Updated 27" Retina 5K iMac

Most people seem to be scaling when they run games on the Retina. Running at 1440p or even 1080p. I've read it looks fine despite not being the native resolution, but I'm curious about frame rates with high settings for modern games.

I'll probably pick up a PS4 on Black Friday anyway

Looks lovely. Just curious Matt-Steele, have you ever tried bootcamp on the 5k, and ran any games? I know the 5k isn't a gaming machine, but it sure would be nice if I could run some games in Windows on it instead of building a separate rig

I watched this and it talks about gaming on the 5k iMac. Also gives some insight to how it specs/performs. Given, this is the older 5k iMac

It mentions that the resolution is maxed at 4K on Windows, but that might be fixed now that Windows 10 is out or new driver updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
two 980 gtx is worthless imho
You're spending way too much on that machine if it's for gaming
For 3d modeling it's ok, great buy!

lol! It is for both. Many times I am forced to work crazy hours and I can't always physically be at work, so I end up working from home, not to mention I want to own a tool where I can do what I do for a living for myself outside of work. Believe it or not, it's nothing compared to the HP workstation I use at work. My workplace PC is a dual Xeon 24 core monster.

As for gaming, you'd be amazed at how much the second 980 helps keep frame rates high at 1440p resolution/ultra settings. I also have used the GPUs for rendering purposes via Octane.