United States Katatonia fans?

Redstar

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
i had just discovered this message board recently and have been reading around it.. it seems like most people here are from europe and such.. is this board composed of primarily europeans?.. i have been listening to katatonia since i picked up their "tonights decision" a few years back.. i also listen to a bunch of other european metal including opeth, the haunted, amorphis, october tide, rapture.. not to mention a few others.. i live in a predominately white, upper class area.. most of the people i associate with think linkin park is about as metal as metal gets.. which is infuriating to me..i really dont know what the point of this post is.. i suppose i just want to get a feel of what others are like on this board..

I live near Phoenix, Arizona and have been a Katatonia fan since Tonight's Decision too. Europeans are lucky they get the Ghost of the Spring tour and we don't. They'll probably never tour here. The only time they've ever been here was for 2000's Milwaukee Metal Fest, which I attended. It was so great... an hour of Katatonia followed by an hour of Opeth in front of hundreds of psyched, loyal fans. I got all my Katatonia CDs signed after Katatonia played. Jonas seemed wierd about signing, like he didn't feel worthy of the attention... and Anders had all the chicks pawing at him. Hopefully they'll be in Milwaukee again this year... I'd fly just to see them (and Macabre, of course, who always plays).

-'Evil' Vince

Katatonia fan since discouraged ones from down yonder Nashviiiiiiillle (hee haw)...I also attended the metal fest that year. There are probably more European metal fans around The US than you think. We're just all hidden in tightly knit units of militia resembling metal hordes. Then of course there are the reclusive loners... Seek and you shall find...What the fuck am I talking about, nevermind.

Katatonia fan from Portland Oregon here! Been listening to them for a little over a year now and Last Fair Deal Gone Down is on my top 5 all time favorite albums list...I love it and I love Katatonia! Their new one is currently in crazy rotation in my car for about 2 weeks now! Can't stop listening to it. I also have Tonight's Descision and Brave Murder Day. I need Discouraged Ones...

I'm completely jealous of you guys who saw Opeth AND Katatonia on the same bill...that would be the ultimate concert! A dual headlining tour with those two! I just got my Opeth Tickets for next month with Lacuna Coil..that will be cool..but I'd rather it be Katatonia!

I know exactly what you mean Redstar! There are no fans in the U.S.! It seems that all the Katatonia fans in the US are on this message board! I only have one person to talk to about KATATONIA and that's because I got him into them. He's is on this message board as well, OracleDeist is his username. Although he didn't start with KATATONIA on his own, he really is a pure fan! He genuinely likes KATATONIA for who they are.(the lyrics and music, not to mention Jonas' killer vocals!) This is the only guy I talk to about KATATONIA outside this message board. I got someone else into KATATONIA but he doesn't like them as much as we do.

I feel so at home as well with you European brothers and sisters! God bless Europe!

The thing about the US is that there is a lot of crap music out here that almost always goes mainstream. We live in a country where there's more poseurs, teeny boppers, and band wagon jumpers than there are Metalheads! Europe does not suffer from this, and you do, atleast it's small controlled area/group! We have a lot of crap here in the US. Europe is the shit because you can name any of their countries and there are atleast Five Incredible Bands from each place you name!

So yes there are SOME KATATONIA fans in the US, we are few, but we are strong and proud!

<----------- Katatonia fan since 1997 and "Brave Murder Day" from New York.

I, too, am discouraged by the fact that most American metal fans have never even heard of Katatonia or other great European/heavy melancholy fans.

Recently, however, I've turned two friends onto Katatonia & Paradise Lost, as well as Opeth's "Blackwater Park", so that's, at least, a start!

You're moving to Phoenix in the middle of summer? Ouch! That sucks, it will be like 130 degrees. I hate moving in Summer! Better have plenty of ice cold beer. Maybe I'll see you at shows dude, I'm the tall blond Viking guy with a red goatee and scoliosis, fanatically snapping photos. Just wait till you go to The Mason Jar, that's the most metal place ever! (Even though it's as small as my bedroom). Grave, Goatwhore and Immolation are playing ther June 13th.

OPETH/NILE opening for Danzig at the Mesa Amphitheatre May 2nd! I'm leaving right after those 2 bands, Glenn Danzig can suck my cock the fucking faggot!

I can't get anyone into Katatonia out here... they say the vocals are so gay that you'd have to be gay to listen to them. Fools! Oh yeah, well THEY'RE GAY! I wonder what they think of that?! Jizzlobbers! Yeah, Katatonia sucks but Linkin Park rules! Sheyeah, right! I'm pretty sure Linkin Park gives you AIDS just by listening to them.

-I'm drunk

You guys really should show a little more suppoort of GOOD american metal, it's out there. But I guess kissing the ass of europeans on message boards takes up too much of your time for you to support the local scenes.
By the way there is just as much crap in the mainstream of Europe as there is here. Ask anyone from there, they have their share of idiot nu-metal fans as well.
With that said, don't get me wrong, most of my favorite bands are from Europe. :)

BillowOfZeal said:
You guys really should show a little more suppoort of GOOD american metal, it's out there. But I guess kissing the ass of europeans on message boards takes up too much of your time for you to support the local scenes.
By the way there is just as much crap in the mainstream of Europe as there is here. Ask anyone from there, they have their share of idiot nu-metal fans as well.
With that said, don't get me wrong, most of my favorite bands are from Europe. :)

Since this post WAS directly aimed at me, and a little to the person who started this thread, I HAVE to answer. :)

First of all there is no ass-kissing going on, I am simply giving credit where it's due, considering that I know a lot of people that talk shit about European bands! (I hope you are reading this mother fuckers!) It's that the majority of the music over here sucks!

Second there is a a handful of Incredible bands here, some you probably don't even know and I do. Besides your typical bruta death metal American bands like Dying Fetus, Deed of Flesh, Malevolent Creation, etc. there are a few incredible bands that don't play the typical American style like the mighty Garden of Shadows, Scholomance, As Serenity Fades, etc.. Those are the bands I support! Don't tell me about American music, I know because I live here!

Obviously every country has their crappy nu-metal (not to mention pop hip-hop and r&b crap!) and their share of poseurs, but it is worse here! It shouldn't be that way! We need to encourage more free thinking!

I agree, and the ass kissing thing was pretty strong. I was just in "that mood" if you know what I'm saying. I was mainly taking up for the likes of Acid Bath, Neurosis, Mastodon...etc..

vince.. i used to live in phoenix about 7 years ago.. i know how the weather is and i really do like it.. ive been living in colder climates for the past few years.. and im getting tired of it.. besides.. i build and ride motorcycles as a hobby.. so if it gets too hot.. i'll just take my bike for a spin.. nothing a 170 mph on a free way wont cool down.. anyway.. i'd like to get into the metal scene around there.. find out where the good bars and clubs are.. as far as american metal goes.. i listen to all kinds.. im a fairly large TOOL fan.. i have Mastodons latest cd 'remission'.. November Doom.. Nothingface.. definately a few others.. i have just been really into the european brand lately.. :)