Utter Disaster - Denver Concert - Annette to hospital

Well I listened to After Forever, and asides from being a tyical metla chick singer, I didn't think she brought anything new to NW.

I'll have to listen to her more tonight when I can.

Welcome Yellicky! :wave:

And thanks for the video; at least now if she is the permanent replacement we'll get to hear the Tarja songs sung operatically, as they should be.

I think C should start a new thread for Annette LEaving.

Mel beat me to it, but I don't always have to start the threads here. Anyone can start one, they don't have to wait for me to do it. ;)

I remember when Anette was hired, Tuomas said it came down to a choice between her and one other woman, unnamed. I have a strong suspicion it was Floor.

I don't think Floor would've gone for it. Remagine had pretty much broken After Forever in Europe the year before and they'd just signed a deal with Nuclear Blast, sadly they only lasted one more album.

I don't think we'll ever really know who that person was, out of respect to them. I mean, would *you* want to know if you had been that person?

lol - uh...yes?

I'd want to know if I came in 2nd vs. 10th or 500th...and I'd want to know why I didn't get the job. Then I could work on things if need be.

X

^I think that was why Tuomas said they would not reveal any of the other candidates (unless, obviously, the candidates themselves revealed that they were the candidates...that was a weird sentence, sorry). Because he said more than a few of them were quite well-known, and imagine if a) you lost to a rookie, b) your reputation was damaged by fans feeling betrayed that you might leave their favourite band, and c) you didn't tell your band that you tried out, and they were PISSED that you thought of leaving. :lol:

and imagine if a) you lost to a rookie, b) your reputation was damaged by fans feeling betrayed that you might leave their favourite band, and c) you didn't tell your band that you tried out, and they were PISSED that you thought of leaving. :lol:

a) Rookies beat out people in other arenas of competition/sports/work ALL the time. Many bands/teams/employers prefer younger people who may have a fresh approach, bring an energy to the situation, or who might have something else intangible to offer.

b) If I was a fan I would rather have someone be candid and forthright about such things......I would respect it for what it is and try to understand the reasons why they made that choice. And if I was the performer I would rather the fan know the reasons clearly rather than have rumors fly around all over the internet.

c) Again, the honest thing and being up front so that there's no deception involved. Both parties should care about sharing how they feel openly without harsh judgment. And if someone in that band didn't understand that and try to support you, then they probably don't care about you as a person......rather they care about you can do for them. You might be better off without that band.

Bottom line is people need to get over themselves. Fans, band members alike. Put your big boy pants on and deal with the real world. I know that is easier said than done. People are emotional creatures by nature. But esp. in a business type atmosphere (and let's face it, when you get to this point it is more of a business than just playing in a garage with your friends) mature people are respectful of others and try to empathize, but recognize that someone's emotions (ie they are PISSED) are ultimately their own responsibility. Where I work if you act like that you would get eaten alive.

All that being said, Tuomas is reticent because that is the class thing to do. It's not up to the band doing the auditioning to make the information public knowledge.....it should be the choice of the performer who is auditioning (unless there is an agreement beforehand that it will be known that way). And some performers might view the experience as a way to capitalize on even being rejected for the position in exchange for the professional exposure of auditioning for a "bigger" band......and showing everyone that at least they were considered for such a position. Dream Theater auditioning drummers comes to mind.

a) Rookies beat out people in other arenas of competition/sports/work ALL the time. Many bands/teams/employers prefer younger people who may have a fresh approach, bring an energy to the situation, or who might have something else intangible to offer.

b) If I was a fan I would rather have someone be candid and forthright about such things......I would respect it for what it is and try to understand the reasons why they made that choice. And if I was the performer I would rather the fan know the reasons clearly rather than have rumors fly around all over the internet.

c) Again, the honest thing and being up front so that there's no deception involved. Both parties should care about sharing how they feel openly without harsh judgment. And if someone in that band didn't understand that and try to support you, then they probably don't care about you as a person......rather they care about you can do for them. You might be better off without that band.

Bottom line is people need to get over themselves. Fans, band members alike. Put your big boy pants on and deal with the real world. I know that is easier said than done. People are emotional creatures by nature. But esp. in a business type atmosphere (and let's face it, when you get to this point it is more of a business than just playing in a garage with your friends) mature people are respectful of others and try to empathize, but recognize that someone's emotions (ie they are PISSED) are ultimately their own responsibility. Where I work if you act like that you would get eaten alive.

All that being said, Tuomas is reticent because that is the class thing to do. It's not up to the band doing the auditioning to make the information public knowledge.....it should be the choice of the performer who is auditioning (unless there is an agreement beforehand that it will be known that way). And some performers might view the experience as a way to capitalize on even being rejected for the position in exchange for the professional exposure of auditioning for a "bigger" band......and showing everyone that at least they were considered for such a position. Dream Theater auditioning drummers comes to mind.

The prominent example that comes to mind is Ralf Scheepers when he auditioned for Judas Priest. Rested everything on getting it and ended up completely bandless.

The prominent example that comes to mind is Ralf Scheepers when he auditioned for Judas Priest. Rested everything on getting it and ended up completely bandless.

My sense is that he would say it was worth it. He pursued a dream situation and came up short. At least he took a shot. He will land on his feet again if he is talented and perserveres.

Also, my guess is if you asked him how he would feel about one of his former bandmates getting the opportunity to audition for Judas Priest......he would be all in for them.

Liken it to people who work in "regular" jobs that look for better situations and do interviews with other places of employment. That happens all the time and nobody begrudges anyone for doing so even if it's hugely disappointing. Nor should it be any different with bands. A competitive environment in that context promotes excellence and just might create a better opportunity for BOTH parties involved. For every Ralf Scheepers there is probably 5 scenarios that turned out positive. Obviously if someone is feeling restless and is LOOKING to move on in that regard.....that certainly can't be good for the collective chemistry of the existing band. Some people need (or think they need....it ultimately doesn't matter) a change of scenery to continue to shine.

I read somewhere that if Anette had said no, then the Finnish singer Saija "Sani" Aartela would have been the new NW singer...?

Well I listened to some Floor songs last night, and I just couldn't get into her voice. Maybe that would be different if it was with Toumos' music.

I did really like the link to AF's cover of She is my Sin. Sounded very Tarja.

X

@ShisMySin It’s all good if you don’t dig Floor! LOL There are so many different voices out there that not all of them are going to move us. I have a friend that just doesn’t like her voice either. I do admit that older After Forever bores me to tears and her vocals sounded almost one dimensional at times. I’ve come to blame that on the material of the time. I also haven’t warmed up completely to her ReVamp material so Floor definitely benefits from outside writers. This is all IMHO of course. Besides that, I love her voice and her enthusiasm live is just plain awesome. She is INTO the show when she sings, and is a tremendous front person. She also gets along with people because she does have a likeable personality. Just a peek into any of her posts, video clips or interviews as well as many that have met her, can attest to that. ALSO…remember she is only a temp fill-in at the moment and Tuomas may even have his future singer already in his head and we’ll find out later. You never know!

In no way am I trying to convince you and you may have even seen all of these clips, but in case you missed some of Floor’s other performances outside of After Forever. I put these as links instead of bunch big ugly boxes that would make my post obnoxious and big! In the end though, like i said, I'm sure there will be many that just do not like her and to each his or her own!

Floor in 2008 with Russell Allen singing Phantom of the Opera. (No, she does not hit Tarja’s inhuman end note! )
http://youtu.be/v6jaNRbDo8U

Floor doing a cover of Heart’s “Alone” with only a piano.
http://youtu.be/EpxOKueE-_0

Floor singing “Alone” live with After Forever but bad quality. Bummer since she smokes this here and I love how into it she is.
http://youtu.be/vpMKH5UfFkM

Floor with Star One live singing “Valley of the Queen” A folksy sort of thing that Nightwish does as well. The background vocals are her sister Irene.
http://youtu.be/i9-YHK9nAq4

Just a quick in studio shot of her belting out a part for Star One
http://youtu.be/Ghz6cdop9uw

Just to hear her powerful voice…go halfway in here and she performs “Energize Me” with just a string section and her voice. One thing we can agree one, this lady has serious pipes. In Nightwish, a powerful voice just works so well…as we all know here. :headbang:
http://youtu.be/uzW1jDAt69Q

~bruce

oh... and thank you C.! :) I remember OSA waaaaaaay back in the beginning and it's so cool it's still going strong! I think I used to post back then but I have no idea what I logged in as. That was before I got married, got a crazy job, kid...and became a lurker for the next half decade or more! But I always visited!

My sense is that he would say it was worth it. He pursued a dream situation and came up short. At least he took a shot. He will land on his feet again if he is talented and perserveres.

Um, you do realize he's had a band called Primal Fear, which he formed after Ripper got the job, and they have been huge in Europe for more than a decade, right?

Um, you do realize he's had a band called Primal Fear, which he formed after Ripper got the job, and they have been huge in Europe for more than a decade, right?
Um....no. Pardon me for not being up to snuff on my Ralf Scheepers trivia. I guess that reinforces my original point then, right?

Troy Donocley wrote Part 5 on his tour blog which he has kept in his Facebook.

"Keep Calm and Carry On...."

Oh yes indeedy.
These were the famous words written on "morale boosting" posters by the British government at the beginning of WW2. Now, I am not for one moment suggesting that the first half of our US tour has been like the outbreak of the war, but those words are pretty bloody pertinent!

Oh how we love touring the states. It's trite to say that the fans here are so brilliant ( they are of course) because the fans are brilliant EVERYWHERE. But they have been particularly lovely to us; especially in light of the recent explosive events.

Yes, a split with the singer Anette occurred but it was really, really for the best. Believe me.

The joy of this adventure was being wrecked and everyone was feeling very insecure... It was seriously interfering with our tasting sessions of the fine wines from the Napa Valley. Outrageous!

I mean, we never could have predicted that myself and Tuomas would find ourselves on stage, alone, asking an audience of over 1,600 in Denver to vote by a show of hands on whether the band should perform or not. Touchingly we were met by a sea of upraised hands; beautiful but how surreal...

Anyway, we have fully embraced the slogan from that heroic old poster, and we are all feeling a squillion times better. Our replacement singer Floor is simply majestic and we are having fearless fun. And on evidence of the ecstatic response to the last two shows, the fans seem to understand that this "vehicle of spirit" cannot be derailed so easily....

Onward!!!!

^ In these circumstances, I think Troy would do a favor both himself and the band by keeping bad jokes about wine tasting and Napa valley to himself... Though this does give me some perverse satisfaction; it's not only the hicks from the woods of eastern Finland in this band who suffer from tact deficiency.

But on a more serious note, him asserting that the split-up was for the best for all involved does carry some weight for me. After all I understand Troy is an accomplished musician in his own right and a semi-outsider, so his opinion can perhaps be taken more objectively than that of the directly involved parties.