What makes the best music?

AsModEe said:
the lyrics ( and therefore the ideology ) come after.

IDEOLOGY IS NOT SIMPLY A CONSCIOUS, VERBALLY COMMUNICATED MESSAGE GHAKAKAAKJGAGJHAHGAJGAGJ :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

swizzlenuts said:
What do you guys believe makes the best metal.... i have been pondering this idea for a while... do you belive pure talent makes a metal band good?.... their ideology?... or what?

i definatly think its their ideology... like some bands who hate christians, and their hate for christians are so strong that they have anger and emotion that they put into thier music. i believe a band that has a great ideology behind them will rock... bands like zyklon, at the gates (tsd, and tritsio).

six feet under, crappy band.... it seems to me that they are a joke because it seems they just make it about death because thats what everyone else does...

your views and thoughts.... opinions greatly accepted....

What makes the best music? One word for you: VIOLENCE!!!!

It has nothing at all to do with talent, ideology (spelling?), songwriting skills, etc... or any of that nonsense.

I don't really think ideology has much to do with it. Just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they can't write a hateful song to express emotion. And just because someone is Anti-Christian doesn't mean they have to write hateful songs. Although for most of the anti-Christian bands, their music is centered around their beliefs. But Saviour Machine are pretty dark and they're a Christian band.

But for me, basically good music. I don't really know how to describe it. I do favor the classical (baroque and forward) ideas of the instrumental virtuoso, and knowing musical theory. But I do listen to all genres of metal, as well as other genres of music.

Good music must be:

1. Sincere
2. Relevant

Good music should be:

1. Innovative
2. Challenging
3. Idealistic

Good music is not:

1. Immitation
2. TeH HEVY ThRASh RIFFz!!!
3. Irrelevant to the times

The only thing that makes a band good or bad is their intentions. If a band aspires to make a certain thing, and they create that thing using the fullest of their abilities, and nobody has done this certain thing quite this way before, then their creation is artistically justified, and they are good.

Whether or not faggoty fanboys enjoy it makes no difference. If you don't like a band, that's your problem, not theirs. You need to expand your horizons. We are not musical entertainers. If I produce something that you are comfortable with, that you have heard before, then I have failed. I do not have the same job as Britney Spears, to provide non-challenging, insincere background music with pretty lights and colors for people with no artistic aspiration.

This sparks interesting discussion for me. Just how far do you have to go to be innovative? Does a band need to reinvent itself every album? Are influences allowed? etc.

I would say something like that....music has to be innovative, new, etc. But just what fits that? I got 'Revelations' by Vader recently. I like it.....it's technical to some extent. But if you stack it next to their previous album, Litany, it's basically the same music. Does that mean Vader fail as musicians, because they don't make anything that's really mindblowing?

So basically.....not every band is an Arcturus or a Devin Townsend who have a style that's very unique and who completely change with every new album. But what does that mean?

Good music is good headbanging shit!!!

No, seriously, i find good music that makes me headbang for days. And no, not Slipknot, I mean good shit here.

Then after that, the passion to produce good music even though they're poor as fuck, technicality (TEH SKILLZ!!!) , innovation, ideals, good song writing and a really good technical drummer is a plus. I'm a drummer and i need to hear good shit.

EDIT: so many good shits there.

To me a good band has/is:
1. Ideology Behind Them
2. Passion For Music
3. Creativity
4. Beable to Evolve Thier Style of Music
5. Not be rich

to elaborate on number four.... i believe bands like pantera who pertty much sound the same throughout all of their albums suck... and if you would have asked me 3 years ago i would have said the complete opposite. Bands like emperor, arcturus, carcass, and ulver. I believe they did change thier styles of music, but they evolved to different types of metal. I dont care if a band changes from black metal - folk - death. I just dislike it when bands try and keep thier old style of music, but toning it down to make more money.

great example of a evolving band... incubus... start off as nu-metal then to alternative rock to pop rock to emo core. i have respect because they are trying all different types of music... they could have stayed a pop rock band and made millions but they are constantly evovling.

but son of a bitch GoD, do you know everything.... your answers are what everyone is trying to think of....

The Grimace said:
What a range. Beatle-like, even. :rolleyes:
Heh.. lol, the thing is Incubus' "evolving" is just within a bunch of crappy genres of what is essentially "pop rock". I have zero respect for them.

Jean-Pierre said:
"Irrelevant to the times?" What kind of hipster 'scene' kid are you? :p

If it's not part of what's happening now, and it obviously can't be part of what already happened until someone invents a time machine, it's artistically irrelevant. Creation goes forward.

And I've never denied being a hipster or a scene-head, BTW. :D

The Grimace said:
If it's not part of what's happening now, and it obviously can't be part of what already happened until someone invents a time machine, it's artistically irrelevant. Creation goes forward.

And I've never denied being a hipster or a scene-head, BTW. :D

Good art transcends time periods and can be relevant in any time. That which is only relevant to the period in time in which it was created is almost the very definition of bad art to me. What does that say about the music you like? Hipsters suck.

Cythraul said:
Good art transcends time periods and can be relevant in any time. That which is only relevant to the period in time in which it was created is almost the very definition of bad art to me.

No, great art transcends time. Tom Waits' "Raindogs" will be amazing forever, because it's a totally unique statement which defies the boundaries of contemporary music today just as it did in the mid-80s. It's not that the world hasn't caught up to it yet, it's that we'll never catch up. But more genre- and scene-specific music does become outdated. It's outdated because, the older it is, the more artistic "discoveries" have been made since it's inception within it's particular genre or in music in general. I'd consider a band like Joy Division to be an influence, but would I ever want to sound like that? No. Why? Because it's outdated. I can appreciate it from the midset of it being the best of a past era. But it's not an un-reachable bar or anything. Whereas a band like the Swans are totally un-reachable ; I don't understand how they were so intense in the context of the early-80s, much less as a part of music as a whole.

Swans rule.

What does that say about the music you like? Hipsters suck.

I absolutely guarantee you I have more diversity in my tastes than you could comprehend. I guarantee that. Hipsters are "suck" only to the old and out-of-touch.

::Appendix to my previous post::

I listen to progressive music from every era, from early 20th century proto-Jazz to... well... whatever extreme shit is happening nowadays. But because I've at least experienced most everything important that has happened before, I'm much more appreciative of being challenged and surprised, which is not something that most "good" music from the past can achieve (only the "great" music). Learn from the past, don't live in it.

@ nick. i think you missed GoD's point. he thinks 'good' music shares his values, which I'm guessing happen to be those broadly stated black metalist ideals. thus, the statement he made is applicable to judeo-christians and so forth, its just that black metal as a genre would not be one for judeo-christians who were looking for ideals to follow in music (to state the obvious)

although, the argument proposed on that black metal FAQ is naive and inherently flawed (with respect to black metal ideals). reinstating archaic belief structures in modern society is taking mankind a million steps backwards, and clearly isnt evolutionary. the strong religion surivived and survival of the fittest prevailed.

but not turning this into a religious debate.

music i think works well if there is conviction in what the band says. im not necessarily saying they have to be writing about something they 'believe in' (i.e. the idealogical sense). but rather they want to write it and are doing something that they think expresses their interpretation of an issue. couple this with riff writing ability and passion to play, and you generally get a winner.