True bands

I don't mind if a band changes their style and steps away from "traditional" death metal if I like their new style that is...

Death metal - Cannibal Corpse (if only because they've effectively been re-recording the same album for years... hehehe), Desecration (Welsh DM band, first album was banned until the artwork and lyrics were heavily censored and the band have been under the watchful eye of the Welsh authorities ever since), Morbid Angel.

Black Metal - I'd agree with Darkthrone, but Mayhem to my mind started out as more death metal than black...

the_dying said:
That's the first album of Darkthrone and it's 100% pure death metal with some old Stockholm influences.

heh, that's their only album I like :)

amon amarth has remained pretty constant. (regardless of whether they're 'true' death metal)

Gorgoroth....they always have stayed troo...and they kick major ass...best black metal ever...

Marduk.....god damn....they always stayed troo too...and they kick major ass...

Immortal

Behemoth
Immolation

and i cant think of anymore... :D

True= Doing how they feel to do.
Actually the definition of being "true" for me is Queensryche.
They did whatever they wanted , didnt care about the poser/thrash fashion of mid-late 80s, and released their most "difficult" album (Promised Land), after their biggest selling success (Empire)
Another TRUE band is Ulver , because:
they signed to Century Media , and Century Media expected something close to "Kveldssanger" or smthing, ballads and stuff, and they released their most raw and hard material ever with "Nattens Madrigal".
true is being true to yourself , not to some fans.