Top 5 Favourite bands (to get an idea of range)

Originally posted by Light
Why is it that most metal-fans listen only to metal?
Ahh, but the question was what are your favourite bands, not how diverse are your listening habits :D I mean, I spent 10 years playing classical guitar, I even studied classical music at university, I love opera (proper, live opera, not that Pavaroti-sings-10-songs-that-he-likes-on-a-cd crap) etc etc. I not a big fan of jazz, but there is some I like (Al Di Meola is great, although his last few albums have kinda sucked.....) blah blah blah (I could go on but I won't, you get the point).
For me, I need music that is reasonably complex, or atleast with some cool guitar playing (me being a guitarist and all....). The only places I currently feel I can find that is classical, jazz, and metal (*warning* generalisation *warning* ;)). So I listen mostly to metal because that's what interests me currently, but really I'm open to anything :D

Sorry, but I kinda got the impression that your comment was directed, or atleast inspired in some way by me, so felt I should answer it :)

1. Opeth
2. Dream Theater
3. Symphony X
4. Katatonia
5. Alice in chains
6. Emperor
7. Kyuss
8. Dan Swano/Nightingale/Edge of Sanity
9. Buckethead
10. Anathema

lol I listen to tons of stuff, honorable mentions goto Mahavishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs, I adore Cacophony and Jason Becker...and of course I wouldn't be a true shredder w/o citing Bach, Paganini, and Vivaldi...hehe

i wish there WAS a band called indecipherable vocals... at least its an honest name... i've got a bit of nostalgia for the european doom/whatever scene, and i'm just having a bit of fun... if you want to hear that type of music, look no further than gothic by paradise lost. its never been bettered... 10 years and counting...

In no particular order:

Faith No More
Anathema
Dark Tranquillity
The 3rd & The Mortal
Swans

Some of them are liable to change from time to time. Not Anathema though....

Originally posted by pagan2002
i wish there WAS a band called indecipherable vocals... at least its an honest name...

Danny, can you find where you wrote that post where you made fun of certain doom bands' names?

Because I replied to it...making fun of Radiohead etc...

and now it's not there. Neither is yours, mate. I think Mega pulled it again.

If he did, and I'm not mistaken, I won't be coming back to this forum.

sorry dude, i asked him to remove them cause i thought i may have offended someone. he hasnt removed anything for a while unless i asked him to. i think now he knows people dont want him to. still your radiohead one was funny. anyone else wanna write some funny band names? they can be real or imagined, with funny song titles. martin powell i san expert at this. he had a band called orthapedic shoe!
i'll start it off, i saw a few funny names at milwaukee metal fest, one was metal tears, which i thought was great!
:D

i remeber whe i was on holiday with some close friends we got drunk and then we made funny names from almost all metallica (and ssome anathema) songs - there was one rule : in every title there had to be word "cycki" (english "boobs" or "tits"), for instance : master of tits, and tits for all, the silent tits, a dying tits, nocturnal tits, fragile tits, enter tits, sad but tits, holier than tits, tits remains and plenty more. there was so much fun... try yourself!!!

1. Anathema
2. Iron Maiden
3. Soulfly
4. Moonspell
5. Pink Floyd

And a lot of others (Nirvana, old Metallica, System of a Down, Within Temptation, Heideroosjes, Channel Zero, Fear Factory, Katatonia, Tool, well guess I can't stop..) but those 5 first are really the best