Tube Screamer FAQ Version 1

I'm being sent one of these to try out.

MXR_GT-OD_OVERDRIVE_CSP-21_231x262.jpg

MXR GT-OD

Hopefully get it this week. I'll make clips and if I like it i'll buy it.

Pretty much the same as the new 808s... only difference is going to be the carbon comp bullshit, and that only means you're getting huge variances in component values and as a result a less consistent pedal.

Vintage fucking sucks. Let's stop beating around the bush and acknowledge that we now have much better manufacturing techniques, more advanced designs, and much better prices than any of the old-timers ever could... we fucking win.

Jeff

JBroll speaks the truth.

I do not own a vintage TS but I do own a TS7 and a maxon OD808 and there is little to no difference. In this instance your more or less paying for build quality and with that said I haven't had any problems with the TS7 whatsoever.

I've read reviews speaking of failing switches etc.. but you do need to remember that this is a piece of electronic equipment. It wouldn't be wise to press the buttons on your mp3 player as hard as you possibly could so stomping on a piece of hardware using a small plastic switch would most likely not be a wise idea. That's just common sense. I'm sure the posters of reviews stating things like this do not take good care of their gear. In defense of that they are cheap enough to be replaced if they fail.

Buy yourself one for the stage and another for the studio and you'll still be saving cash.

I've never heard any other tube screamer - but after reading this article I was interested in what it would do with my tone. So I went out and got one and It's pretty freakin bad what it does. The difference is subtle but nice at the same time. I like the compression and the little bit of "grit" it adds to the gain.

I have it running into a triple recto, and when I have the TS9DX kicked on, I usually turn the gain down on the amp head. I also found that it's best (for my setup) to put it after a noise gate so you don't get those little string squeals (sounds like your picking hand hand pulled off the strings) someone else mentioned earlier.

I was curious however, they say it has a different IC chip and this one has an extra knob with 4 different settings. I find that the closer you get to "hot" it adds more low end to it.

My question(s) is what are the technicalities behind that little extra knob and what sets this pedal apart (if any) from the other Ibanez Tube Screamers?

Does the knob push the pedal's gain output? Does it allow more low end back into the amp?

I believe the 'Hot' modes do just add more gain and flatten the EQ somewhat, but since that entirely defeats the purpose I didn't go into too much detail. There are a lot of ways to flatten the EQ curve - just increase a certain capacitor in the input and twiddle with some things in the tone section - but if you keep doing that you don't get much out of it that you couldn't get out of a DS-1.

Another problem is that a lot of new pedals have the 75558 chip instead of the 4558. Both suck, but the 4558 sucks less, so a lot of people will put the 4558 in. I'd say fuck both of them and put in an OPA2134, but we get back into that whole 'vintage is better' bullshit so people spend too much money on 4558s.

Jeff

Interesting. How will the OPA2134 affect the tone? I could give a crap abut "vintage" because I'm not trying to sound like SRV. And I agree with you, about new electronics, technology is supposed to improve over time - not get worse, unless you get into the really cheap stuff. I think there are pros and cons to just about everything.

How difficult would it be to install one of those chips? I've soldered before, but does it pop right in, or would I have to get one of those thinga-ma-bobs that you mentioned earlier for quick chip mods.

According to Musicians Friend, it says it has the JRC4558D chip and the knob adds more low end crunch. Maybe I'll mess with that switch some more, they say bringing it to setting one, makes it sound more like a TS9.

It's hard to explain. It's just a better chip, period.

It's a matter of undoing eight small solder joints and then redoing them on the new chip. An IC socket will cost very little, but if you don't plan on frequent switches then don't worry about it.

There should be a '9' or 'TS9' mode marked on the thing. That's what you want.

Jeff

You might as well just open it up, I'm retarded with electronics but I managed to spot the 4558 on my TS7 PCB (see pics on the previous page)

I build new ones with 2134s, but the TS7 is always getting new things to try out. I have some other chips coming in the mail that I'll try, but the 2134 is my favorite.

Jeff

I don't a have a screamer but I can vouch for the fact that the OPA2134 sounds ALOT better. I have also heard (although not myself) that the TLC2272 chip sounds good in a TS9/808 as well.

The texas instruments RC4558P chip was definitely just used since they were cheap, there a much better op amp chips than that one.

I would post a comparison but when I moded my pedal I replaced the stock chip (not removable) with a chip socket and the OPA2134, like jeff if I ever come across a 4558 I will post a comparison.