TOP 5 RELEASES IN 2007 SO FAR...

I can say the same about dark tranquillity....what did you see in fiction sir?

Excellent production, vastly improved song-structures and plenty of variety both within the songs and between them - a thing that was somewhat lacking in their previous two albums. Songs like The Lesser Faith, Icipher, Inside the Particle Storm, Misery's Crown and The Mundane and the Magic are nothing like the songs on Character or Damage Done (which were very good in their own way), IMHO.

I have been disappointed with a multitude of bands and albums over the years, but despite my incredibly high expectations Fiction is certainly not a disappointment to me. Actually, I think it's their best album ever.

-Villain

In no particular order, my favourite ten releases this year so far

Candlemass - King of the grey islands
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Paradise Lost - In requiem
Megadeth - United abominations
Angantyr - Hävn
Shining - V:Halmstad
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Darkestrah - Epos
Watain - Sworn to the dark
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde

It's spelled Amesoeurs* sry. Trust teh frenchie. ^_^

Any idea where to get Ruines humaines btw? *cough*

Behemoth - The Apostasy
Nile - Ithyphallic
Marduk - Rom 5:12
Ensiferum - Victory Songs
Megadeth - United Abominations

NOT Nightwish.

I am now listening to the "long-awaited" Amaranth and cringing five times per second. I haven't heard the rest of the album, will do soon but from the few songs I have sampled I think I will cry throughout the experience.

It sounds like fucking Roxette. If you were growing up during the 80s, you will know I am right.

Not that I dislike Roxette per se, but they deliver a feeling that has absolutely zilch to do with what I expect from Nightwish. Dark passion play, my grandmother doing cartwheels.

So please someone enlighten me: now which corners I am supposed to look into if I really, really want something that feels like dark passion play rather than merely being misnamed after it?

NOT Nightwish.

I am now listening to the "long-awaited" Amaranth and cringing five times per second. I haven't heard the rest of the album, will do soon but from the few songs I have sampled I think I will cry throughout the experience.

It sounds like fucking Roxette. If you were growing up during the 80s, you will know I am right.

Not that I dislike Roxette per se, but they deliver a feeling that has absolutely zilch to do with what I expect from Nightwish. Dark passion play, my grandmother doing cartwheels.

So please someone enlighten me: now which corners I am supposed to look into if I really, really want something that feels like dark passion play rather than merely being misnamed after it?

Yes, it does sound like Roxette. The album's a complete mess. A freaking car crash. That first, long epic song was pretty decent, so I thought it might not be as bad after all, but by the next track it all goes straight to hell. It's totally unremarkable and boring. The ballads are the most disgusting of all.

New Dimension Zero. Good ol' ultrafast melodic death with cool leads, no catchy songs this time (but catchy'ish ;) ), solid release, some might like it :kickass:

I'm quite happy with it.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli (haven't seen much mention of this)

Actually a really good groovy album, but it's not what I usually listen to... Apostasy is abysmal utter shit to me, btw.

I like 'The Apostasy', but the problem I have with Behemoth is that all of its albums are interchangeable among themselves. They're all pretty much at the same level, and have the same effect in me. Whenever I want to listen to Behemoth, I just put 'Zos Kia Cultus' in the CD player, and I'm done with it.

I actually prefer Melechesh's 'Emissaries' to both 'The Apostasy' and Nile's 'Ithyphallic'. The riffs are a bit odder and catchier, and it's got as much energy.

As for Dimmu's new one... come on, it's the same crap rehashed into infinity. Haven't heard the new Dimension Zero, but Gothenburg hardly does it for me lately. Might check it out later, though.

1: Red Harvest - A Greater Darkness
2: Dodheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast
3: Vintersorg - Solens Rötter
4: Neurosis - Given to the Rising
5: G.U.T. - My Only Drug is Madness

btw, I just read the official statement by Century Media about DT participating on the Eastpak Antidote tour with Soilwork, that's gonna be one awesome night!
I hope they'll be headlining on the Utrecht, Holland show.

:kickass: There has been some good ones:heh:

1: Dark Tranquillity - Fiction.
2: Type O Negative - Dead Again.
3: Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea.
4: Before The Dawn - Deadlight.
6: Swallow The Sun - Hope.
7: Compos Mentis - Gehennisis.
8: Souldrainer - Reborn.
9: Novembers Doom - The Pale Hunt Departure.
10: Lake Of Tears - Moons and Moshrooms