Top 25 Doom Metal Albums of All Time ✝️✝️✝️ (Epic and Traditional Doom Metal)

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
I've been watching some videos on this YouTube channel and I enjoyed this one:

There are three separate lists: one by a music journalist, one by the guy that runs the channel, and one voted on by the followers on his Discord.

What do you think? What's on your list?

Perhaps if enough folks get involved we can do some kind of tally.

Reactions: Bloopy
Ok, I'm game. Did my best to focus primarily on epic or traditional doom, while still finding 25 to scrape together. I guess I need to check out the ones I don't know and make some discoveries instead of having 6 Saint Vitus albums in there. ;)

1. Candlemass - Ancient Dreams
2. The House of Capricorn - In the Devil's Days
3. Saint Vitus - V
4. Pentagram - Last Rites
5. Candlemass - Nightfall
6. Pagan Altar - Pagan Altar (a.k.a. Volume 1 / Judgement of the Dead)
7. Northwinds - Winter
8. Pentagram - Be Forewarned
9. Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
10. Candlemass - Tales of Creation
11. Pagan Altar - The Room of Shadows
12. Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...
13. Northwinds - Chimeres
14. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
15. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
16. Northwinds - Great God Pan
17. Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard
18. Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries
19. VVARP - First Levitations
20. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (1984)
21. Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
22. Pentagram - Curious Volume
23. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (2019)
24. Northwinds - Eternal Winter
25. Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour

Reactions: SonOfNun
No revelation...with that garbage first ten. Insulted!

Dooms pretty samey though, ranking 25 usually has the same releases, not that exciting. Pretty unadventurous list though

I've been watching some videos on this YouTube channel and I enjoyed this one:

There are three separate lists: one by a music journalist, one by the guy that runs the channel, and one voted on by the followers on his Discord.

What do you think? What's on your list?

Perhaps if enough folks get involved we can do some kind of tally.

im not watching a 30 minute vid. What are the lists?

I havent listened to trad doom in a while, but any list without Rev Biz, Pagan Altar, Solstice, and Blood Farmers is dead to me.

Good to some love for Northwinds, Bloopy

No revelation...with that garbage first ten. Insulted!

Dooms pretty samey though, ranking 25 usually has the same releases, not that exciting. Pretty unadventurous list though

You should be able to put together a pretty good list.

im not watching a 30 minute vid. What are the lists?

I havent listened to trad doom in a while, but any list without Rev Biz, Pagan Altar, Solstice, and Blood Farmers is dead to me.

Good to some love for Northwinds, Bloopy

Click the last little yellow tab (the one that says "Summary") at the bottom of the video where it shows the time. This one is for trad and epic. They did another video for Extreme Doom which we could also do separately if this thread gets some action.

not too many surprises on the first list. pretty typical choices. Count Raven too low and Warning is way too high.

the readers list has a few anomalies like Electric Wazrd (barf) and The Wizar'd (which isnt horrible. maybe they got better?). Nice seeing Mythical and Magical so high

third list. hell yeah M&M. Cathedral sucks

overall. they are up Candlemass' ass. jeez, man. And they pretty much ignored the Maryland doom scene except for a few The Obsessed picks.

no surprises really. usual suspects with a few oddities thrown in for some faux metal cred

I checked out about 20-25 albums on the basis of the video/this thread, a few of which I've tried before. The only one that might compete for a spot on my list is Spiritus Mortis - The God Behind the God. Great sound. The vocals are amusingly awkward at times but it's part of the charm.

Vocals are usually the #1 element that makes or breaks a band for me, eg. Count Raven's vocals didn't get a rise out of me at all. Gotta have the cataclysmic riffs too though as I never quite got into Memento Mori despite loving Candlemass.

I do like different albums from 2 of the bands listed. I'd endorse Crypt Sermon - The Ruins of Fading Light (over Out of the Garden) and The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror (over Suffer No Guilt). Some other bands such as Trouble, DoomSword and Blood Ceremony also weren't too far off my list.

Could investigate the extreme doom one sometime, though my list would lean heavily towards drone/doom. Leaves a gap where lighter stoner metal bands that are not so doomy get skipped over despite being in the same realm, but whatever.

not too many surprises on the first list. pretty typical choices. Count Raven too low and Warning is way too high.

the readers list has a few anomalies like Electric Wazrd (barf) and The Wizar'd (which isnt horrible. maybe they got better?). Nice seeing Mythical and Magical so high

third list. hell yeah M&M. Cathedral sucks

overall. they are up Candlemass' ass. jeez, man. And they pretty much ignored the Maryland doom scene except for a few The Obsessed picks.

no surprises really. usual suspects with a few oddities thrown in for some faux metal cred

After that strident critique we're gonna have to see your list sir (I pretty much agree with your analysis :D).

I checked out about 20-25 albums on the basis of the video/this thread, a few of which I've tried before. The only one that might compete for a spot on my list is Spiritus Mortis - The God Behind the God. Great sound. The vocals are amusingly awkward at times but it's part of the charm.

Vocals are usually the #1 element that makes or breaks a band for me, eg. Count Raven's vocals didn't get a rise out of me at all. Gotta have the cataclysmic riffs too though as I never quite got into Memento Mori despite loving Candlemass.

I do like different albums from 2 of the bands listed. I'd endorse Crypt Sermon - The Ruins of Fading Light (over Out of the Garden) and The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror (over Suffer No Guilt). Some other bands such as Trouble, DoomSword and Blood Ceremony also weren't too far off my list.

Could investigate the extreme doom one sometime, though my list would lean heavily towards drone/doom. Leaves a gap where lighter stoner metal bands that are not so doomy get skipped over despite being in the same realm, but whatever.

I like the vocals in Count Raven. Lindersson on the first album and Fondelius on the later albums actually sound pretty similar. I think the latter's vocals got better over time (see Mammons' War). I just recently got into Memento Mori and I actually liked Songs For the Apocalypse a lot more than the first album that made this list.

I for the most part don't get or like drone, stoner, sludge, or funeral. Death/Doom is cool though. Trad and Epic are best.

After that strident critique we're gonna have to see your list sir (I pretty much agree with your analysis :D).

I dont even know anymore. It's been so long since I paid attention to anything remotely trad doom-y.

The ones I held onto are 40 Watt Sun, Warning, Sabbath, Mirror of Deception (a fave of mine), Rev Biz, Ereb Altor, Blood Farmers, Ogre (if they count), Gods Tower, Pagan Altar, Solstice, Unsilence. Throw in Apocalypse Orchestra is they count.

That's not to say I dislike others. I went through a time with the ex where selling part of the collection was needed financially. And I never bought any of them back, though I'm in the best financial position I've ever been in now. Searching out and paying high dollar for OOP doom (or any genre) CDs does not interest me

I do remember enjoying Penance, Iron Man, Internal Void, Unorthodox (if they count), Revelation, Against Nature, Vitus, Pentagram (Last Daze Here, that's one I need again, WHOA!), Count Raven, Lord Vicar, among others.

You have interesting tastes in Doom. I like this list:

I do remember enjoying Penance, Iron Man, Internal Void, Unorthodox (if they count), Revelation, Against Nature, Vitus, Pentagram (Last Daze Here, that's one I need again, WHOA!), Count Raven, Lord Vicar, among others.

more than this list:

The ones I held onto are 40 Watt Sun, Warning, Sabbath, Mirror of Deception (a fave of mine), Rev Biz, Ereb Altor, Blood Farmers, Ogre (if they count), Gods Tower, Pagan Altar, Solstice, Unsilence. Throw in Apocalypse Orchestra is they count.

I think if you did a list it would be pretty different that the ones in these videos and probably from a lot of other folks.

I went through a time with the ex where selling part of the collection was needed financially.

Sorry to hear about that man.

Searching out and paying high dollar for OOP doom (or any genre) CDs does not interest me

But that's one of the joys of life!

I think they're sabbath album is overlooked. and if I could make a best of comp from songs on the 1st five albums, i would love it.

Solitude would not be on it

I could probably do a Top 25 of just Trouble, Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Count Raven, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, and a few high quality one-offs.

I know my Top 3, but I couldn't rank the rest right now.