Top 10 One Album Heavy Metal Wonders

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
That's what I was thinking! I love Thundersteel, just listened to it last night, but Fire Down Under is better IMO. Which, of course, disqualifies them from competition in this list.

What hapened with subjectiveness Ryan? :mad: My subjectiveness is more important to me than your subjectiveness, therefore you have to agree with my subjective point of view regardless of your subjective point of view.

I don't desqualify your subjective "Fire Down Under" as long as you objectively agree with my subjective "Thundersteel", right?

NP: cannibal Corpse - 'Hatched To The Head'

No-Mercy said:
Falconer- Falconer

Pardon the slight offtopic, but man, Chapters From A Vale Forlorn is right up there with the debut. Not a bad song to be found on those two. The two after that are embarrassingly bad though, Göbel's voice is just generic to the maximum and well, the songs suck. I'm glad they got Blad back, that voice is just majestic.:kickass:

I don't really see why Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare makes the list. Oppressing The Masses is just as good. And Slaughter of the Soul doesn't "overshadow" anything!

Wyvern said:
What hapened with subjectiveness Ryan? :mad: My subjectiveness is more important to me than your subjectiveness, therefore you have to agree with my subjective point of view regardless of your subjective point of view.

I don't desqualify your subjective "Fire Down Under" as long as you objectively agree with my subjective "Thundersteel", right?
Umm...well, whatever you say, buddy. I can't argue with that, mostly because I'm as dizzy as Sickboy. :D

Hell, at least we're arguing about how great Riot is, I'm sure they'd take pleasure in that!

tsorl said:
Pardon the slight offtopic, but man, Chapters From A Vale Forlorn is right up there with the debut. Not a bad song to be found on those two. The two after that are embarrassingly bad though, Göbel's voice is just generic to the maximum and well, the songs suck. I'm glad they got Blad back, that voice is just majestic.:kickass:
I actually like Chapters a little more. It was more laid back than the debut, but the songwriting really matured. I'll also agree that losing Mattias Blad nearly killed the band. He is their vocalist and always should be. He fits the music so well. I'm looking forward to the new one.

NP: Sieges Even - Art of Navigating...

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Umm...well, whatever you say, buddy. I can't argue with that, mostly because I'm as dizzy as Sickboy. :D

Hell, at least we're arguing about how great Riot is, I'm sure they'd take pleasure in that!

Amen to that :worship: :D

For example Faclconer is not a band for this topic because the first two albums are very good to me almost to the same level, so even the if the next two were absolutely subpar material, I can't pick the debut or CFAVF

NP: Memory Garden - 'Tragic Kingdom'

Hmmm interesting topic! Three that come to mind for me are Wildside with Under The Influence, Cinderella with Night Songs, and Shotgun Messiah self titled. The Wildside and Shotgun Messiah albums are both in my all time top 10, but Shotgun's 2nd & 3rd albums suck and Wildside pretty much disappeared, haven't even bothered with their other release. And Cinderella I don't like after Night Songs because they went too bluesy, I like about 4 songs on Long Cold Winter and hate the 2 albums after it, but I love Night Songs!

Alot of glam/hair bands from the late 80s & early 90s only released one album, or only had one notable or major album worth getting, and then either changed their style and went crap (90s/alternative) or only put out CDs of demos and live stuff or unreleased/dropped albums coming out 10 years later through Perris, etc. Here are some examples of bands who fit into this category, that I like just for that one album then either disappeared or only put out stuff I'm not interested in or independent demo/live/unreleased CDs.

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz
Roxx Gang - Things You've Never Done Before
Tuff - What Comes Around Goes Around
Heaven's Edge - Heaven's Edge
Hericane Alice - Tear The House Down
Johnny Crash - Neighbourhood Threat
Arcade - Arcade
Trouble Tribe - Trouble Tribe
Gypsy Rose - Prey
Silent Rage - Don't Touch Me There (they had an rare earlier album Shattered Hearts but I dont like it)
Spread Eagle - Spread Eagle
Cats In Boots - Kicked & Klawed
Hurricane - Over The Edge
Heavy Bones - Heavy Bones
Candy Harlots - Five Wicked Ways
Roxus - Nightstreet

Etc. :)

I recall the M-R crew disliked Grave Diggers Excalibur so I have absolutely no faith in anything else they have to say!

I would say Warrior's Fighting for the Earth was an awesome metal album - years later i heard some more of their catalogue/late 90's stuff and I wasnt even sure they were the same band...

Priest of Evil said:
I would say Warrior's Fighting for the Earth was an awesome metal album - years later i heard some more of their catalogue/late 90's stuff and I wasnt even sure they were the same band...

Actually wasn't. Warrior catalogue is hsort and plagued with big gaps in-between been the only constant Joe Floyd. The line ups for the four albums are:

Perry McCarty
Joe Floyd
Tommy Asakawa
Rick Bennett
Liam Jason

Perry McCarty
Joe Floyd
Mick Perez
Sam
Dave Ducey

Rob Rock
Joe Floyd
Mick Perez
Simon Oliver
Dave Ducey

Marc Storace
Joe Floyd
Mick Perez
Simon Oliver
Dave Ducey

Been McCarty the best vocalist IMO, nevertheless "Ancient Future" is as good or better than FFTE, while "Code Of Life" is weaker and I didn't like the samples I heard from the last one so I skip it.

^better than FFTE I have to hear this! I thought that was one of the albums i sampled, maybe i was mistaken.

Still, that was my point all along FFTE was a one hit metal wonder. thanks for the lineup info Wyv, very interesting. FFTE rules and Im gonna transfer my vinyl to CD very shortly...

Priest of Evil said:
^better than FFTE I have to hear this! I thought that was one of the albums i sampled, maybe i was mistaken.

Still, that was my point all along FFTE was a one hit metal wonder. thanks for the lineup info Wyv, very interesting. FFTE rules and Im gonna transfer my vinyl to CD very shortly...

Anytime ;) Actually I do have FFTE in CD, it took me a lot to get it but I made it because I became a huge fan of the band after listening to "Ancient Future".

NP: Barón Rojo - 'Resistiré'

I got to Mindcrime at #2 and just about had a fit. Then I got to Cinderella at #8 and did have a fit. Long Cold Winter is a much better album than Night Songs. Shout at the Devil? PLEASE! Too Fast is just as good, in my opinion.

My one (off the top of my head) for flash in the pan? Icon's self-titled debut.

Wheezer said:
I got to Mindcrime at #2 and just about had a fit. Then I got to Cinderella at #8 and did have a fit. Long Cold Winter is a much better album than Night Songs. Shout at the Devil? PLEASE! Too Fast is just as good, in my opinion.

I actually like their second album "Night of the Crime" more. :)

Wheezer said:

ICON. That's another awesome one.

How about Badlands(Jake E. Lee and Ray Gillen)
Circus Of Power-S/T

I also agree with Fifth Angel,King Kobra,Pretty Boy Floyd

Has anyone heard of a band called Treponem Pal-1 album wonders??

Continuing in the 'highly subjective' vein:

Y&T - Earthshaker
Vow Wow - Cyclone
Vinnie Vincent Invasion - s/t
Tobruk - Wild on the Run
Skid Row - Slave to the Grind