Tube Screamer FAQ Version 1

Originally Posted by Question
Some overdrive pedals I have tried in the past seem to blend their sound 'in parallel' to the clean, unaffected signal, which makes my tone 'fartier'. Other pedals seem to alter the signal wholesale, which makes my tone grittier. Which way does the [insert TS model here] work?

The Tube Screamer does not blend in a clean signal – this is something that would be done for an overdrive used on its own, for a more 'natural' sound, but it's unnecessary (and possibly detrimental, if you really need the tightening) in the context of making a high-gain amp more manageable.

Yeah on its own my Maxon OD9 on the clean channel of my dual recto does this, but if I boost the tone on the pedal this effect disappears.. strange enough it disappears just when I boost the tone.
On the dirty channel of my dual this doesn't happen

Yeah on its own my Maxon OD9 on the clean channel of my dual recto does this, but if I boost the tone on the pedal this effect disappears.. strange enough it disappears just when I boost the tone.
On the dirty channel of my dual this doesn't happen

You get clean sound out of the pedal depending on what amp channel you're using? That's more than a little odd... could you explain?

Jeff

Yeah, I honestly don't wanna be provocative, but I'm just curious as to how you've had experience with so many pedals to the degree of analyzing their individual components (the electrical knowledge I can understand, there's books on everything these days!)

Formally I've just had the standard run of physics courses, this is mainly a hobby - I just tend to turn hobbies into obsessions. I started with computers when I was very young (I rewrote Hangman so that I could hang as many men as I needed to so that I could get the words right before I could safely walk down stairs) and from there I went straight to logic circuits and other such nonsense. I mainly just spent my time either in the library or on the internet working on stuff like this and computer nonsense from about eight years old on. This stuff is amazingly simple if you have a logical bone in your body, it's just not as accessible as it was a few decades back when building radios was the 'in' thing.

As for the different pedals and components... army surplus is great for finding odds and ends (including carbon-comp resistors and odd chips, things like that) and I've been doing tech work for a few people with much more money than me for quite some time now. It mainly comes down to borrowing pedals and finding schematics, and simple things like putting trimpots in place of resistors whose functions you'd like to know more about.

Long story short, I'm a bit obsessive about this stuff, my mind works entirely in logic and mathematics, and I sleep about an hour in a good night. I'm the hobbyist from hell.

Jeff

Damn, that answers my question. More power to you, dude, you're truly a fleiβig fellow (thank you German 101!)

Honestly, 99% of what college has done so far is tell me stuff I already read when I was bored. There's not much you'd get from a 'formal' training that you wouldn't get from just hitting the books and finding people who know what they're doing when you need questions.

Jeff

Honestly, 99% of what college has done so far is tell me stuff I already read when I was bored. There's not much you'd get from a 'formal' training that you wouldn't get from just hitting the books and finding people who know what they're doing when you need questions.

Jeff

Ugh so far this statement is correct. The only things covered in detail that I didn't already know are some basic principals of sound. :mad:

Well since I go to a 4-year liberal arts college, I feel I've learned a ton from all the gen-ed courses I've been forced to take, so I value the wide breadth of knowledge that I'm accruing - that being said, I've learned way MORE from books and y'all niggaz then I have in my Audio Arts classes, which are pretty much nothing but the idiosyncrasies of Pro Tools

Ugh so far this statement is correct. The only things covered in detail that I didn't already know are some basic principals of sound. :mad:

I'm getting frustrated because I'm studying math and physics at a good university that does them pretty well, graduating next spring and still bored stiff. Either I read too much before or my suspicion that I just need to hold on until grad school to get really in-depth and specialized was more true than I thought it would be.

Jeff

It adds more gain and smooths out the mid bump - it basically turns it into Generic Distortion Pedal #816 so unless you like it on it's own it's not doing much of anything.

Jeff

Formally I've just had the standard run of physics courses, this is mainly a hobby - I just tend to turn hobbies into obsessions. I started with computers when I was very young (I rewrote Hangman so that I could hang as many men as I needed to so that I could get the words right before I could safely walk down stairs) and from there I went straight to logic circuits and other such nonsense. I mainly just spent my time either in the library or on the internet working on stuff like this and computer nonsense from about eight years old on. This stuff is amazingly simple if you have a logical bone in your body, it's just not as accessible as it was a few decades back when building radios was the 'in' thing.

As for the different pedals and components... army surplus is great for finding odds and ends (including carbon-comp resistors and odd chips, things like that) and I've been doing tech work for a few people with much more money than me for quite some time now. It mainly comes down to borrowing pedals and finding schematics, and simple things like putting trimpots in place of resistors whose functions you'd like to know more about.

Long story short, I'm a bit obsessive about this stuff, my mind works entirely in logic and mathematics, and I sleep about an hour in a good night. I'm the hobbyist from hell.

Jeff

Haha, cool. Thanks dude.

I can't recommend libraries strongly enough. They may turn you into an obsessed, insomniac bibliophile, but at least you'll know way too much about some field that won't be nearly as useful in day-to-day life as you'd think.

Jeff

Just thought you all would be interested to see: I opened up my TS7 today out of curiosity, and sure enough, there was indeed a JRC4558D sitting on the circuit board. Here's a pic:

TS7TS9PROOF.jpg

Also, guys... notice how sparse that PCB looks. Not a whole lot of things on there - the TS is a fairly simple circuit to build if you're interested in making your own.

Jeff

It adds more gain and smooths out the mid bump - it basically turns it into Generic Distortion Pedal #816 so unless you like it on it's own it's not doing much of anything.

Thanks for the info. Got a TS7 yesterday. I really appreciate people that make analogies with guys equipped with rocket launchers.

It's how I think of things... hopefully that doesn't scare too many people off. Hell, I explain electricity to people using lemmings jumping off a fucking cliff, 'stock' explanations just don't do it for me anymore.

Jeff