Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

Danny Brown isn't a band, he's a rapper, and an extremely different one that switches between a kind of low key "normal" sound and a much higher pitched, more manic style. If you don't like rap, I don't know how much enjoyment you'd get, but it's also not your typical rap.
Uh, I love Eminem but that's about it...

Mort is actually right on this one, Emotion is a damn solid album. I'd probably still put two metal albums over it though.

And let's not pretend that 95% of metal isn't ultimately a form of pop music anyways.

I don't think all pop music is shit - Marie Laforêt certainly isn't. There is a faint chance that I'm unfairly prejudging CRJ's most recent album. However, I must be given good reason to believe that it has pathos for it to be even remotely worthwhile. I looked up the page on RYM for that album, and it gave the descriptors of "happy, energetic, romantic, love, melodic, optimistic, summer, female vocals, uplifting, passionate, party", so I don't expect it to not suck.

This sounds like the most boring musical opinion ever. If it doesn't evoke feelings of sorrow and woe is me its not worth my time. I mean...I kind of get that but fuck, can't some music be just fun and happy? Are all metal fans just miserable as fuck joyless human beings?

But here goes I guess

Reactions: CiG
Alright Mort hit me with it, what makes that Carly Rae Jepsen stuff special? It just sounds like your average pop music to me. I'm not always on some sad boy shit, sometimes I get hyped, that music doesn't get me hyped.

This is pop stuff that gets me hyped:

you'd like mew and klimt 1918 probably

and emotion isn't going to blow you away with originality or anything, i mean the entire album is a tribute to 80s pop music basically (same with taylor swift's 1989, but god if carly isn't infinitely more likeable) so if trying to explain its quality through it being 'unique' is what you're trying to do you'll fail

its just really well written, fun and enjoyable stuff and despite what pitchfork and other media outlets might say, fucking loaded with personality (its just not the ridiculous larger than life personalities of swift, beyonce, kanye, etc.)

I used to love Mew back in the day, Frengers was so good. I kind of lost them along the way, not sure if they are still around or not. The new Klimt 1918 is definitely one of my favorites this year, their cover of Take My Breath Away is so good. Surprised me because I'd almost forgotten about them. I think Astronoid sounds a lot like DTP and Alcest too, even a little Coheed from time to time.

Also fuck Pitchfork.

This sounds like the most boring musical opinion ever. If it doesn't evoke feelings of sorrow and woe is me its not worth my time. I mean...I kind of get that but fuck, can't some music be just fun and happy? Are all metal fans just miserable as fuck joyless human beings?

Or maybe I can listen to music that is dark and uplifting.

Reactions: Draehl
My top 10 for this year is:

1. Omnium Gatherum - Grey Heavens
2. Megadeth - Dystopia
3. Insomnium - Winter's Gate
4. Dark Tranquility - Atoma
5. Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
6. Vredehammer - Violator
7. Gojira - Magma
8. Be'lakor - Vessels
9. Death Angel - The Evil Divide
10. Vektor - Terminal Redux

Reactions: Baroque
@Baroque

Here is the list including the reissues:

Gorphanage - May Cause Birth Defects (Chicago local)
Obscura - Akróasis
Primal Fear - Rulebreaker
Siegelord - Ascent of the Fallen (Local)
Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crépuscule
Killswitch Engage - Incarnate
Desolator - Spawn of Misanthropy (EP)
Deströyer 666 - Wildfire
Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
Sindrome - Resurrection: The Complete Collection (Compilation)
Metal Church - XI
Megadeth - Dystopia
Brutality - Sea of Ignorance
Abbath - Abbath
Ripper - Experiment of Existence
Verment - Death's Domain (Local)
Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows II
Nucleus - Sentient
Death Fortress - Deathless March of the Unyielding
Virulency - The Anthropodermic Manuscript of Retribution
Hemotoxin - Biological Enslavement
Fallujah - Dreamless
Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omniscience
DevilDriver - Trust No One
Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts
Katalepsy - Gravenous Hour
Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus Act I & II (Re-issue)
Striker - Stand in the Fire
Mortillery - Shapeshifter
Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
Spellcaster - Night Hides the World
Denner / Shermann - Masters of Evil
Revocation - Great Is Our Sin
Defeated Sanity - Disposal of the Dead / Dharmata
WarFather - The Grey Eminence
Shed the Skin - Harrowing Faith
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence
Opeth - Sorceress
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Testament - Brotherhood of the Snake
Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis
Vader - The Empire
Serpentine Dominion - Serpentine Dominion
Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
Bloodgate - Constructing the Bloodgate (EP/Local)
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Inherit Disease - Ephemeral

Last edited:
Reactions: Baroque
Why fag up this thread with pop music? Fuck off, no one cares.

1. Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
2. Ghoul - Dungeon Bastards
3. Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder
4. Tarot - Reflections
5. Sumerlands - s/t
6. High Spirits - Motivator
7. Destroyer 666 - Wildfire
8. Lord Vicar - The Gates of Flesh
9. Crowbar - The Serpent Only Lies
10. Tygers of Pan Tang - s/t

I feel like I missed a black metal somewhere but I'll need to look through my shit later.

Last edited:
1. Meshuggah - Violent Sleep of Reason
2. Cobalt - Slow Forever
3. D666 - Wildfire
4. Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
5. Vektor - Terminal Redux
6. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
7. Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder
8. Furia - Księżyc milczy luty
9. Obscura - Akroasis
10. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation

Just because they're EP's they must rule, right. Notice how I said the EP is great. Album of the year status worthy? Certainly not. Any imbecile can see this.

No what you did was imply that an EP can't be the best release of any given year, an imbecile can see that this is an asinine implication.