UM Sludge 20 Questions is back with....

Originally posted by Spiff
The best damn drummer in the world, that's who. You probably wouldn't like him, though, cos he's a) not glam and b) not metal.

I've heard of him. Who does he play for/with?

Haha I know Dave Lombardo! Seen him play twice with Fantomas. Also have some album he plays on......err The Smathering or something?

I keep hearing about Rush from people like Timmah, and keep meaning to check them out. Where's a good place to start?

Get one of their four live albums - the best for newcomers would be their latest, Different Stages, cos it's 3 discs and covers virtually every album (except, if memory serves, Presto, but I don't have it handy so I may be wrong).

I heard a couple of songs off that yesterday, Spiffo. My mate was playing it in his car. Sounded pretty good. He reckons they're kinda the Dream Theater of the 70s. Is that right?

Well, maybe. People lump them in with prog but I don't think they're really prog like Yes and Genesis and the like were. They were labelled Led Zeppelin rip-offs after their first album but they changed their sound after that (probably because Neil Peart, the aforementioned best drummer in the world, wasn't on the first album and has a proggier sound). Lots of epics and stuff abound, but probably the most impressive thing about them is that it's just three people... one of whom happens to be the best bass guitarist in the world, Geddy Lee. And Alex Lifeson isn't too shabby a guitarist, but is very underrated because he isn't showy or anything. Apparently, though, he invented that stand thing that people put acoustic guitars on so they can switch between that and the electric with ease. Don't quote me too much on that, though, but if he didn't invent that then he invented something very similar to it.

Where would the acoustic to electric heartfelt lighters in the air arena rock 80s ballads be without that little stand?

No I meant the ones that started out acoustic, then they stop just before the solo and then it all switches to electric to really finish with some feeling :D

See Bringin On The Heartbreak and I Remember You for 2 good examples :headbang:

How AWESOMELY BRILLIANT is the live version of Bringin' On The Heartbreak on In The Round???

Does it kick buttock over the studio version or WHAT!

I love how the heavy part only kicks in right at the end with the "NOOOO!" part. So effective!

I need some Rush too... I like what I've heard.

Spiffy - I'm pretty sure Alex Lifeson was the guy who first decided to attatch a kazoo to his mic stand.