Top 5 Favourite bands (to get an idea of range)

My favourite bands (besides Anathema):

* The Tea Party
* Katatonia
* The Cranberries
* Paradise Lost
* The Gathering

I adore lots of other bands as well (i.e. Tool/A Perfect Circle, Type O Negative, Opeth and EverEve) but these are the ones that I've been consistently listening to over the past years.

My favourites are changing all the time, but heres the top five biggies of my life. Funnily enough, each one has a definite point at which they turned shit.

1. YES ( pre 1978. Horn / Rabin ? Anything with a Trevor in is banned ! Never say Trevor again !!! Owwnneer ooff aa loonnelly hheeaarrtt !?! Dogshit! )

2. IRON MAIDEN ( pre 1990. Blaze Bayley? Janick Gers? You raped me. Pass me the bumsoap! HHoollee ssmookke Hoollee Smmokkee. OOyy, Maiiiddenn - NNOOOOOOO!!!)

3. GENESIS ( Pre 1975. Peter Gabriel, not that bald tit. Ahem ...)

4. PINK FLOYD ( Except those last two albums. Intooo thee diissttaarrnccee? - Dogshit ! )

5. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE ( pre 1974. Not Starhip!! Puff Music. )

But at the moment, Im flirting with PJHarvey, Ultravox, Rolling Stones, Tori Amos, Pearl Jam, Van Morrison.

SORRY! Ahermmmm. I mean Katatonia, err Paradise Lost err errr My Dying Biird errr and errrrrrrrrrrrrr

:hotjump:

Originally posted by Mick Moss
But at the moment, Im flirting with PJHarvey, Ultravox, Rolling Stones, Tori Amos, Pearl Jam, Van Morrison.

SORRY! Ahermmmm. I mean Katatonia, err Paradise Lost err errr My Dying Biird errr and errrrrrrrrrrrrr

:hotjump:

:D :D

Let it be (for today):

Anathema, Antimatter, Diorama, Sopor Aeternus, Skepticism.

Some of those lists are pretty good, although it's clear that my tastes are better than all of yours :Smokedev:

In no special order;

Tool, Anathema, Old Theatre of Tragedy, Layne Staley (every song he's in, and every group Alice In Chains and Mad Season) and the fifth changes every day.

Originally posted by Mick Moss
But at the moment, Im flirting with [...] Tori Amos]/i]

fucking ace. tori amos rules. it's a shame she's feminist and ginger hehe

peace,
mehdi

tori amos is fantanstic and there's nothing wrong with being ginger !!! and i dont think she's that feminist, i think she's real.
:bah:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I decided to list 10, seeing as how my top 5 is dominated by doom-type stuff, my top 10 is a little more diverse than that :p The top 5 has been that way for a few years now.....

1. My Dying Bride (as if you couldn't guess ;))
2. Anathema
3. Katatonia
4. Bolt Thrower
5. In The Woods... (R.I.P :cry: )
6. Death (R.I.P :cry: :cry: )
7. Iron Maiden
8. Opeth
9. The Gathering
10. Mayhem

sorry i dont call that diverse, but you have every right to listen to whatever you want.
now if you had said the bonzo dog doo daa band, followed by anal cunt and bad religion,i'd call that diverse...

Originally posted by pagan2002
tori amos is fantanstic and there's nothing wrong with being ginger !!! and i dont think she's that feminist, i think she's real.
:bah:

isn't she involved in all these feminist actions? i don't remember. bah, anyway, she's an amazing artist, and that's all that matters. and i'm not sure but i think i read somewhere she's not a REAL ginger hehe

peace,
mehdi

no particular order

Anathema
- of course. love seeing how they evolve..
they're my favourite Pokémon! :confused:

Stone Temple Pilots
- can't explain it. something magical about
their songs. never heard anything like them.

Manowar
- who doesn't love these guys? :lol:

Dream Theater
- brilliant songs and lyrics. their fans seem
to go on and on about their technical skills,
but i can't say i agree - there are lots of
better drummers and bass-players etc. out
there. it's their songs i like.

Porcupine Tree
- another much liked Pokémon...

Alice in Chains
- had a big influence on me. have all the
albums and side-projects.. Staley will be
missed by many. :cry:

Originally posted by Light

Why is it that most metal-fans listen only to metal?

I don't know about that. Sure, most people's lists were metal orientated, but it's a bloody big genre when you think about it. Plus most people listed Anathema which isn't metal these days. Same goes for Antimatter.

Apart from metal, I really love classical music- probably as much as metal. Only I just included metallish bands in my list because that's how I was thinking at the time.

Actually, a proper all encompassing list would look like this for me:

1. Tchaikovsky
2. Katatonia
3. Anathema
4. The Beatles
5. Simon and Garfunkle/ Paul Simon.

Now, I'm not saying Anathema etc are better than the Beatles, but just that the music hits me more... you know what I mean...

Originally posted by requiem
5. Simon and Garfunkle/ Paul Simon.

:D if it's a nice sunny day i usually put on Paul Simon - Concert In The Park ('91) and turn it up loud.. it doesn't get any better than that!

Originally posted by Light

Why is it that most metal-fans listen only to metal?

Probably the same reason why a lot of non-metal people wont listen to metal. Everyone is scared of The Devil:devil:
Some people are afraid that they will become wimps or something if they listen to 'other stuff' and because of these types, non-metal people think that metal fans are nerds and weirdos. Put on yer best goatie and growl to Pantera:mad:
"grrrr! Im angry"