TOP 10 GUITARISTS

I'm with you guys about Kiko. He's average. Nothing special.

In terms of what? Again, I agree that there are better chops than his, there are more complicated things out there, but Kiko has a sound and feel that is unique. I don't hear anyone else with the particular kind of musicality that I hear from him and I think more chops would actually hurt his sound. Of course it's up to the listener to decide whether one likes the style or not, but I don't at all agree that he is "nothing special" in terms of musicality. Maybe you just don't like his musicality, which is cool, but he is definitely above average at what he does.

I am a huge fan of prog and complex music, yet my favorite song on "No Gravity" is the title track, "No Gravity," which is the simplest song on the album.

I just really appreciate the mix of jazz / rock / fusion with the brazillian / cuban influences of his playing, as well as the rest of the band as a whole on that album (Universo Inverso), I really dig that stuff! Also the Hellborg / Eklundh album 'Art Metal' with its Indian influence, I love that ethnic sounding stuff... :)

I just really appreciate the mix of jazz / rock / fusion with the brazillian / cuban influences of his playing, as well as the rest of the band as a whole on that album (Universo Inverso), I really dig that stuff! Also the Hellborg / Eklundh album 'Art Metal' with its Indian influence, I love that ethnic sounding stuff... :)

I love the ethnic sounding stuff too,especially middle eastern,thats why i love ozric tentacles so much!!!:worship:notworthy

...noone is going to say alexi laiho...

i'm a bodom fan (i'm actually listening to them right now) but he isn't that great. i will be the first to admit that his writting is unique and interesting and even somewhat revolutionary, but i still wouldn't put him in the top 10. or maybe i would? well either way i wouldn't expect this group of vai/satch/petrucci fanatics to put alexi up there, hahaha. someone put him is on page one or two, i know that!

bodom is the only death vocal band i listen to. and it's simply because of alxi's guitar work.

My top ten in no particular order

1. Criss Oliva (Savatage)
2. Al Pitrelli (with Savatage)
3. Karl Groom (Threshold)
4. Marco Ahrens (Poverty's No Crime)
5. Stephan Lill (Vanden Plas)
6. Steve Stevens
7. Steve Vai
8. Derek Frigo (Enuff Z' Nuff)
9. Gary Werhkamp (Shadow Gallery)
10. Andy LaRocque (King Diamond)

In terms of what? Again, I agree that there are better chops than his, there are more complicated things out there, but Kiko has a sound and feel that is unique.

Maybe you just don't like his musicality, which is cool, but he is definitely above average at what he does.
maybe you didn't read either of my previous posts on this thread regarding who i'd rate as top 10 material..

In my opinion there is alot of criteria that needs to be met to be amounst the greatest. Some I can think of are

can you write great songs
can your work or your bands work be appreaciated by a majority
what have you brought to the table or are you just intensifying something we've already heard
are you diverse or is it always the same ol same ol
when playing solos, is playing fast the only thing you know how to do or can you actually make a guitar talk, cry & sing ?
OK so your fast, do you have any riffs that arent recycled Metallica & Megadeth riffs ?

I could go on but Im already starting to get ugly. To me the number one thing is what was brought to the table, is it fresh, is it digestable and does it have good taste

There by, in my opinion, there is not a single death or black metal guitar player that deserves any more than a long dip in a hot kettle of bleach

if noone says alexi laiho, im gona kill myself

I'm a big Alexi fan (before he gave up practicing and started drinking more) and I must say, Alexi comes nowhere near being in the top ten. He is a metal guitarist, not a virtuoso. Nowadays he plays the same solo, just rehashed. Same blues pentatonic patterns and the same E minor arpeggio. Less creative now than back in the Hatebreeder/Follow the Reaper days.