USA DEATH METAL VS.. THE WORLD

So how many of the albums that Mort just listed have you heard more than a few times, aka enough to be able to actually appreciate them?

Well I'll admit I haven't listened to them as much as a lot of US releases but mainly because none of them managed to really grasp my attention enough to warrant more than 1 listen.

Bands such as incantation and immolation just manage to hold my attention throughout their entire albums and when i listen to them I just want to listen to it over and over again.

The only albums that mort listed that I would say rival those bands would be dakrthrone's soulside journey and amorphis' the privilege of evil.

You're going to miss out on tons of albums if you're so shallow to pass them off after one listen.

I understand where you're coming from, and maybe it's just a bad habit with me, but I feel that listening to something that I don't really enjoy is a waste of time. I always think "well hey why should I be listening to this when I could be listening to something so much better!"

There has only been a few cases where I try and get an album to "click" with me and it rarely ever happens. It just seems like a waste of time.

You're going to miss out on tons of albums if you're so shallow to pass them off after one listen.

QFT. I think that this especially applies to the "mp3" generation; because, let's be honest, if you can download a dozen (or more) free albums per day every day, who is going to have the chance to listen to an album more than a couple of times anyway? I was lucky enough to have my formative metal years in the pre-mp3 days, and perhaps even luckier to be as poor as church mouse - so that I savoured every album I could get my hands on. That frugality has stayed with me even in my (relatively) more affleunt adulthood, and I try and give every album I buy a decent chance - but now, even I find myself sometimes only giving an album two or three listens - which is completely unfair, especially with "extreme" albums, which don't usually lend themselves to quick listens. Most of my favourite albums didn't seem all that great when I first listened to them - after all, would you marry a girl who let you fist her arse on the first date ?

:kickass:

QFT. I think that this especially applies to the "mp3" generation; because, let's be honest, if you can download a dozen (or more) free albums per day every day, who is going to have the chance to listen to an album more than a couple of times anyway? I was lucky enough to have my formative metal years in the pre-mp3 days, and perhaps even luckier to be as poor as church mouse - so that I savoured every album I could get my hands on. That frugality has stayed with me even in my (relatively) more affleunt adulthood, and I try and give every album I buy a decent chance - but now, even I find myself sometimes only giving an album two or three listens - which is completely unfair, especially with "extreme" albums, which don't usually lend themselves to quick listens. Most of my favourite albums didn't seem all that great when I first listened to them - after all, would you marry a girl who let you fist her arse on the first date ?

:kickass:

Haha, see I do agree pretty much with the majority of that there and I am to an extent still a "victim" of the mp3 generation as I do still download a good bit but I do at least give each album I download a decent chance - I may not get around to listening to everything right away, but everything is given its time to sink in. I listen to my favorites quite frequently, obviously, but there will be days when I dedicate myself to listening to three or four albums and just getting a good feel for them, but I'll break it up as to not get swamped by the albums with a few "breaks."

I think the mp3 generation opens one up to being able to appreciate more things, but one has to make the effort to do so.

It's a difficult thing to tell someone that an album is good if not understood at first, with only more listenings needed.

The value and worth of an album doesn't change. It is what it is. Some people will understand certain things in different ways, or they won't understand it at all. This all depends on the person, not the painting, or book, or in this case, music album.

All you can do is present someone with something, and it's up to them to figure out whether it is in any way relevant or important to them.

The content doesn't change but the way the person comes to view it can. There are several albums that revealed their true worth to me only after repeated listens.

I must say that I enjoy death metal no matter where it comes from. I dont like just any death metal band though, theres usually just something that pulls me to a band, a mood or atmosphere or a style or whatever. A lot of times I get this "attitude" for lack of a better word, from European bands more than US bands. Thats not to say that I dont love loads of US bands, but I seem to enjoy the European ones more often.

Yea, I suppose quantity and quality-wise Sweden prevails. I was merely referring to the top of the crop Norwegian DM which tramples over everything else(soooo biased:cool: )

Yes, Finland's death metal scene has spawned some of the most purely melodic bands in Scandinavia, namely Kalmah, Sentenced, and Children of Bodom.

:lol: Children of Bodom and Kalmah are power metal, they're in NO way related to the death metal scene.