Utter Disaster - Denver Concert - Annette to hospital

SheisMySin

Apr 24, 2006
So after Kamelot finishes up with their set, Toumos and the bagpipe player come out to tell Denver that Annette is being rushed to the hospital because of pains and vomiting. My gf who works in a hospital says that the symptoms they said sounded like appendicitis. Hopefully it's just food poisoning or something.

Anyway, super suck.

They say they are going to have the girl from Kamelot try to sing some songs, and the crowd can help so there's at least a show. Sweet.

First song is Storytime. Both girls from Kamelot come on stage, and surprisingly, the vocals are as good as Annette to start. Nice! But things go south quickly. Her timing is off here and there, but it's passable.

Second song is I wish I had an Angel, and the singer starts singing some other song completely. lol. It's a mess, and they just stop the song completely. Start over...passable, but still awful.

Then the third song, the lights start getting screwy because they are just making stuff up as they go along because the singer just misses cues badly.

So then I think Toumos has enough, and she goes away. They play some songs without a singer....some Marco sings...lots of songs just go with missing vocals except for the chorus. And when I say lots of songs, I mean maybe 4.

Kamelot girl singer comes out for Nemo, and it's awful. Some notes she can hit, some her pitch is all over the place, and her timing is just bad. It's hard to sing along.

OVer the hills was next and that was spotty...

My stomach hurt. My ears hurt. I am sorry Annette couldn't sing, and I applaud NW for going through with what they could, but it was a disaster. I was shocked that Marco didn't know all the lyrics to all the songs. Even stuff like I want my tears back, they wouldn't sing the female parts. Weird.

Get better Annette. Hope the rest of the tour isn't like Denver.

Just posted on Facebook. Talk about putting a spin on things.

We were in hell today. Vocalist in a hospital. Show about to be cancelled... But nobody gave up an inch. With the help from the ladies Elise and Alyssa from Kamelot we actually managed to pull of a relaxed and great show! The crowd doing the mass karaoke with the band playing was absolutely amazing. We were humbled and grateful at the same time. This is unity and help from friends and fans. Anette is already recovering thanks to the medical staff and whatever powers there exists. The shows will go on. We give our greatest respect to Alyssa, Elise and the crowd in Ogden Theatre, Denver. You rule!!!

By reading Nightwish's Facebook it doesn't sound like a huge disaster at all. Looks like most people who were present think it was cool "tr00 metal sisterhood" for Elize and Alyssa to step ahead and fill in Anette's unexpected absence.

Hope that Anette will recover soon as there are still many shows to play on the US tour. :)

Found this review of the Denver gig. Thanks to the writer, awesome!!!

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Nightwish Minus One...Plus Magic

The scene: The Ogden Theater, Friday the 28th. Andrew, Ian, and I were standing in the middle of the ground floor, next to the area with the sound and light boards. My ears were still ringing after hearing Kamelot's opening set, which was some serious fuckin' metal; they even played a couple of songs I recognized, "Ghost Opera" and "March of Mephisto." The stagehands were busy removing their equipment and preparing for the main act: Nightwish. This was the concert I'd been waiting for. I'd even spotted Marco out in the alley earlier, as I was waiting in line for the will-call window; he was busy filming an interview of some sort.

Suddenly, two familiar figures appeared on stage: Tuomas Holopainen, the keyboardist and composer for the band, and Troy Donockley, the piper that featured so heavily as a guest on Imaginaerum, and before that, on "The Islander" and "Last of the Wilds." The room erupted in cheers.

Tuomas raised a finger to his lips, signaling for quiet. (He doesn't speak much in public.)

"That means a lot to us," said Troy, before launching into the bad news: Anette, the lead singer, was very sick, had been violently vomiting, and was being rushed over to the hospital as we speak. However, a backup plan of sorts was being worked out. Elise Ryd, backup vocalist for Kamelot, had volunteered to step in and sing what she could, and the band would count on our help with the rest. He put it to a show of hands. I raised both my hands; the theater was a sea of raised hands.

The crowd had spoken. The show would go on.

Now, sometimes, incidents like this result in disaster.

But sometimes--sometimes--this is when magic happens.

The lights finally went down; the music from Crimson Tide, Nightwish's intro, started playing. The cheers went up from the theater as, on the dimly-lit stage, the musicians took their places. Tuomas, at stage left with his keyboards. Jukka, back center behind the drum kit. Marco and Emppu, their axes ready, up front.

Tuomas began the piano intro to "Storytime," the rest of the band coming in on cue. And, out on the stage, lyric sheets clutched in their hands, walked not only Elise but Alissa White-Gluz of The Agonist, a guest vocalist Kamelot had brought on stage. And they--and we--began to sing. Now, "Storytime" is a powerful piece of music, and not easy to sing, but we were all there for her. I felt as if I were trying to lend her energy, to project the words to her, to support her as she took on no easy task. And I think a lot of other people did, too. The orchestral C-section of that song is just tremendous; I felt filled with power, almost as if I were trying to levitate off the floor. All around me, the chants rose as arms were lifted in the air. Then the instrumental break ended, we rose our voices as a choir would, and began the last chorus: "I am the voice of Never-Never Land..."

The song crashed to a triumphant end, and as the cheers rang out, the band swung right into their well-known "Wish I Had An Angel." Only problem was, as the first verse began, the vocals were a bit off...Elise had started singing "Amaranth" by mistake. The band stopped the song, and Marco got her straightened out; I think she'd just picked the wrong lyric sheet off the floor. Tuomas played the opening chord again, Jukka tapped two quick hi-hat beats, and the band started again. This time, all went forward correctly. Then, after the song pulled to a halt, Tuomas struck up the keyboard intro to "Amaranth," probably the band's biggest recent hit. Elise finally got to sing the lyrics she'd started out wrong on, and coped pretty well with this one, too.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it; Elise's performance wasn't exactly up to Anette's standards. She missed entries; she mangled lyrics; her timing and pitch weren't always up to par. But I don't think the crowd minded. I know I certainly didn't; I was keeping pace with her, still trying my best to project strength to her. After "Amaranth," she left the stage (possibly for some more quick rehearsals?) as the band launched into "Scaretale," for which Marco sang all the lyrics. He does sing the middle section of that song, where it goes all humppa; as the song got past the first bit, he quipped, "Okay, now we're coming to the part of the song I know." There are plenty of instrumental breaks in the song, too, so the vocal performance wasn't as critical. And we were there to help him, too.

Troy Donockley took the stage, joking, "I had to change my Pampers earlier," referring to his initial delivery of the bad news about Anette. The band launched into a familiar (to us) three-measure guitar intro, and Marco and we all sang together, "I want my tears back!" For this one, Marco didn't try to sing Anette's parts, but we in the audience filled in...then Marco joined us for his half of the chorus, and the lines, "I want my tears back! I want my tears back now!" Then Marco and Emppu traded their guitars for acoustic ones, Jukka came forward and sat on a box he could pound, and the band, Troy included, started the folk-metal track "The Islander." Marco threatened those of us with cellphones right before the song, then had us all whip 'em out, light the screens, and raise them in the air. We sang with him as he spun the tale of an elderly seaman now tending a lighthouse; I even found myself singing something closer to Anette's vocal line of the chorus, as if to summon her spirit to be with us. The band launched into an extended instrumental entry to "Last of the Wilds," on which there are no vocals, so no real difference there.

The next track, "Planet Hell," had us singing, not Anette's parts, but Tarja's parts that Anette would have sung had she been there. Fortunately, I was able to take out my phone, call up the track, and display the lyrics so I didn't make a mistake. "Save yourself a penny for the ferryman, save yourself and let them suffer!" we all sang, then Marco stopped as I and others continued, "In hope, in love, this world ain't ready for the Ark..." For friends of McKenzie, a fan who had passed on (there were people in the audience wearing T-shirts with "RIP McKenzie" on the front and "Nightwish Fan" on the back, the band played what Marco called "a world premiere, we've never done this one live before," the track "Rest Calm." He omitted Anette's lyrics in that version, too, but we picked them right up.

For the next song, Marco called Elise back out, as well as Troy. Now, Nightwish has been doing "Nemo" on this tour, but as an acoustic version (which I've seen on YouTube; it was powerful yet understated). Tonight, however, they launched into the regular live version, bobbled lyrics and all. But at least I got to chant "NIGHT-wish! NIGHT-wish! NIGHT-wish!" over the bridge, just as I had in 2008 with Anette leading us all.

The band finished with Troy playing a short Irish selection called "Mug of Brown Ale," and, I swear, Elise started dancing an Irish jig there on stage! Okay, Riverdance it was...not, but the crowd liked it. This segued into their Gary Moore cover, "Over the Hills And Far Away," and one last opportunity for us to raise our voices with Nightwish in song. Many hugs were exchanged on stage, as the band--all seven of them, counting both Elise and Alissa--took a bow. They exited to the sounds of cheers and the "Imaginaerum" overture, and we exited the theater to find our way home, after what felt to me like the closest thing to a "religious experience" I'd felt.

So what conclusions can be drawn from this for mortal man? Three of them, in my opinion:

1.Elise demonstrated some serious balls when she stepped in to fill Anette's shoes tonight. The music can be difficult, and it showed in her performance, but she worked the crowd well and had all of us firmly behind her. I have no problem bestowing on her the title of "honorary member of Nightwish."

2.Of course, she had the support of the fans all the way. And Denver Nightwish fans--Denver fans of anything, really--are the most fucking awesome fans on Earth. No, not just me, or my friends. All of them.

3.And, at the end of the day, Nightwish isn't really about Anette. Or Tarja. It's about the music. Tuomas' music, to be precise. He is the creative center, the logos, the Owl and the Dead Boy incarnate. The music normally speaks through Anette, as it once spoke through Tarja, but it spoke through Elise tonight--and through all of us. And I think people are starting to Get It now, and rise above the petty lead-singer squabbles to appreciate what we've been given.

Now...when does Imaginaerum (the movie) play in the States?

Posted at 02:18AM Sep 29 2012 by Erbo in Music

Well, it was a disaster that could have turned out a lot worse, that's for sure. I really have to take off my hat to the band for continuing on, and to Elise for helping out. I mean, they could have very easily cancelled the show; so the fact that they came out and put on a show speaks volumes. I think due to the circumstances that most people will forgive any errors or things that didn't turn out quite right. If anything, you guys in Denver were part of what will be considered an historical event in the ongoing story of Nightwish, and that is pretty f*ckin' cool!

And we also have the missing piece of the puzzle to Desi's text the other night about the band soundchecking "Rest Calm". Very cool!

Quoting post by John Finberg (Nightwish's North American agent) in Nightwish's Facebook:

John Finberg

Denver was amazing and the girls did a fantastic job..... The promoter sat in his office saying that NO OTHER BAND IN THE VENUE HISTORY has ever done what Nightwish did last night and couldnt believe they went up onstage.... The venue , staff and band could NOT have handled the situation any better

The Denver show opening: Storytime with Alyssa & Elise (not the best quality clip but who cares?)

All I'm going to say is that review posted by Enigma is EXTREMELY sugarcoated. lol

When you try to sing along at concerts, and the lyrics aren't right, it's a bad concert.

But yes...thank you to NW for making the show go on. It could have been a cancelled set. Still...when you're dropping $120 for 2 tix, it's a really bad return on investment. And this whole "magical karaoke" lol...sure, maybe on some of the choruses the crowd was able to carry the song, but there was NO help on the verses. It was just bad.

Also, the music was VERY clear and crisp. NW has a phenomenal sound live. Probably the best metal concert sound I've ever been to. It's just a shame the lyrics were gone.

also, I've seen NW 3 times. They come to Denver maybe once every 3 or 4 years or whatever...so it just sucked we can't get a NW show, and will now have to wait around 2 more years.

X

I'm gonna get hell for this, but those Kamelot girls sound better than Anette, especially the one singing Nemo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djVXwl7PI_I&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Elize is incredibly talented, and her voice is very similar to Anette's. Also she tends to avoid some of Anette's more irritating rhythm issues and odd vocalizations, so she sounds smoother when she sings. Alissa is not even human. Pure and simple. Her clean vocals always floor me, even though I can't stand a song which is growled the whole way through and therefor am not a big fan of The Agonist by and large. They're both incredible, which is why they did as well as they did singing songs they didn't even know in public. Yes, their timing was off on occasion, but I don't think they had the sheet music in their hands - just the lyrics, so it's understandable that they'd miss a cue or two. This was improve people; not a planned, rehearsed spectacle. Was it perfect? Of course not. Was it great considering they just pulled it out of their asses? YES. Does that make it suck less that those of you at the show paid to see Anette and didn't get her. No. But at the same time, Elize and Alissa singing onstage with Nightwish is not something that will be happening again once Anette is well again, so, flawed though it may have been, you got something special. That's what I think, anyway.

Honestly, that clip of "Nemo", other than the words not being quite right, I never would have known that wasn't Anette!

also, I've seen NW 3 times. They come to Denver maybe once every 3 or 4 years or whatever...so it just sucked we can't get a NW show, and will now have to wait around 2 more years.

I definitely understand your frustration; considering that if Anette had become seriously ill to where the rest of the tour (or multiple shows) had to be cancelled, most likely the band would do something similar like they did in '09 after the shows in '08 were cancelled, and return for a small tour of that area to make up for the lost gigs. But I don't think they will do that for one show. Who knows, though? Maybe when they come back your way, you'll get 2 nights to make up for this one!

Found more vids about Elize Ryd filling in for Anette at the Ogden Theater in Denver Sept 28. 2012

Nemo & Over the Hills and Far Away​

Wish I had an Angel​

Elize did excellent job considering she had no time to rehearse at all. She even had to bend down to read the lyrics sheet for a while in the middle of Nemo. :D

Not every lady would have had the guts to step on the stage in those circumstances like she did. Respect! :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anette just posted this on her blog:

Saturday, 29 September 2012

My dear ones...

I am so sorry that I couldn't be on stage yesterday in Denver:-( I got very ill the night before and first went to the ER in the morning and were there for 5 hours before they released me with some painkillers and thought it was a kidney stone. Unfortunately I got worse at 7 in the evening and started vomitting heavily and my fever rised.

After talking to the hospital they said I should cancel the show and come straight back in to the ER. I was there all night and I was very dehydrated so they gave me 2 litres of fluid though an IV, they did blood tests, ultrasounds on my kidneys and finally a ct scan. These tests didn't show why I was so ill but probably the stomach pain has a connection with me having the flu or just stress. They did find something else though and for that I'm grateful. If I didn't do the scan I wouldn't know there's a big cyst in my liver and I need to go check it out ASAP at home. I do feel better today but still fever cough and a very soar throat but hopefully I can be on stage tonight, even if it means shorten the set list. Thanks for your time to read this!

Enjoy this day! -

Posted by Anette Olzon

I do think the stand in girl had a better vocal than annette when she knew what she was doing. That's when I thought "right on!!"

But that quickly disappeared as she just didn't have the experience.

I'm not really looking at the YouTube since I was there, but most of the songs they were playing were just incomplete with no female at all.

I was shocked Marco couldn't fill in since he's the frontman for Tarot. I would have thought he would have known all the songs.

X

Isn't "Last Ride of the Day" the closer of the shows?

Kiitos, Enigma!

Hmm...apparently Anette wrote something else on her blog that was quite interesting...

And one more thing..I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine. Tonight I'll be on stage doing my best despite illness:) See u in some hours!!

Anette just posted this on her blog:

If I didn't do the scan I wouldn't know there's a big cyst in my liver and I need to go check it out ASAP at home.

Oh

SHIT!

A cyst in her liver???

That is very bad. She needs to get that checked immediately.

Hmm...apparently Anette wrote something else on her blog that was quite interesting...
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with that comment. :bah: That was not cool after Elize and Alissa risked looking like fools to bail out her ass. I understand that some of the annoying trolls are probably saying they should replace her with Elize and so on, which is the last thing she wants to read I'm sure given all the Tarja trolls still harassing her, but come on! What the hell were the boys supposed to do? call her when the doctors were working on her to ask "oh hey, is this okay?"