Translation of VINTERSORG lyrics/titles

Å is pronounced like the o in 'toll'. Ä is pronounced like a in 'sad'. Ö is pronounced like e in 'serve'.

Yes, swedish is a hard language to learn. One of the hardest in the world as I recall it, mostly due to pronounciation and the fact that the definitive form has two modifiers, and is completely irregular.

(ie, an apple is 'ett äpple', a horse is 'en häst' - there is no rule for what words use which form so you have to learn that by heart for every single noun)

Hej folks

I managed to translate Allfader vise (With some help of my friend Eric), have a look:

-ALLFATHER WISE-

Those messengers

-Allfather wise

Beside the sacrifice-rock they hover

For the highest god

-Allfather wise

Now he fears the "nidingen"

In heather fires sky

-Allfather wise

Those eyes he will steer

From above for

-Allfather wise

Has sacrificed one but win four

-Allfather wise

At night when trolls ramble

Of "ravnarnas" (we don´t have any clue about this words....I thougt foxes...but not...) artifices

-Allfather wise

They is enticed to try the day

A mist so grey

-Allfather wise

sky and earth unites

So cold and raw

-Allfather wise

Among branches with the weight of corpses

Chorus:

Out in the black seas

The "Sjögriftens" (what do you say?) flames

Rise from chieftain's grave

Smoke embraces the cool night

Funeral bon-fire in waves

Journey goes towards high hall

King of the struggle fire

-Allfather wise

With the dwarf made sword he´s figting

With the mind so weighty

-Allfather wise

On eight hooves he is riding

When the Vala foresees

-Allfather wise

Over fates predetermined

A year of destruction

-Allfather wise

Lead us into death

Greetings
Styggvarg
Sergio
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hej..

it´s me again.... I´m still trying to translate some songs but there some missing points... look if you can help me.

I TROLLBERG OCH SKOG

Någon klampar i bäckarnas brus = someone walks in the water-noise of the brooks?
Med törstan av gravölets rus = With thirst of the funeral-ale´s intoxication?
I åsmark lystet strövar ---- what is the word for åsmark?
I den strålfångsfalnande himmelsglöd --- how would you translate such a hard phrase????
Martallskuggans sändebud --- what´s a martall?
Med vandringsstav i furstliga nord --- what´s furstliga?

ÄLVADIMMANS OMDANING

Omskaldad i den fjällhôga nord = Rewritten in the north of high mountains (mmm the word for
rewritten is so good, but can´t find a better translation! :(
Väver sitt tôcken stillsamt upp mot den branta lid ----- what´s a lid?

ALLFADER VISE (look at my previous post)

Nu nidingen han bävar ---- nidingen???? maybe it come´s from the icelandic níðingr (coward)?
I kvalvädrets mist --- ???

TROLLPISKAT ÖDEMARKSBLOD
Ôver frusen flark = over frozen flark (what´s flark?)
I lidelsefrihetstrakt den mångbesjungna härd = In region free from suffering the celebrated home (??)

Greetings

Sergio
Styggvarg

(have patience.. .remember I´m argentinian, not swedish ;)

Well.... to the best of my knowledge
Nid = Norse curse...
Nidingen = the act of being "cursed"
A "nidstång" is a cursing pole, used in late Iron Age - early Medieval Germania and Scandinavia... it's a pole, with a curse and a horse's head on it.

Here's my version.

I TROLLBERG OCH SKOG
____In trollmountain(s) and forest(s)
Någon klampar i bäckarnas brus*0*
____Someone [walks|stomps] in the brooks' roar
Med törstan av gravölets rus
____With thirst for the grave-ale's*1* intoxication
I åsmark lystet strövar
____In ridged lands*2* anxiously*3* roves
I den strålfångsfalnande*4* himmelsglöd
____In the fading sky's glow
Martallskuggans sändebud *5*
____The dwarf-pine's shadow's messenger
Med vandringsstav i furstliga*6* nord
____With walking stick in the magnificient north

*0*: this could mean that 'someone' is stomping in the actual brooks as well as in the sound of them.
*1*: 'grav' can probably be translated directly to the english word 'grave' which can mean among other things serious, somber and dark.
*2*: 'ås' is the swedish word for 'ridge'. 'mark' means soil, ground, land.
*3*: 'lysten' is an adjective pertaining to the feeling of lust or desire for something. 'maktlysten' is powerhungry, 'vinningslysten' means covetous. 'anxious' in it's arcane meaning is a good translation for it.
*4*:'stråle' is 'beam' or 'ray', 'fång' is a designated volume or assemblage, 'falna' means 'fade'. the meaning of this whole world is something like 'fading array of beams' in adjective form. rather complicated...
*5*: 'martall' is a pine that's dwarfed due to hostile environment (growing on the side of a cliff or the like)
*6*: 'furste' is swedish for 'prince'. in this adjective form it means splendid, magnificient, grand (befitting of a prince).

'Skald' is an arcane word for poet or bard. 'skalda' of which I believe 'skaldad' is a past tense, could mean 'to recite poetry' among other things. The 'om-' prefix 'about' or 'of'. 'Omskaldad nord' for example could mean [the north that is sung of]. I think... heh. I imagine a proffessional translator would have an easier time explaining it.

'Lid' is a slope, hill or descent.

'Nu nidingen han bävar' - like tenebrose said nid is a sneer, scorn, deriding, insult, abuse or curse. If it's 'nidingen' it might mean 'he fears the cursed one' or the 'he fears the cursing one', if it's 'nidNingen' it's more like 'he fears the [curse|cursing]'.

Do you have the original swedish lyrics for these or are you trying to translate from hearsay?

Tack så mycket!!!!

mmm.. I guess about the mispelled phrases that is my fault...
You see, here in Argentina mmm it´s almost impossible to get Otyg records...

I´m guilty of not having the original cd :(...(it´s not that I don´t want it..just can´t find it..so I have mp3s). And these .txt with the lyrics I found on internet seems to have typing errors...

Well I guess I should try harder to find älvefärd, I only got the original sagovindars boning but I bled so much money!!! (and the time of my quest tsss!).

Thanks again man,

Sergio
Styggvarg

I have to admit I'm impressed with the translations going on here! I briefly lived in Sweden and have a partial understanding of the language, so some of it I understand. However, a Swedish friend who moved to the States a year or so ago was trying to translate the lyrics and just kept shaking his head saying "this is untranslatable...fjälls means mountains, but not just mountains this type of .... etc. etc." He was also commenting on how beautiful the words were, how they fit so wonderfully together.

I just love to hear Vintersorg pronounce Swedish. A gorgeous accent....enchanting, and sexy :) (ok, so us metal chicks have a weakness for sexy vocals!)

Anyone going to see them on this tour? I'm heading over to Europe from the USA and plan on seeing them in Vienna.

Hey evilshell,

>Anyone going to see them on this tour? I'm heading over to Europe from the USA and plan on seeing them in Vienna.<

I went to see them yesterday :) and going to see them at least one more time...
See the setlist thread for the songs they played last night.

Hope you make it to Vienna.... have fun!

Very kewl, thanks!

Do you know if the restriction on cameras is tour-wide or just for the venue?

Did they add another band to replace Finntroll, since they cancelled off the tour?

Morgana, welcome back! I hope you enjoyed the concert (of course you did) :) I was wondering were they selling much Vintersorg shirts or anything? If so do you remember what ones were there, I am gonna send a friend some cash when he goes to the show if all goes well he will pick me up a shirt.

Trollslottet! Most excellent, eternal thanks for the translation. That song is one of the things worth living for! Now with ltrics I understand, it seems even better......

I got a number of translations of Vintersorg songs from a girl who lives in Helsinki, Finland... Judging by what you guys have posted, she did a really good job of translating, because it's almost the same translations. She did well with Vintersorg, but Otyg really confused her, so there are still a good deal of songs that I still haven't heard a translation for and I'm curious about.

Sorry that I don't know how to type the scandinavian letters... I have to copy/paste them from my mp3 list, which isn't in front of me.

Loverskan
Galdersbesjungen
Alvadimmans Omdaning
Skymningsdans

For you people translating by ear: I would be willing to transcribe some lyrics from the Alvefard album once I'm at the computer with my mp3 list. I own the album and the lyric sheet.