Ultimate Metal Hall of Fame October 2016 Inductions

Firstly, Accept were formed in 1968, predating even Judas Priest, and were the original solidifiers of the German trad metal sound along with their more commercial brethren, the Scorpions. Riot were formed in '75, same year as Maiden and Rainbow, making them a unique sight and early contributor on the US metal scene given their sound, Angel Witch were formed in '77, and are hence among the earliest NWOBHM bands, Running Wild were formed in '76. The only band band you carry a valid point with are Crimson Glory, who took shape in '79. Nice try, but no cigar.

Are you autistic or retarded? Formation date is meaningless. Accept was almost certainly not playing Priest-y metal in 1978, let alone 1968.

Which came out in 1979, and still lacks any songs approaching Sinner, Exciter, Dissident Aggressor, Saints in Hell, etc. I mean it's still got some good heavy songs (especially Sounds of War) and it's not a bad album at all, but it's basically a second-rate 70s Scorpions. If that's what they were playing in 1979, it's pretty obvious they weren't playing metal in 1968. I mean, by that logic they invented metal independently of Sabbath too.

Reactions: CiG and Baroque
They got signed based on that sound in '76 by the Metronome label after playing the Rock am Rhein festival. Wolf described their sound during that period as very Scorpions esque, but more aggressive.

There are no audio recordings of the festival, but Wolf explained their sound as such at the time in the interview I linked, I'd say that's pretty credible given he was their lead guitarist at the time.

image.jpg

Still doesn't mean much in the context of their importance to metal. Their early 80s material is where they found their niche. Formation date has no bearing on that.

It means they were, contrary to your assertion, playing "Priest-y metal" as early as '76, if not earlier. Making them a predecessor to most trad metal, and showing them to be an early and formative influence on the German trad scene along with Scorpions.

In addition Riot's earliest release, the Warrior single, a clearly trad metal piece, was dropped in '77, recording for the Rock City album on which it featured began in November of '76 and Angel Witch produced their first demo in '78

How can they be an influence if no one heard them at the time? You've proven jack shit wrt Accept. Their S/T sounds nothing like the essential 70s Judas Priest speed metal sound.

I'd argue that Riot was never particularly innovative/influential, but they do have a long history and consistency behind them.

How can they be an influence if no one heard them at the time? You've proven jack shit wrt Accept. Their S/T sounds nothing like the essential 70s Judas Priest speed metal sound.

I'd argue that Riot was never particularly innovative/influential, but they do have a long history and consistency behind them.
I never argued they matched the JP speed metal sound, I argued that it shared some sonic DNA with Priest, as enumerated by CIG. '76 was the initiation of their recording and professional career, they began recording and continued to perform on and off at festivals where they were witnessed by decent numbers of people.

Last edited: