Top albums of 2008

1. Meshuggah - ObZen
2. The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
3. Sigur Ros - Með suð i eyrum við spilum endalaust
4. The Presets - Apocalypso
5. De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig - De Machine (Dutch band)
6. Voicst - A Tale of Two Devils (Dutch band)
7. Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior
8. Duffy - Rockferry
9. Demians - Building an Empire
10. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
11. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
12. Le Le - Flage (Dutch band)
13. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
14. Mercenary - Architect of Lies
15. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
16. Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine
17. Evergrey - Torn

I never got into the new Opeth or Dillinger Escape Plan. New Communic wasn't that interesting either. New dredg is probably ending up somewhere around the top 5 if it comes out this year.

I loved the first demo and Towers of Avarice, loved to the point of obsession, even have a shirt and long sleeve from the towers... age.

But I can't get into the new singer, Erik was very superior.

This guy was good in Power of Omens, but he doesn't fit well with the crunch of ZH, and when he sings high is voice is terribly irritating.

I loved the first demo and Towers of Avarice, loved to the point of obsession, even have a shirt and long sleeve from the towers... age.

But I can't get into the new singer, Erik was very superior.

This guy was good in Power of Omens, but he doesn't fit well with the crunch of ZH, and when he sings high is voice is terribly irritating.

While the new singer is not as good, the focus on the last 2 albums (Specs and Dark) has definitely been more on the insane instrumentality and superior song writing skills the Tipton bros. have. I feel the vocals have been mixed in with the music quite well, and it works with the song.

We'll never get another Towers of Avarice, sadly, but I'll be damned if the newer material doesn't kick my ass the fuck off... except Fragile Mind, while it has it's moments it's definitely a much weaker album, especially when the fact it is sandwiched between a re-release of the s/t and specs is taken into consideration.

Regardless... best band in prog metal at the moment? Zero Hour by MILES.

Also, what the fuck ever happened to Power of Omens? Did they split?

hmm only 08's ive heard i think:

Arghoslent
Jeff's
Warrel's
gonna check out DEP now that im aware of it

this year ive been gettin lots of 'old' stuff

hey azzizzle, what do you think of the Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton EP? i think its my favorite DEP. perfect mix of jagged and catchy, and Patton sounds amazing and insane! he's rarely as intense.

edit: maybe im over-gushing. it rules though.

1. Warrel Dane: Praise to the War Machine cd
2. Brian "Head" Welch: Save Me from Myself cd
3. Iced Earth: The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked, Pt. 2) cd
4. Pyramaze: Immortal cd
5. Cavalera Conspiracy: Inflikted cd
6. Vindictiv: S/T cd
7. Signum Regis: S/T cd
8. Jayce Landberg: Breaking The Chain cd
9. Toxic Holocaust: An Overdose of Death cd
10. Metallica: Death Magnetic cd

My musical exploration is going backwards in time, so I haven't really been paying attention to new releases. The new Judas Priest and Warrel's are good, but I didn't get super into either of them. So really nothing besides Hatchet's debut, and I don't just say that out of obligation!

My musical exploration is going backwards in time, so I haven't really been paying attention to new releases. The new Judas Priest and Warrel's are good, but I didn't get super into either of them. So really nothing besides Hatchet's debut, and I don't just say that out of obligation!

Same here - none of my purchases in the last 12 months have been albums released in the last decade.

Hmm... only 2 cd's this year for me Testament and WD's. Both huge winners. I did pick up a few copies of Cacophony and Jason Beckers stuff tho.

I only had one birthday, and one CD choice since 2008, so I chose WD's solo. :D And he didn't let me down! LOL!

I need art supplies, new glasses, a truck to get my stuff from Maryland. I'm pretty strict when it comes to my budget. Anything else that came out, I haven't been paying too much attention. Much like with new video games. Why look the stuff up to torture yourself when your not going to buy.