Ulver

falling bird

schoolgazer
Jan 11, 2002
Ny-Ålesund
Visit site
How do you find Ulver?
I stumbled upon them a few weeks ago and i wanted to hear what you think about this band. Who has got any records of them and how do you find the progress that they've been going through from BM to ???,i don't know.
Btw, is someone hear interested in BM?
What are your favourite bands?
Some advices?

I heard the first track of Nattensmadrigal (forget the title) off a Blackened Compilation (volume 2?). And I love the acoustic break in the middle. So I heard that Kveldsfanger was all acoustic, so I bought that, then NM, then Bergtatt, and finally Themes. Not a big fan of Themes, so I gave up on them...

As for BM, I'm kinda picky about it. I don't like the "true" BM. Darkthrone is pure crap for me. But some of the technical shit, like Dawn, is great. Abigor's fun, but nothing special. A couple Dissection songs are good. Naglfar (especially Vittra!) are good. And despite most people's protest, Satyricon's Nemesis Divina is good.

off to training...

Falling Bird:

I am a Katatonia fan, so you can trust my judgement (I assume you are too considering the name).

Interestingly, we had a Ulver thread a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find it.

Look for that in order to get a cast array of opinions.

I'll just say that I used to like Ulver, but they lost the edge somehow.

And despite most people's protest, Satyricon's Nemesis Divina is good.

I protest

I love "true" BM (yes there is one left) and I still dont like that album.

Yeh can't find that old thread, but I'll say it again. 'Ulver are a real BM enigma' I think Garm is poking fun at people a lot of the time by making such unpredictable music. It's also a very genuine form of expression, clearly not commercially driven. Every album by Ulver is completely different, a very uncommercial unconventional thing to do; there is no way to describe 'Ulver'. This is real musical integrity and more importantly, two fingers to the mainstream music industry's rehearsed, tried and tested, reliable, false, consumer driven way of doing things. Most of all, though, I think it's great music :) .

William Blake's Marrige of Heaven and Hell is my personal fave.

Originally posted by The Nomad
I heard the first track of Nattensmadrigal (forget the title) off a Blackened Compilation (volume 2?). And I love the acoustic break in the middle. So I heard that Kveldsfanger was all acoustic, so I bought that, then NM, then Bergtatt, and finally Themes. Not a big fan of Themes, so I gave up on them...

As for BM, I'm kinda picky about it. I don't like the "true" BM. Darkthrone is pure crap for me. But some of the technical shit, like Dawn, is great. Abigor's fun, but nothing special. A couple Dissection songs are good. Naglfar (especially Vittra!) are good. And despite most people's protest, Satyricon's Nemesis Divina is good.

off to training...

Dude, you just made a Naglfar fan :)...Wow..downloaded Horncrowned Majesty and Vittra...EXCELLENT..thank you :)

*and Nemesis Divina is GREAT...The Dawn of a New Age and Mother North are my fave songs off that album

I found Vittra - the song (about 2 and a half minutes long, very slow beginning, soft pounding of drums, and acoustic guitar *I think - very slow beginning?)..and a bunch of other songs...wow..I am flabbergasted..this is AMAZING..spanks you so much..anyone else you can recommend that is similar?

*This is too good not to have their CD right NOW..gonna order.. :)

Nattens Madrigal is the only Ulver full-length I don't have, and the others are all great. Perdition City is very cool in it's own right (although, note: It's exactly 0% metal or anything related to metal - it sounds like the movies Blade Runner, or Dark City look.), Kveldssanger is a beautiful acoustic masterpiece, Bergtatt is a great Black Metal/folk hybrid, but Themes from William Blake is like nothing else. It's incredibly unique, and my favourite.

i love each and every one of Ulver's albums.. it's my all time favorite band, i can't wait for the new release(s) :)
other than that, it's all been said already...

Ehe, I don't like most electronica. I'm not worried. It's not like I don't have enough CDs anyway.

Oh, and I highly recommend Sad Legend. Korean Black-Doom? I can't quite describe what genre it'd fit in, but the lyrics are all in Korean, and it's quite good.

Personally I love black metal, way more than the Swedish death bands like EOS, In Flames, Soilwork, etc. The best black metal I've heard is: Nokturnal Mortem, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Abigor, early Burzum, early Emperor, Krieg, and Carpathian Forest "Black Shining Leather". After getting all of the above, I'm pretty well saturated, as it does all start to sound alike after a while.

I haven't heard much of Ulver, but if you want good black metal, check out "Summoning" especially their "Stronghold" album. "Nokturnal Mortum" also rules, I suggest you try their "Goat Horns" album. Don't forget to come and thank me afterwards ;)

I regard Ulver not as a band, but as a group of composers. Each album is different, each has its own concept, and the recent stuff is the only techno-type stuff I can sit through (and I even really like it, to boot :) ). Themes is in my top 10 of all time, it is just soooo complex, diverse, well thought-out, and just plain amazing.

For BM, I go for Mayhem (the first full-length & everything by the current line-up), but I'm kinda insane that way (actually, for those who haven't tried them/ don't really like Maniac (an aquired taste, to be sure) or are put off by the poor sound quality of the early recordings, I strongly recommend the recent tribute album, with bands like Emperor, Carpathian Forest etc. Basically a whole bunch of established Norwegian bands, who all had a connection to Euronemous back in the day. Unlike other tribute albums, this one is worth listening to more than once, the song renditions are for the most part faithful, with great sound, and I tend to turn to it when I want to hear some of the old songs. Cool).