Top 10 One Album Heavy Metal Wonders

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
This may be an intersting topic to discuss and/or to pick our own list

http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/index.php?id=13

For starters I not only disagree with the whole list (except maybe Cynic although I don't like it) but also I don't own a single one of those :lol:

NP: Onward - 'The Last Sunset'

i dont really understand why queensryche is in there. its sad when a band releases only one good record especially if they go into the wrong direction like machine head did. if only they stook to what they did on burn my eyes, i would concider them one of the greatest bands of all time instead of a one album wonder band.

I really don't understand their reasoning for Possessed being owed a debt by the other Thrash Metal bands. Black and Death Metal bands, yes - but not Thrash.

The important factor in this list is this rule allowance:

"a band that has one magical album from their multi-album discography that totally overshadows everything else they've done. This is not to say their other albums are crap, but that they just do not come close to matching the brilliance of their one godlike album."

And that's highly subjective. Like the Motely Crue - Shout at the Devil. I will agree it was Crue's breakthrough, and most creative effort. And I do agree it was their best album. But I actually listen to Too Fast For Love more than I do SatD. So it wouldn't make it to my list.

I also find it blasphemy listing Mindcrime 1. Sure, that's my fave Queenryche album (and most of the world's), but it's not that much better than Rage for Order (or The Warning) for it to be listed as a one album wonder. :Smug:

Personally, not much comes to mind for me as one album wonders. Most bands I have at least two albums that kick ass. It would take me months to actually compile a top-10 list, and I have no interest in spending the time.

But I can offer two off the top of my head:

Fifth Angel - s/t
Q5 - Steel the Light

Both of those bands started out strong with their debut, gained major label interest (and contracts) and therefore switched to more of a "pop" format for their next album. Both tanked.

As an afterthought:

Maybe Demon - The Uexpected Guest. That album was their greatest work by far to my ears. Their later albums were more proggy and creative, but the Unexpected Guest was perfect metal to my ears. Still is.

I'd rather make a list of one hit EPs that never made an album list!

3rd Stage Alert - s/t
Alien - Cosmic Fantasy
Witchkiller - Day of the Saxons

sumairetsu said:
I really don't understand their reasoning for Possessed being owed a debt by the other Thrash Metal bands. Black and Death Metal bands, yes - but not Thrash.

Gotta disagree with ya here. That album is very thrash, to my thinking anyway. It is also, IMO, a classic album. A kind of groundbreaker that should get more attention that it does. I will say though, that they were not a one hit wonder. Beyond the Gates was good too.

Also, I agree with their inclusion of Shout At The Devil. I was crazy for that album when that was all there was to know about Motley Crue. I remember thinking I'd found one of the big ones. They COMPLETELY lost me after that. Never cared for them even slightly from Theater of Pain on. A fine enough band I suppose, but nothing even remotely resembling my cup of tea.

As to Quiet Riot, that album does not stand the test of time for me. One actual "hit," sure. But not really a very good album I think. Just me....

The only one of those listed that ive got is Cynic and that didnt really impress me much

Well I can't agree with the list because I too have never even heard most of whats on it. And personally I don't understand Cinderella being on the list, WTF? I'm not against it because its Glam (I do own it) but it definately isn't "amazing" or "godlike" IMO.

A couple of albums that come to mind for me are:

Jetboy - Another day in the Glamorous Life (although only released after the band broke-up it slays their other stuff)

Wildside - Under the Influence (Brilliant CD but their second album went grunge Yuk:ill: )

Savatage - Hall of the Mountian King (I know TSO won't agree but I think this album slays all the rest!)

And a few more:

King Kobra - Ready to Strike

Hardline - Double Eclipse

Kix - S/T

220 Volt - Eye to Eye

Dirty Looks - Cool from the Wire

Heaven - Bent

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather boys with Electric Toys

London Quireboys - A Bit of What you Fancy

Danzig - S/T

:headbang:

Including Queensrÿche is just wrong.:mad:
...and I'm not even going to comment on rokk's Savatage suggestion.:mad:

Out of newer bands, I'd like to nominate Seven Witches and Passage To The Other Side. The stuff before and after is run-of-the-mill US power metal, but that one's a near-classic in my book.

"a band that has one magical album from their multi-album discography that totally overshadows everything else they've done. This is not to say their other albums are crap, but that they just do not come close to matching the brilliance of their one godlike album."

Like TSO pointed that's absolutely subjective, and thus here I go :D

Megadeth - "Rust In Peace"
Metal Church - "Blessing In Disguise"
Metallica - "Master Of Puppets"
Riot - "Thundersteel"
Rush - "2112"
Cathedral - "The Ethereal Mirror"
Coroner - "Mental Vortex"
Bruce Dickinson - "Accident Of Birth"
Diamond Head - "Lightning To The Nations"

NP: The Flower Kings - 'The Unorthodox Dancing Lesson'

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Riot - Thundersteel
Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding
Falconer- Falconer
Brainstorm- Soul Temptaion
Pain Of Salvation- Remedy Lane
Masterplan- Masterplan
Sacred Reich- Independent
Overkill- From The Underground And Below

I own 8 of the 10 (not Cynic and Possessed) but I only agree with The Crown and a couple others. Too Fast For Love is too good. Queensryche has at least 3 other albums that rank up there with Mindcrime. And IMO, although it didn't enjoy the success of Metal Health, Condition Critical is a much better album.

I think if this list was compiled with more albums like Fifth Angel and King Kobra that you guys mentioned, it would have more validity.

You guys were kidding with Riot - Thundersteel, right? It's kind of hard to overshadow Fire Down Under.

BTW, At The Gates SOTS came out in 1995, not 1992 like this thing says.

rokk said:
Savatage - Hall of the Mountian King (I know TSO won't agree but I think this album slays all the rest!)
Not only do I disagree, but you've got at least 30 lashes coming from a wet noodle when I see you in a few weeks. Trust me, I'll be sharpening my pasta whip. :mad:

Platinum Maze said:
You guys were kidding with Riot - Thundersteel, right? It's kind of hard to overshadow Fire Down Under.
That's what I was thinking! I love Thundersteel, just listened to it last night, but Fire Down Under is better IMO. Which, of course, disqualifies them from competition in this list.

NP: Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus

Sorry to sound like a guru, but EVERYONE forgot Powermad's "Absolute Power."

That is a top 20 thrash release if there ever has been one. They broke up before releasing another and previously, they had only two EPs that weren't even a miniscule of what the AP release was. Had this band come out five years earlier..... no telling what they could have done.

Bryant

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
That's what I was thinking! I love Thundersteel, just listened to it last night, but Fire Down Under is better IMO. Which, of course, disqualifies them from competition in this list.

And I disagree with you three!
I never understood all the fuss about FDU. It's a good album, but I wouldn't give it a "masterpiece" status... Thundersteel OTOH definitely deserves such status, but so do Inishmore, Brethren and many more Riot's albums. Take that! :p

But I agree that for example "Rust In Peace" overshadows anything else Megadeth's done. It's really their peak moment...

Wyvern said:
Diamond Head - "Lightning To The Nations"

Well I'm hardcore Diamond Head fan but I have to agree that their first album Lightning to the Nations is just far superior than everything else they put out. Don't get me wrong I love all their albums but Lightning is absolutely sensational and in fact its my fav album of all time. Every song on it totally rocks bigtime and I'll never get tired of listening to that masterpiece. I've still got the original Lightning album that I bought at the gig the first time I saw Diamond Head but I recently got the remastered CD with additional songs on it, so thats fab as well.

I've not seen Diamond Head with their new singer yet, they are playing a handful of dates in England next month, so I'm praying that after those gigs, they will head up here so I can see them again. Their new album All Will Be Revealed is really good and I've also got a promo DVD with the new singer doing Am I Evil and he is brilliant at that song.

SickBoy said:
And I disagree with you three!
I never understood all the fuss about FDU. It's a good album, but I wouldn't give it a "masterpiece" status... Thundersteel OTOH definitely deserves such status, but so do Inishmore, Brethren and many more Riot's albums. Take that! :p
Booo! Hissss! All I got to says to ya, Sickboy, is: "SWORDS and TEQUILA! Carry me through the night! :headbang:

NP: Riot - FIRE DOWN UNDER, BABY!