UltimateMetal/SMNnews.com interview questions for OPETH FRIDAY NYC

Jaded

There was nothing...
Jul 26, 2003
New York, NY
www.smnnews.com
Here are the questions gathered by me from the thread I made, as well as some of my own:

Have you started writing new material yet? how would you compare it to earlier works? heavier? slower?
What will you do in your spare time off after finishing your tour?As
How is Lopez doing now?
Will Per Wieberg become a full-time member, or just have him play on the next album as keys?
Will Steven Wilson be producing the next album?
Will the new album be a concept album such as MAYH and SL?
Do you enjoy listening to your own music?
Do other members of the band write their own music? If so, what style?
Why is To Rid The Disease an ‘evil’ song?
There’s been reports of the new album being somewhat ‘black metal’, is this true?
Some of your favorite black metal bands?
Will you do anything with Swano again? What about Bloodbath?
Will you ever work on the Devilsun project?
Are you guys influenced by nature/outdoors, and if it ties into spirituality and your writing?
How did you guys feel about the not-so-great reception Porcupine Tree got on the last tour?
What are your feelings of Devildriver on this tour, and in general? And have you heard many fan complaints about a ‘nu-metal’ band being on the tour, as well as the Kataklysm-Devildriver fued?
When the first 3 seconds of Demon of the fall are played backwards, it sounds like a raspy black metal band? If it is, who is it? If not, what is it?
Devin Townsend has given much praise to you guys, and has expressed intrest in possibly doing something, have you guys seen this? and if so, given it any thought?
Will a South American/Mexican tour be rescheduled again in the future?
Where do you see opeth in 5 years?

To mike and peter: do you guys still live in igloos?
to mikael: when will the mustache go? do you like any stanley kubrick movies?
to band: what are your favorite books/movies?

--------END OF UM QUESTIONS--------START OF MINE-----

what’s your opinion on such US metal shows such as uranium and the recently returned headbangers ball? would you like to be featured on there more?
do you plan on making more videos?
who would you guys like to tour with?
what’s the difference between the american crowd and the european crowd?
what are your future tour plans? a return to the US anytime soon?
are you happy with music for nations?
do you guys consider yourself a death metal band? did you used to at one point?

hopefully i'll get to ask allof these, if theres any last additions, put them in this thread. I will also be giving out comedy/info flyers, they will be this:

SMNFlyerFeb04.jpg

Lastly, while blabbermouth is down, go to www.smnnews.com for all your metal needs, and check out OUR forums with many official band forums ;p

When the first 3 seconds of Demon of the fall are played backwards, it sounds like a raspy black metal band? If it is, who is it? If not, what is it?

Well, it's actually the sixth first second played backwards in 2x speed.

----------------------------

Will Steven Wilson be producing the next album?

This question has already been answered by Peter Lindgren at this interview: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/17512/106708

Will Steven Wilson be involved in producing the next album? Definitely, if he's available. We're going to offer him the job and we're going to try to match our schedule to his. We just hope he's available. He's a very busy guy with his band and producing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There’s been reports of the new album being somewhat ‘black metal’, is this true?

You can redefine this question, Mikael said it's could have an "occult theme", not that the music will be like "black metal".

------------------------------------

Anyway: Good luck with the interview, don't forget giving us the answers. :)

What will you do in your spare time off after finishing your tour

Already been answered

Do other members of the band write their own music? If so, what style?

This has been answered aswell. Mikael doesn't even know the name of the band that the martins are in.

what’s the difference between the american crowd and the european crowd?

This was mentioned on opeth.com in the biography section

what are your future tour plans? a return to the US anytime soon?

This has been answered in previous interviews.

do you guys consider yourself a death metal band? did you used to at one point?

This was answered on the documentary

Here's some questions worth answering.

Will they ever play by the pain they see in others live. And songs they have rarely
played live like black rose immortal?

Which song from still Life was going to be entitled "The Willow Tree"

Well AllWithin those questions that you said were answered, I don't know any of the answers to them, other than vaguely to whether they consider themselves a death metal band. So, I wouldn't mind if they were asked anyway. :)
Remember that most readers probably don't know everything. The questions are 100x more interesting than in your average interview just like that, if you ask me.

And, heh, they have played Black Rose Immortal live once to something like 300 fans. :)
Would be cool if you guys asked the Willow Tree question though, seeing as it probably has never been asked before.

They've been asked about Wilson producing the next album so many times, and including i think both Mike and Peter being asked this on the dvd. Answer:

they'd like him to, and have asked him, and he said yes. it will work out if they can synchronize their schedules.

I'd like top know if and to what extent smoking pot/drinking plays a part in the writing or recording process. Does Mikael smoke a spliff at the beginning when he's coming up with ideas, or while practicing parts, or when revising arrangements, or none/all of the above.
Seriously. I'm interested in the role that mildly altered consciousness plays in the creative process. But maybe that would be prying too much.

most of those questions can be answered if you read the website..

and opeth does consider themselves death metal they say it themselves live

"EVENTHOUGH WE ARE A DEATH METAL BAND WE ALSO HAVE A SOFT SIDE" thats what mikael said at the concert or soemthing liek that

Alan, Mike has probably answered a lot of questions a thousand times, but it doesn't mean that some of them shouldn't be asked again.