Underrated passages

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
I've noticed, in terms of really cool Symphony X passages, I don't seem to see any mention of Part II, "Through the Looking Glass". That 1 minute or so is among the more unusual and most beautiful things I've ever heard them do.

Allen does this strange, weary-sounding thing I haven't heard anywhere else, Romeo's acoustic work is prominent (where it rarely gets a chance), Pinnella gets to do one of his slower solos (always notable), and overall it's just a gorgeous pattern. Plus, who is that saying, "Run...Alice, run!"? Where IS it on Twilight that somehow both Romeo and Pinnella get backing-vocals credits?

Am I the only one who thinks this section is underrated?

Are there any other underrated passages that come to mind for any of you?

Maybe there underrated to you guys, But every time I listen to those two whole songs, I always acknowledge the beathy within them in my mind. Those are the little things that I like about SX so much, there's just sheer brilliance in those works of art and also alot of their other work. :worship: :headbang:

I really like all the ones mentioned. Lately, Orion the Hunter's prechorus has been standing out to me. Also, the neoclassical unison thing in The Relic, as well as the build up of the solo section. I get chills every time.

It's quite frequent that I find I'm listening to Twilight in Olympus more than any other SyX disk. Through the Looking Glass is a beautiful work. I've always thought that Orion was a superb song, too.

@ weenur

It's the same with me. I choose TiO very very often when it comes down to Symx. Lately I gave "The Oddyssey" a few trys an found out that I neglected it a bit.

i think orion - the hunter doesnt get enough recognition. its a badass song. i get chills when russ starts singing. its a great song and i hear that they dont play it live. that sucks.

Pinnella's extended solo in the end of "Orion" should get more mention as the be all and end all of Pinnella solos...
Plus, there's the prechorus of "The Relic", with maybe the most fabulous bass/drum interaction in an SX song.

that orion the hunter pinnella part rules the entire cd.

Other notables that I enjoy so much:

"Accolade II" - the ahhh AHHH part before the 1st chorus, and the background choir sounds during the interlude/solo (that part just sounds like I'm in an adventure searching for something).

"The Divine Wings of Tragedy" - Towards the end of the song, when the fast riffs are done with, there's a small and beautiful choir part where it sounds mysterious and brilliant, then the piano comes in and makes it sound even more beautiful, then after the small solo, you got the part I call "star wars" part, that sounds superb.

"Dressed To Kill" - again I'm obsessed with these Choir passages, before the 2nd chorus, there's a part where Russell says "Watch his life fade away..." the choir is going "ahhhh AHHHH" and I love it.

- Also the drum solo towards the end of "Dressed to Kill"

"A Winter's Dream - Prelude part I" The Entire song is very beautiful and atmospheric.

"Trascendence" I wish this was a 10 min encore song.

I can keep going through almost every S-X song.

i guess maybe I never understood the question. I've noticed this thread a few times this week, but it never clicked(no pun intended).

i still don't understand the question

underrated how? by whom? i enjoy everything they've done, album to album, beggining to end, except for

1). vox on the debut
2). some synths in Odyssey

I just don't think there is an underrated anything I can think of.

maybe i just don't understand

"Underrated" pieces, at least the way I see it, are beautiful passages that just don't seem to get the frequent mentions that the more well-known ones do.

That's just my take on it, anyway.

How come nobody ever mentions how awesome the pipe organ keyboards are in Church Of The Machine? I wish Pinnella would use them more often. I wouldn't mind if they were used in every single Symph X song.

dargormudshark said:
I think all of The Edge of Forever is underrated. I agree whoever mention the DWOT part..it reminds me of Tony banks from Genesis
2nd this, and add:

"Silent screams through Paper Walls... " that section blows me away STILL.

bball_1523 said:
that orion the hunter pinnella part rules the entire cd.

Other notables that I enjoy so much:

"Accolade II" - the ahhh AHHH part before the 1st chorus, and the background choir sounds during the interlude/solo (that part just sounds like I'm in an adventure searching for something).

"The Divine Wings of Tragedy" - Towards the end of the song, when the fast riffs are done with, there's a small and beautiful choir part where it sounds mysterious and brilliant, then the piano comes in and makes it sound even more beautiful, then after the small solo, you got the part I call "star wars" part, that sounds superb.

I adore those passages. Especially in DWOT, I remember John Williams a whole lot.

"the Bird-serpent war/cataclysm" at 2:00 there's this dark and mysterious choir part that is too perfect to be in that headbanging glass shattering song. lol

"The Odyssey" ...this is the end of my odyssey...the choir in that part along with the vocals is unbelievable to my ears.

"egypt" - the whole egyptian synth atmosphere

"A Lesson Before Dying" there's a part where rod sings "Marching on, staff in hand..." the synth in that part is awesome.

All the drum solos that Rullo does at the end of some of the songs.