Tulsa SOTU

busty sinclair

united as one
Jul 19, 2002
Visit site
my first time seeing the band live...and they were the best band there and imo the best band in the metal community. no else came close to touching the magic that these guys put out

today was extra sweet. they a had a very special guest on drums mr. gene holgan!!

heres the setlist

*spoilers

the drapery falls
the grand conjuration
demon of the fall

Still Death said:
Holy balls. Where was Lopez?

In MN we got In My time of Need, along with Lopez.

Dang, that kind of stinks, but is also kind of rad at the same time.

i have no idea where lopez was at and opeth didnt do the meet & greet before the show either...hmm....

If this keeps happening, people are going to start thinking Gene is Lopez's understudy..

well that's kind of an ominous event. No Lopez AGAIN.

Hope he gets his shit straightened out adn everything's alright with the rest of the dudes.

@busty: hmm, you've been reg. for 3 yrs, but i don't think i've ever seen you on this forum, where ya been? btw, didya happen to see this?
crap.gif
http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199938

well i gotta kind of tired of the boards but after seeing this performance last night i had to tell fellow opeth fans about it. hehe yeah i saw that thread but damn it was way off topic

its pretty handy that hoglan is always around to step in for these situations...

hes probably one of the few drummers out there who could tear up an opeth song flawlessly without much practice.

They played the Grand Conjuration and that was Gene's first time ever, needless to say he did a great job.

I think we got lucky, everone was coplaining about the sound in other show, but the sound in Tulsa was great. You could actually hear Peter and the bass drums were functioning pretty nicely. Mikael missed a note like hell on the drapery falls but it's all good. You can't hit 'em all.

Pseud0 said:
is this the dream theater forum?

;)
Is this the ask-an-off-topic-question-and-make-a-smily-face forum? Or did I click on the wrong link? ;)

Either way, a couple things I'd like to say:

1. It wasn't gene's first time like someone said before.
2. The setlist wasn't a spoiler, unless it was rotten.
3. People were saying TGC was amazing drumwork from Mr. Lopez, I bet it was awesome seeing it done by Gene... Too bad nobody recorded it. :( I hope for some video bootlegs.

Not to be rude or anything, but Gene is a big guy! How in the hell does he have the stamina to play such a brutal set? He ruled with SYL in Chicago. Just curious...

busty sinclair said:
my first time seeing the band live...and they were the best band there and imo the best band in the metal community. no else came close to touching the magic that these guys put out

today was extra sweet. they a had a very special guest on drums mr. gene holgan!!

heres the setlist

*spoilers

the drapery falls
the grand conjuration
demon of the fall

mbarys said:
Not to be rude or anything, but Gene is a big guy! How in the hell does he have the stamina to play such a brutal set? He ruled with SYL in Chicago. Just curious...

Most death metal drummers have to minimize their movement by using wrists and ankles instead of entire arms and legs. Stamina isn't a huge issue if you do this.

The fact that Gene Hoglan can do what he does to his drum kit is a violation of the basic laws of physics. He is a unique phenominon to witness, and a pretty nice guy to boot. Oh, and he can open a beer bottle with his eye. I watched it happen - he's a god amongst men. I got to see him play with Opeth at that legendary show here in Vancouver. It ...ALMOST makes up for the fact that I never got to see "The Moor" live... *sniff*

HoserHellspawn said:
The fact that Gene Hoglan can do what he does to his drum kit is a violation of the basic laws of physics. He is a unique phenominon to witness, and a pretty nice guy to boot. Oh, and he can open a beer bottle with his eye. I watched it happen - he's a god amongst men. I got to see him play with Opeth at that legendary show here in Vancouver. It ...ALMOST makes up for the fact that I never got to see "The Moor" live... *sniff*

if he is a god amongst men because he can open a beer with his eye...then you REALLY need to get out more.