UM Sludge 20 Questions #2! This time with...

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
PAUL COOPER of SCOURGE

paulprofilepic.jpg

This time we have an interview with one of the most well known guitarists in the world, from one of the most influencial world-famous metal bands ever to grace music. We were flooded with emails from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Kiss, Van Halen, Motley Crue, and yes... even the almighty Cats In Boots! How's that for a huge band? Yes, we thought so too. But we eventually decided none of those were quite big enough, so our 20 Questions is with none other than "Mr. Rock" himself as he is most widely known as.... Paul Cooper of Scourge!!!

1. Who are Scourge? And what are you currently up to?

We're a metal band from Perth... or as Aces likes to put it - WA's Thrash Metal Attack... I think he's hoping that catchphrase is gonna become trendy or something. Currently we're arguing about what Sabbath/Ozzy songs to cover in the upcoming gig with Perth's true metal warriors, defenders of the faith, the leather clad Black Steel at an Ozzy tribute night at the Amplifier Bar on Sept 20

2. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give up and call it a day?

Scourge, those idiots don't even have a drummer!

3. Is this 20 Questions the biggest thing that's happened so far in Scourge's career?

No not at all, we once had 3 people come into our rehearsal room to watch us play - we live on the edge!

4. You're in a metal band from Perth. Do you sometimes ask yourself why you even bother?

Well Perth has produced some great metal acts over the years. There's Allegiance... umm... yeah Allegiance... what a band!!! Nah, Perth has a pretty good scene, some of those eastern states bands should come over here and check it out for themselves *hint hint*.

5. Rate the following guitarists on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being about as good as Ray Martin's hairdo and 10 being a virtuoso.
Dave Mustaine = 10 for rhythm, 7 for lead
Marty Friedman = capable of being a 10
Adrian Smith = 8
Kirk Hammett = 4 with wah, 7 without wah
Al Pitrelli = 9
Lord Tim = 8 - just for singing that good and playing guitar at the same time
Jeff Hanneman = 7
Chris Poland = 8
Yngwie Malmsteen = 8
John Petrucci = 10 - genius!
Scott Ian = 9 - great energy

6. Have you ever thought of growing your hair long like Dee Snider to be more 'metal'?

I did it have it long but I cut it about 2 1/2 years ago... I am steadily growing it again so I can be just like Dee Snider. The forklift is just unloading the crates of makeup as we speak.

7. What are your thoughts on the Megadeth split, and do you think they will get back together if Dave recovers?

I wasn't particularly surprised when it happened. All things have to come to end and the last tour was I think a pretty good way to go out. I can't see Dave and the others getting back together anytime soon. I think a lot of water has to pass under the bridge before talks of reunions start happening.

8. Which Maiden Downunder member most needs a smack in the mouth and why?

It's a split decision between Spawn for letting the lust of his loins, the lady on the bus slip through his fingers, The Trooper for his non-stop posts about glam bands I have never heard of, and Cooperman just for the hell of it.

9. What's it like having a chick in the band, and does she use the guitar as an imaginary penis like guys use it as an extension?

We're hoping having a chick in the band is a good thing. She's gotten used to our constant ballsack adjustments, sexist jokes and innuendo... so everyone is happy. You'd be shocked at the things she does with her guitar!

10. Being in a thrash metal band from Perth, is there any chance at all of you guys picking up groupies at shows?

I doubt it... I keep telling the guys we're gonna have to go to Rent-A-Groupie, but will they listen? Maybe we just need to start wearing more ripped jeans like Lord Tim to pick up... I've heard stories about him!

11. Do all the guys in the crowd wanna pork Simone?

Yeah I think so, but surely band members get first shot don't they? I mean it's only fair.

12. Which do you prefer?
Marty Friedman or Al Pitrelli = Marty
Dungeon or Psi Kore = Well I've seen Psikore live 4 times, but I've never seen Dungeon, so I will reserve judgement until I've seen them play.
Rust In Peace or Peace Sells = Rust In Peace
Chris Poland or Jeff Young = Chris Poland... Jeff Young sucked!
Aces or Lord Tim = I'm not sexually aroused by either.
Playing live or seeing Megadeth live = ideally it would be playing live followed about 30 mins later by seeing Megadeth live
Melbourne or Perth = Perth... I'd hate to drive in Melbourne. Luckily whenever I am there I have a wonderful chauffeur that takes me places.
Boobies or legs = Boobies :headbang:
Kramer or Manuel = Kramer

13. A major label offers you a record deal as long as your first single is a faithful rendition of Warrant's "Cherry Pie". If you take it, you'll be rich, tour the world and get to move out of WA, because we know nobody would actually live there by their own choice. Would you accept?

Sure... as long as that chick from the video is in our video too ;)

14. If you had to kick one member out of Scourge, who would it be?

The CD player... it always relies on me for a lift to rehearsal or gigs.

15. Has Paul Cooper ever:
Been turned on by Dave Mustaine = Well he did give me a hug... but I didn't start trying to stick my tongue in his ear.
Touched Aces in the pants = There isn't anything to touch.
Crapped his undies on stage = No, but I crapped them when I was 6 years old at school :s
Wished he was a girl = Nope... I hear PMT bites.
Had sexual thoughts about Simone = This one time at band camp...
Sung along with a Hanson song = I know them all off by heart.
Worn makeup = Not yet, but they have almost finished unloading those crates.

16. What are you studying at uni?

I'm researching water-radical complexes via infrared matrix isolation spectroscopy to hopefully get a PhD in Chemistry. I have minors in slacking off, wasting time and non-work related use of the internet.

17. You're backstage with Dave Mustaine. For $50,000 you have to ask him, in all seriousness, if he will shave your scrotum as you're not comfortable doing it yourself. You get the money regardless of whether or not he says yes, but you're not allowed to tell him that you're getting paid. Do you do it?

No way will I ask him! The last time he shaved my scrotum he made a right mess... let's just say I nearly became half the man I am.

18. Have you ever considered wearing a Superman costume on stage, except with a "C" instead of an "S", and taking on the persona of Cooperman?

Sure, once we release Cherry Pie.

19. Did people at the Battle Of The Bands performances laugh at your "drummer"? And do you plan to have a real one for your gig with Black Steel?

No they didn't laugh... they were too busy banging their heads. We'd like to have a real drummer for the gig, but of course this is the real world we are talking about.

20. Time for UM Sludge's word association! You know how this goes, we say a word and you explain the first thing you associate with it!
Aces_High = POSER!
Maiden Downunder = Keeps me company during the day.
Perth = Would be much cooler if it was located somewhere between Melb and Syd
Black Steel = Feel the POOWWAAAHHH!!!!
Pretty Boy Floyd = Troops... is this another one of your stupid glam bands?
Anthrax = Thrash
Simone = Moody
Basil Fawlty = Tall funny dude
Ghostbusters = Classic
Metal Sludge = When am I gonna make the Penis Chart?

==============================================

How good was that???? I must say, those were most triumphant responses! Most excellent and totally non-bogus! He had a great light hearted view on Scourge, Megadeth and all the questions. Great stuff! Should we make an award for most comical answers? Coz that would definitely be tough to beat!

Plus, he said that boobies ":headbang:", Aces has nothing in his pants, I need a smack in the mouth, Bobbie Brown from Cherry Pie is hot, Dave Mustaine shaved his nuts, and I really wanna know just what Simone does with her guitar ;)

Thanks to Sebastian "Spiffy" Rose for coming up with a few of those great questions (including the almighty Dave Mustaine shaving the ball sack question) too! Anyway, we'd better let Coops get back to putting on his makeup and practicing Cherry Pie!

Until next time, I'm out like Scourge's drummer will be

Axl Lee Rockett

At the moment, people in bands and one coming up soon with somebody who ran metal clubs in Melbourne and worked with Metal Warriors and knows all the goss about the bands and people in the scene hehe.... you can probably guess who it is as she posts here ;)

I suggested Moony and you ignored me! :mad: AND I suggested a certain guy who started this damn place and you ignored me there too!! :mad: I WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!!

So email me like I said, you silly git :D

I didn't ignore you about Mark, I said that's a good idea! Hehehe.

I don't remember you mentioning Moony though hahaha. I'll email you as soon as UM Sludge #4 goes into work hehe. I'm awaiting the answers for #3 at the moment hehe.