Tutorial (kinda): BEING ORGANIZED

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
This is all stemming from a thread in the off topic section about how notes saved my ass from some idiots. People seemed interested in how I do all this, so here's the first part of that.... I'll be adding to this throughout the week to this as my session duties right now are wait to be handed files...so here it is...

Here's an outline of how I do everything. I really find organization to be the only way to work in this business cause there's so much information that gets lost. I work in PT HD which is important for some of these steps.

SESSION RELATED STUFF

Session Layout:

Ok first things first. My sessions are always consolidated from bar one. By the time I get to the mixing process, everything edited and consolidated and every single edit is made. I mean every single one. No flying vocals, no adding parts…nothing...it's all done. Every AUDIO REGION has the same labelling scheme, which uses one of the following symbol/title layouts, which are producer specific. Heres some examples.

•KICK IN
∞KICK IN
§KICK IN

The weird icons are so that me and whomever I'm working with know that the region they are looking at has already been edited and finalized. I also open up the audio files folder and color code all "final" tracks RED. I'll explain why later.

Once all the regions are named specifically, I name every track with a specific layout. Basically it's that no track has more the 6 letters thing that I know fredmann tries to get people to do. You might be asking yourself how can you label everything with 6 letters and get enough information? Well whenever I save a final session, I have the comments panel open which has the full track name and a brief explanation of what it is if required. Here's an example. STUFF IN BRACKETS IS IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.

WMY GTR "WHAMMY PEDAL GUITAR-whammy part added to final Chorus"

Ok so all my tracks are labeled, I add some info to the "GET INFO" tab under the File Menu. In this area I put:

INFO #1-BAND NAME/SONG TITLE
INFO #2-PROJECT START DATE/ STUDIO NAME
INFO #3-PROJECT END DATE/ STUDIO NAME
INFO #4-ASSISTANT/EDITORS NAMES (even if it's my own)
INFO #5-PRODUCER/ENGINEER NAMES (even if it's my own)

Session Archiving/Mix Prints

Ok so you got consolidated audio, you got properly labeled tracks with appropriate comments, you have pertinent song information. Now you gotta send it off to a label/band/the garbage whatever. Here's the steps I follow.

1. Figure out delivery method. I generally have the band purchase 2 firewire drives and use those. I hate DVDs, I hate online servers, and I hate pretty much anything other then drives. DVDs are cool for 1 song, but a whole album fuck that noise. the good thing about drives is you can keep one in case customs/fedex/ups/ fucks your package up, or some random mix assistant plugs the wrong power supply into your drive and fries it (yep that happened for real).

2. Make a folder that says "BAND NAME". Make another inside that one that says "ALBUM NAME".

3. At this point switch back to Pro Tools, Deleted unused regions and playlists, remove excess tracks, click tracks, master faders, auxs, VCAs, whatever is non essential and save session copy as… each song INDIVIDUALLY. DON'T FORGET THE AUDIO FILES. Dummy check please, it's important, and please for the love of god label consistently. For me I just use: "SONG NAME". No point in putting "mix print" or "final" IMO. Others will disagree but that's just how I roll. After you've copied the Pro Tools data/audio files, I'd also recommend you export a midi file so they have a tempo map in case your mixer/remix/label retard wants to remix it in any other daw I generally label this midi file "SONG NAME TEMPO MAP" . Because I consolidated all the audio files( and marked them in red) you can just open everything in the audio files bin and import it into Cubase or whatever.

4. Once you have your albums worth of session files, all labeled and laid out properly, with midi tempo files, I make a simple text doc I include in the main "ALBUM NAME" folder. This document is called "SESSION INFO" has the following included:

-BAND/ALBUM/SONG TITLES
-EACH SONGS APPROX. LENGTH
-SONGWRITER SPLITS (IF NECESSARY)
-STUDIO(S) IT WAS TRACKED AT
-RUNNERS/ASSISTANTS/EDITORS/ENGINEERS/PRODUCERS/SESSION PLAYERS/BAND MEMBERS NAMES

If it's going to a mixer I also include another document called "MIX INFORMATION". This generally just includes the following:

-BAND/ALBUM/SONG TITLES
-EACH SONGS APPROX. LENGTH
-SAMPLE RATE/BIT DEPTH/ FILE FORMAT
-DAW USED/CLOCK USED (IF APPLICABLE)
-ANY SPECIFIC MIX NOTES (EXAMPLE-Singer says "cunt fucker" in song "AAA". Please make a clean version)
-A NOTE THAT SAYS "ALL AUDIO FILES IN RED ARE CONSOLIDATED FROM BAR 0"

5. Once all this is done, Do a manual copy or use Syncronize or some other file copying/archiving software to copy all of this in its entirety to the other drive.

6. Once you've copied everything, take a screen shot of the finder window showing what's on each drive (I generally go vertical list, and show each folder open down to the song title folders). Print those out, fold nicely and tape to the drives. I actually took this a set further and got some plastic slip envelopes that are sticky. I just paste em on the drive with the notes folded inside. This way someone doesn't need to open the drive to see what's in it.

lol these dudes really got you going man! Chill beans!
In fairness though most musicians I know are disorganized bastards and I find it a real effort to break from that so I literally have a page in my notebook with a "get your ass in gear dean" section for any occasion where I'm recording someone elses stuff. :lol:

lol these dudes really got you going man! Chill beans!
In fairness though most musicians I know are disorganized bastards and I find it a real effort to break from that so I literally have a page in my notebook with a "get your ass in gear dean" section for any occasion where I'm recording someone elses stuff. :lol:

hahaha someone asked me to do it so I figured I'd oblige. It is somewhat therapeutic.

And yeah I realize parts of it are beyond some budgets, but it's more of a how I work and hopefully you can use some or all of it!

Very cool man. If I got mix sessions given to me with about 1/8th of that diligence and care it would be a tremendous improvement. Constantly astounded as to how little pride in their work many engineers have. I spend more of my mix time re-editing and re-organizing sessions than I do with the creative stuff.

PART 2......

SESSION PAPER WORK

STARTING A SESSION:

This section is always a grey area for most people. If you are doing smaller local projects for friends for cash up front you probably don't need a contract. For anything involving payment at completion, monthly instalments, producer points, royalties or anything where it isn't cash in hand at the end of the day, GET A CONTRACT. Bands are monsters. They can be your best friends you've known since birth, they can be total strangers…it doesn't matter. If money gets short they won't stop partying, they'll stop paying you. I'm not going to get into too much specifics of contracts, cause I'm not a lawyer, but a few things I made sure got put into my contract:

1. Clearly state who is hiring who.
2. Who's paying you what and when.
3. OWNERSHIP. Make sure it's very clear who owns the music at the end of the day. As I said in the other post, I make sure the bands own the drives so I'm not liable if theres mechanical failure.
4. All other legal necessities .

Ok so you've got the gig, contract is signed and you're ready to work. Now it's time to keep track of everything you do. And I do mean everything. Most of these Logs can be made up with word/excel or any other basic word processing program.

DAILY LOG:

The daily log is your bible. On this document you put everything that happened that day. The layout will be different for everyone but here's what's on mine.

-BAND/ALBUM/SONG TITLES WORKED ON THAT DAY
-DATE
-STUDIO NAME
-RUNNERS/ASSISTANTS/EDITORS/ENGINEERS/PRODUCERS/SESSION PLAYERS/BAND MEMBERS NAMES PRESENT
-WHAT INSTRUMENT WAS TRACKED THAT DAY
-WHAT WAS COMPLETED
-ANY OTHER RANDOM NOTES
-******ADDED TODAY****** A SIGNATURE BOX SO THE BAND CAN SIGN OFF ON ALL INFO ABOVE

Do this every day. It really becomes pointless if you don't, as you'll always need notes from the day you missed.

TAKE LOG:

If you work at commercial studios you can have the assistant do this, if not do it yourself. For me a take list is more about what's on each playlist in PT. It becomes really important for drums and vocals for me. Really simple layout:

-BAND/ALBUM/SONG TITLES WORKED ON THAT DAY
-DATE
-INSTRUMENT TRACKED
-WHAT EACH TAKE WAS

None of this has to be INSANELY detailed. EXAMPLE:

-THE BANDAIDS/CRABBY/TOTAL BROOTALZ
-MAY 10TH,2010
-BOB'S DRUM TRACKS (BLACK BEAUTY SNARE)
-TAKE .01-FIRST TAKE HE PLAYED LIKE A TOTAL FUCKING IDIOT
-TAKE .02-MISSED CHANGE TO CHORUS 1. GREAT SECOND VERSE FILL

STUDIO INVOICE:

Most commercial studios will give you a day to day invoice if you ask, or a single invoice encompassing the entire length at the studio. I generally ask for a day to day log or a stack of them I can fill out myself. Some of the better studios will actually just give you a word doc or pdf, which makes life amazingly easy. On this invoice, it has all the usual information listed above, plus very specific info like if any rough cds were printed and for what song. Beside each rough cd I add the invoice number, which helps me to keep track of which cds were printed what days and who had them. Originally I did this so that if an album leaked we at least had an idea of who to blame. However, it became clear very quickly that it was pointless to keep track of that, but it did help when bands claimed to have rough mixes of work that was never done (like in my previous post).

At the end of the day I save these (or staple if its a physical copy) together with the take and daily log, and give each file a specific file name. So for example with the Bandaids it's be "BDDS D LOG 051010". Break down of what that says to me is "bandaids daily log may 10th, 2010. The BDDS code would also of already been established in my personal invoice which I'll get into later. Here's the layout with Folders and all. I generally save this with all the audio related session data.

1. Make a folder that says "BAND NAME". Make another inside that one that says "ALBUM NAME-INVOICES"
2. Make a folder for date "MAY10TH,2010
3. Copy all the invoices into this folder.

PERSONAL INVOICE:

This is very simple. I also add a "band code" for these. It's great for getting into taxes and what a certain band has paid you. Example being "BDDS-001"

-Your name and contact information
-who you are working for
-what they are paying you and how long you are working
-what you are doing

More information to follow including how to take all this information and keep it all organized and safe on your computer....

Great guide.
What about if you record and mix, but you have to send everything to a master engineer? Do you send to him only the printed tracks or also the entire sessions?

Great guide.
What about if you record and mix, but you have to send everything to a master engineer? Do you send to him only the printed tracks or also the entire sessions?

depends on the ME these days stems are frequently requested for guitar hero, and SOME ME's work with stems,
Normally just the stereo mix of to the ME with a detailed list of order times etc, if poss a rough version thereof in Protools

This is golden,

Thanks very much for sharing the wisdom!

Questions:

-Do you export the raw stems in addition to the mixed stems and hand those over to the band?

-you get the band to buy 2 firewire HDs, are you keeping one or does the band take away both (which i presume are identical copies of each other) ?

-do you keep an archive of old sessions, or delete everything as soon as you hand it over to the band?

-at the end of it all, what kind of average size is the HD the band are taking away?

thanks!

this hole thread is awesome and very helpful so, THANK YOU C_F_H_13

but to me...this:

6. Once you've copied everything, take a screen shot of the finder window showing what's on each drive (I generally go vertical list, and show each folder open down to the song title folders). Print those out, fold nicely and tape to the drives. I actually took this a set further and got some plastic slip envelopes that are sticky. I just paste em on the drive with the notes folded inside. This way someone doesn't need to open the drive to see what's in it.

this is just straight up GENIUS!