Tube Screamer FAQ Version 1

Since this is the FAQ for TS pedals, please allow me a moment to ask a dumb one:

Is there a better model? TS808, TS9DX, etc?

The reason I ask is because I just got my Orange amp, and the local Banjo Center has a TS9DX. I didn't buy it - 'cause I wasn't sure if that was the one I 'wanted' or not.

Thanks

The various TS9s only differ in what other shit they offer - a '+' mode, a 'Hot' mode, a 'Turbo' mode, whatever - and, again, the TS9 is two resistors away from a TS808. I'd say that the 'better' one is the $40 TS7 or a Boss SD-1; the TS7, because it is the same circuit as the 'classic' TS9 with the proper op amp and everything, and the SD-1 because it is in my opinion an improvement over the TS series with a better-sounding clipping section and a few other changes.

Jeff

Hey, Jeff.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to bother you with such an elementrary question, but I am glad that I asked .... now you got me thinking about the Boss unit.
I can get one for apprx $50 less than I would've the TS9DX. So if it sounds good with my Tiny Terror, that will be my pedal of choice.

Thanks a lot for your input, sir. Take care.

Hell, for the cost of the TS9DX you could get one of each, or two TS7s and make one a TS808, even if you don't wait for a good price at a pawn shop or on eBay.

Jeff

May I ask one more question about this?

What about the Maxon OD 820 Overdrive Pro?

Is that the Holy Grail of TS type pedals?

Thanks

No. The 'holy grail' would be the 'classic' (i.e. JRC4558) TS808 for a vintage wanker... probably a 9 or 808 with an OPA2134 or an NE5532 for these uses. As I always say, get a TS7 and work around from there.

Jeff

So what makes the OD820 'better' in the sense that
"Maxon has focused on the user's feedback to come up with an all-new overdrive circuit that addresses the key shortcomings of other units - the result is the OD-820 Overdrive Pro."
source: maxonfx.com

Or is that just marketing?

Edit: They also mention at the end of the description
"OD-820 uses only JRC4558 op amps for the warmest overdrive tone possible."

That and the "unique voltage-doubling circuitry for greater headroom," according to musiciansfriend - I tend to think it's is just marketing, but I'm curious too.

Still, though, even if it were different, I think the key thing to remember here is that the OD pedal in our case is FAR from the source of our tone; rather, we use it more like an eq pedal than anything else, just to send a more favorable ratio of frequencies to the amp. Now if it was just guitar - OD pedal - amp clean channel, and we were actually using the drive knob higher than 9 o'clock, that's when the differences might surface.

it sais on some websites the maxon OD820 has a voltage doubling circuit? what does that mean?
and maybe a bit OT but what is this exactly? http://www.thomann.de/nl/maxon_sd9_sonic_distortion_verzerrer.htm

"One of the key ingredients to the OD-820's amazing sound lies in its power section. While the OD-820 accepts 9 volts coming in, it then uses a DC-DC voltage converter (#MAX1044) to bump this up to 18 volts. This higher voltage allows for a more accurate, full-frequency reproduction of the input signal than other units can provide. This higher voltage also allows for more balanced powering of the circuit, providing stabilized positive and negative DC voltage to the overdrive, blend, and tone sections of the circuit."

source: http://maxonfx.com/vintage/od820/

A voltage doubler is quite simple, really, but it's not exactly necessary for our pedals given the way they're designed. It allows the pedal to run at 18V, as claimed, but whether or not it's beneficial to a TS9/808 is up in the air. I will say that I believe there are a good number of components that won't play too nicely with anything over 16V so I haven't done it to a store-bought pedal...

The TS7 has a 4558 chip, as I said in the FAQ and countless other times around here.

Jeff

I've got the following and have run a test against them twice so far and both times the 820 wins :)

ZW, SD-1, DS-1 and Maxon 820

i've tried the 808 and ts9 in the shops and always come back to the 820

Rig = emg85/81, 6505+,V30

I have to admit that I don't know much about the 820, compared to the other ones. People don't often come to me and say "Hey, random mad-scientist-looking wacko, take my pedal apart!" and when they do it's pretty much always an SD-1, a TS7, a TS808, or a TS9.

The DS1 doesn't surprise me; it's not at all like the TS circuit. At all. It's a distortion box, no mid hump and the clipping is much more 'rock' than 'compress and warm' like the TS pedals have. Haven't fucked with a ZW as I think it's just a waste of time and money going for yet another TS clone that's more expensive than it should be.

One of the mods I've considered putting together would be a very big conversion, designed to emphasize the things we want but also give things like an optical compressor and a drive knob whose 0 doesn't clip at all, using 27V caps so that an 18V battery can power a better chip... but those are a bitch to get perfect so I haven't made nearly as much progress as I'd need to really talk about it much.

Jeff

This thread just reminds me how incredibly anal about tone we are as guitarists.

As guitarists but mainly 'Engineers' (if I'm allowed to use that word so freely :p)

Like every other engineering occupation (chemical/civil etc) the smallest thing can make the biggest difference.

Anyway...I'm still waiting on my 820 to arrive to make my own judgment.

I luuuuv my OD820, much better than the TS9 I had previously.

Hi, I just ordered the OD820 a couple days ago and is waiting for it to be shipped over. My impression of the unit is based on product description and its main selling point, transparency. Do you feel that way in comparison with the TS9 or are there other variants and subtleties present?