Utter Disaster - Denver Concert - Annette to hospital

1) Is it too much to ask why doesn't Marco know all the lyrics to NW songs? He IS a frontman for Tarot afterall. Especially on something like Planet Hell! Instead of him singing all the words, we just get an incomplete song. lol yes, I know this is a silly gripe, but sheesh...you'd think after all these years and all these performances, he would have all the songs memorized. I'm not a musician though, so I don't know.

First of all, I do want to say that's a really sucyk experience, it must be gutting to get that close to see your favourite band and have it pulled like that.

I did want to mention one thing about the part I quoted. It's completely unfair on a musician to expect them to know the entire setlist on someone else's instrument and perform it off the cuff. The fact that he fronts Tarot means that he knows the words to Tarot songs, not to Nightwish songs.

As a musician, I've forgotten lyrics I've written for my vocalists over the years. To expect someone to pick up the main vocals, while playing his instrument, straight off the bat is completely unfair. I play guitar. If the other guitarist can't make it, I don't play his guitar parts (we don't play if we all can't make it, but that's not the point). You do your own job in the band in a situation like that, or it'll be a whole lot worse than what actually happened.

I was lucky enough to see After Forever before they broke up and they were, far and away, the best band out of the lady-metal movement from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Will be interesting to see how she deals with the high stuff as I've always thought Floor had the most powerful voice but the smallest (relative) range.

Well this is an interesting turn of events, I just saw the news on Facebook. I will be seeing them tomorrow at the Portland show so I will be sure to report back. I love Floor, I have always wanted the opportunity to see her perform since I didn't get a chance to see After Forever, but I am not sure this is the way I wanted to see her. We will just have to see how it goes!

As a musician, I've forgotten lyrics I've written for my vocalists over the years. To expect someone to pick up the main vocals, while playing his instrument, straight off the bat is completely unfair. I play guitar. If the other guitarist can't make it, I don't play his guitar parts (we don't play if we all can't make it, but that's not the point). You do your own job in the band in a situation like that, or it'll be a whole lot worse than what actually happened.

Thanks Twaddle - I didn't know if it was like that or not. It's understandable.

Holy crap that is huge.

Just makes me wonder if she really did have to go to the hospital now.

I'm sure Floor can nail the material. I want to see her in permanently. She has a powerful voice and more aggression than either Tarja or Anette. She'll do great.

Nice to see you again, Melusina!

I don't know Floor enough. I always thought that the opera singer from Trans Siberian Orchestra had a very Tarja like operatic voice. Very powerful, not just a high pitched girl voice.

Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this....in mid tour no less. There has to be diva drama there.

I thought the whole "SO SICK she couldn't perform in Denver, but nailed the next day's concert" was bullshit....

Whatever it is...I'm not willing to blame Tuomas for it as the band is his baby and he needs the right vocalist for his vision. Anyway, I'll miss Anette, but damn...I'm a huge Floor Jansen fan! If they hire her I'll be on cloud 9!

Hi Snowy! I try to pop in once in awhile around here, it has been a very big year for me, I am officially a married woman as of two weeks ago!

I have no doubts that Floor is going to do a great job, she is such a powerful singer I have always admired her voice. I would also not complain if she became a full time member of the band.

Congrats, Melusina!

Yeah, I'm back too! Oddly enough I left during the whole Tarja vs. Anette debacle a few years back...and now that I am back, Anette is gone, and now someone new will have to step in...I must have bad luck lol! No, seriously...the band will go on and continue to thrive. As long as Tuomas keeps writing great songs, the band will continue to be great.

I remember when Anette was hired, Tuomas said it came down to a choice between her and one other woman, unnamed. I have a strong suspicion it was Floor.

And while we're all speculating that Anette was canned due to problems, the findings of the CT scan might also have prompted things. She now has to deal with a potentially severe health issue.

As long as there is an opening for a vocalist in Nightwish, I will hold out hope they re-hire Tarja!

lol

X

I sincerely apologize for stepping into this thread. I'm a huge lurker as you can tell by my post count but I read all these forums daily. I've been a NW fan since I heard the Carpenter on a comp DVD back in the 90's so I'm longtime fan! I'm also a HUGE Floor fan. I'm surprised there are some here that aren't familiar with her as she is known as one of the best of the big female voices. Not only is her After Forever stuff worth checking out, but her voice in Star One, Ayreon and some others I'm forgetting about, is simply awesome. She can do both standard rock singing (check out her Heart "Alone" cover) and the operatic type of vocals. I'm not sure if she'll ditch all of the projects like Revamp and whatnot that she's working on but I would be ecstatic to see her fronting Nightwish permanently. I thought when Tarja left, she was the perfect replacement. I know there are some nitpicking Tarja fans but check out this NW cover of "She Is My Sin" that After Forever performed. Not too bad eh? Perfect Tarja like performance? No but better than completely redoing the song.

Last edited by a moderator: