Useless Guitar Frequencies?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
A question for the people who mix "metal" guitar tracks, what freqs do you usually cut? I remember someone hear said they cut 250-350 from git-go.

Whatever the mix needs. The more you'll mix the less you'll have general guidelines, IMO, other than the standard (for me) 60 to 90hz high pass and 9000 to 11000hz low pass.

edit : i say that as if i had a load of experience hahaha
which isn't the case, just relating what my experience has been as of yet

Just about everything. Guitars suck ass hard.

700hz is an area that's cut in almost all amp tracks to get some dimension into them. The LP/HP stuff, the midbass area where the resonance of the cab is, the 2 to 4kHz area that represents vocal-territory, and the fizzy shit up above gets notichified.

So basically... everything.

Just about everything. Guitars suck ass hard.

700hz is an area that's cut in almost all amp tracks to get some dimension into them. The LP/HP stuff, the midbass area where the resonance of the cab is, the 2 to 4kHz area that represents vocal-territory, and the fizzy shit up above gets notichified.

So basically... everything.

Thanks for the input.

I was wondering if you could, perhaps, be a little more specific about the cuts you make in the 2 -4kHz range. For instance, what cuts do you make here to resolve certain specific sonic problems?

Also, about the fizz, at what freqs does it lurk around? I remember hearing that it lurked around the 5.3 - 6.7kHz area.

guitars vary wildly dude, this is just one of those things that takes years of practice. just don't be afraid to make a million tiny notches, there's no rule of thumb, that's just the most difficult part of carving out a pleasant sounding mix.

guitars vary wildly dude, this is just one of those things that takes years of practice. just don't be afraid to make a million tiny notches, there's no rule of thumb, that's just the most difficult part of carving out a pleasant sounding mix.

+1

Above are some really good guidelines, but for individual tracks one thing that can help is: make a narrow EQ boost, then slide it up and down the EQ frequencies you're listening to, to single out any offending frequencies. Once you find it / them, you can then turn your boost into a cut.

Above are some really good guidelines, but for individual tracks one thing that can help is: make a narrow EQ boost, then slide it up and down the EQ frequencies you're listening to, to single out any offending frequencies. Once you find it / them, you can then turn your boost into a cut.

+10

i use very narrow spikes to cut out stuff in the 4k area. Most of the time i end up having 2 or 3 cuts and then boost 4k with a wide q to get back some of the air. I'm still struggling with guitars though.

yes. reaEQ is great for this cause of the lite/fast interface and limitless bands and quick/easy flexibility, and it's a very raw quick n' dirty EQ that doesn't color anything...meaning, if there's an offensive frequency, reaEQ will make it sound horrifying when boosted, and non-coloring EQ's are safe for lots of surgical cuts.

Thanks! That seems like a very effective, yet, at the same time, simplistic way to get the job done. I'll give that a shot today.

Personally I've found that eq'd guitars generally suck ass. It sounds so much better to get the source right so you have to do as little eq'ing as possible in my opinion.

If you do have to eq then it's totally source dependent so no-one can really help you with "useless frequencies" as it's going to be different every time due to the player/guitar/amp/cab/mic/position combination. Sometimes you might need to pull out some 4K, sometimes not. It all depends on the source sound.

Personally I've found that eq'd guitars generally suck ass. It sounds so much better to get the source right so you have to do as little eq'ing as possible in my opinion.

If you do have to eq then it's totally source dependent so no-one can really help you with "useless frequencies" as it's going to be different every time due to the player/guitar/amp/cab/mic/position combination. Sometimes you might need to pull out some 4K, sometimes not. It all depends on the source sound.

+1 I haven't srsly eq'd my guitar (besides cutting under 100hz and 1bove 12khz and minor cuts) since months ago.

+1 just dial it in the way you want to. I hardly ever use EQ on guitars besides HP/LP, unless there is something extremely overbearing, then it's a narrowband cut

Sometimes ill start with doing a large amount of cut first instead of boost to find the offending frequencies. The best advice though that mainly everyone has said is just use your EARS. Turn the knobs till they sound good. Sometimes we as engineers over think shit. Remember mixing is an art. So be creative and do what works for YOU.