emperor
5. Mayhem
6. Secrets Of The Moon
7. Deathspell Omega
8. Enslaved
9. Nagelfar
10. Solstafir

In no particular order:

Ved Buens Ende
Ulver
Nokturnal Mortum
Blut Aus Nord
Dissection
Glorior Belli
The Axis of Perdition (not completely black metal, but close enough)
Drudkh
Wolves in the Throne Room
Emperor

graveland
drudkh
deathspell omega
burzum
gorgoroth
carpathian forest
darkthrone
blut aus nord
hate forest
immortal/emperor (tie)

haha, i guess i cheated with that last one

Carpathian Forest!? Not that great at all. The rest of the list is pretty ace though.