Trouble for Chicago Powerfest

Mudvayne is proof that in mainstream music, gimmicks and image ALWAYS come before talent.

Unfortunately, I saw these guys at Ozzfest (they played right before Maiden, so I already had my ass firmly planted in my $85 seat).

Basically, it was 8 to 10 songs of complete nu metal noise with the one slow "hit". Just as poorly formulated as glam metal in the 80's, where every band had to have the one hit ballad (IE - "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", "Heaven", "I Remember You", etc, etc...)

Mudvayne is proof that in mainstream music, gimmicks and image ALWAYS come before talent.

Unfortunately, I saw these guys at Ozzfest (they played right before Maiden, so I already had my ass firmly planted in my $85 seat).

Basically, it was 8 to 10 songs of complete nu metal noise with the one slow "hit". Just as poorly formulated as glam metal in the 80's, where every band had to have the one hit ballad (IE - "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", "Heaven", "I Remember You", etc, etc...)

Wow, I remember you said that you've been in a band, so I'm assuming that you play guitar or sing...cuz Mudvayne's rhythm section is probably the best (among commercially successful bands) since Primus. And if you play bass, then shame on you. :p That Ryno (sp?) guy can outplay (with the greatest of ease) most bass players I've ever seen...and the stuff he plays not only sounds killer, but looks cool as hell! :headbang:

Jason is a singer so there you go! :lol: :lol:

Mudvayne may have gotten noticed at first because of
gimmicks but they really are a kickass band, amazing
rhythm section and strong songs. They lost the whole
gimmick thing a loong time ago....

Yeah, I am a bass player.
Sorry man.
My only exposure to these guys has been a couple videos and live.

I recall that one video from their earlier days when they wore the silly outfits and painted their faces. That was just horrid.

I am not doubting their abilities, though lots of bands with talented players suffer from this.

Personally, I would take glam over nu metal, if I had to choose.
Probably because I am a diehard KISS fan, and musically you can hear the KISS influence in a lot of glam (Once you look passed all the make-up and hair spray! :lol:)

But they play NuMetal :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

That is the 90's/2000's version of Glam

Have you ever actually listened to Mudvayne with an open mind? They may have a few NuMetal chugga chugga guitar parts, but they are definitely NOT NuMetal. Just cuz NuMetal kids like them doesn't make them NuMetal.

IMO, they're more prog than what some people consider prog.

Well, there's no doubt that there is VERY little progressive about many bands that are classified as prog metal.

Rob - you can't deny though that Mudvayne's silly gimmicks is what probably kept many true metal fans from ever giving them a chance.

I have to be honest, I see bands like them, Lordi, Slipknot, Mushroomhead, etc., and I simply can't take it seriously. To me, it says, "Well, we better have some gimmick to get noticed"

That being said, there certainly have been bands that have pulled off both gimmick and good tunes (ala KISS, the Misfits, etc.).

Though having a strong gimmick will lump you in that sort of category and I don't think Mudvayne scored too many new fans once the make-up came off.

Well, there's no doubt that there is VERY little progressive about many bands that are classified as prog metal.

Rob - you can't deny though that Mudvayne's silly gimmicks is what probably kept many true metal fans from ever giving them a chance.

I have to be honest, I see bands like them, Lordi, Slipknot, Mushroomhead, etc., and I simply can't take it seriously. To me, it says, "Well, we better have some gimmick to get noticed"

That being said, there certainly have been bands that have pulled off both gimmick and good tunes (ala KISS, the Misfits, etc.).

Though having a strong gimmick will lump you in that sort of category and I don't think Mudvayne scored too many new fans once the make-up came off.

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, and King Diamond's gimmicks aren't silly?!?!?

But I do agree...that same logic is what kept me away from King Diamond until about 5 years ago...when I opened my mind & checked out the music as a whole. And as much as I like the music now, I still giggle my ass off at every King/Mercyful show I've ever been too...and probably will at any future show.

All hail the Satan Clown...hehe. :lol:

I must agree - as a bass player Ryan Martinie is very talented. He plays like very few other bassists - there's no root-whacking going on there - he's all over the fretboard. I think a comparison to Primus / Les Claypool is very appropriate. He's definately an innovator. Put aside the 'cheesy' make-up and outfits - cause metal has never had any of that. . . - and you've got a great band. These guys know how to play. Just because they've had a modicum of success is no reason to trash them. :D