Top 50 Riffs in Extreme Metal

these riffs are all kickass, but IMO thrash has tha best riffs examples:
kreator: murder fantasies, suicide terroritst, coma of souls, betrayer, love us or hate us, flag of hate, fatal energy( go to about 50 secs into it, after the starting wah solo) list is endless.

testament: ALOT, over the wall, preactice what you preach, alone in the dark( also, has THEE best intro ever, skolnick 4 life), down for life blah blah blah

anthrax: deathrider, indians, madhouse, A.I.R, metal thrashin mad etc.

ecodus: the toxic waltz(kick ass riff), bonded by blood, lesson in violecnce, only death decide's, war is my shepard, impaler blah blah.

artillery: the challenge, beneath the clay, khomaniac, by inheritance, in the trash etc.

and millions more, oh lets not forget death angel's intro to 'the ultra violence' btw bullet's(emo fag's) 'hand of blood' ripped it off.

i love death metal riffs too.. but they are just too = unhearable and repetitive IMO. also the opening riff to 'benighted - icon' kicks ass 2 (french brutal death metal)

oh and destruction rule also.. good riff = destruction - death trap( try and get it from thrash anthems album cox production just makes it sound better unlike some cases).

metal 4 life!!!!!!! thrash till' death
-----------------------------------------------------------------
west belfast YEOOOOOOO!

Yes. Darkthrone songs in general have great riffs. Also, this list sucks due to its lack of black metal and a few of the other obvious flaws.

Darkhrone had great riffs on Soulside Journey. Black Metal is not generally really riff oriented in a sense and do not really think of it as a style that has good riffs.

just my opinion though

Darkthrone actually originally had good guitar playing and than decided not to play.

Darkhrone had great riffs on Soulside Journey. Black Metal is not generally really riff oriented in a sense and do not really think of it as a style that has good riffs.

just my opinion though

Darkthrone actually originally had good guitar playing and than decided not to play.

Black Metal have some of the best riffs, IMO of course.

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Mayhem - Buried By Time And Dust
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Satyricon - Mother North
Emperor - I Am The Black Wizards
Deathspell Omega - Kenose III
Keep Of Kalessin - Crown Of Kings (0:26-0:39)
Ulver - Hymn 1 (0:11)

et all

Remember that you're talking to The Greys. He thinks that the guy from Old Man's Child is the best guitarist in black metal. Just ignore his opinions and make fun of him for liking Bloodbath.

Here's some newer ones that I like:

Lunar Aurora - Findling
Urfaust - Drudenfuß
Drudkh - Glare of Autumn

What makes a lot of BM riffs so good, I think, is that they sound so great, despite (or quite possibly because of) repetition. They naturally just sound good when repeated over and over.

IMO.

I think this list has some good picks and some terrible picks. The number one pick is cliche and overrated imo.

just my opinion though

Darkthrone didn't stop having good guitar playing on their black metal stuff, it's very good.