I miss Annette :-(

SheisMySin

Apr 24, 2006
I was the biggest Tarja fan in the world. I HATED her departure, and HATED Annette. Everything special that NW was, was because of Tarja's magical voice. No one could replace her.

Only now...that Annette is gone...do I finally miss what she brought to the table. It's like dating a really great girl, and then breaking up with her, and dating an equally great girl too soon, when you're not over the 1st girl. And then you keep comparing girl #2 to girl #1, and she always comes up short. When you finally dump girl #2...after some time goes by and you heal from girl #1...you start missing girl #2, because she was so great, and never got a fair shot.

lol..I'm rambling...

But I put in the CD Imaginearum yesterday and have been jamming it non stop, and Annette's voice, while not powerful, really is a great fit for Nightwish. It's soft and delicate...playful and fantastical. Her voice was original in her own right, just like Tarja's. Tumous did a fine job of picking someone very special in Annette...amongst the sea of average chick vocalists.

Makes me sad she's gone now. :-(

RIP Annette - I miss you.

X

That happened with a lot of Tarja fans too when Anette hit the scene. There were a lot of fans, especially in the U.S., who were not sad to see Tarja go and actually were glad about it. But then after hearing Anette, they missed what Tarja brought to the table. I think it's just human nature to miss what we had after we don't have it anymore. :(

Thing is, we still don't know for sure yet if Floor is the permanent replacement, so I think a lot of fans are trying their best not to get "attached" to her in case she doesn't pan out. So it probably makes Anette's loss all the harder, because by all accounts, she's technically the last official singer of the band, and we don't know what the future holds. So it's a lot easier to look to the past. On the other hand, so many people have embraced Floor so quickly that I think a lot of folks have forgotten the special things Anette brought to the table. There were so many things I liked about her and will miss now that she's gone. It's weird, but I went through the same feelings with Tarja; after my initial feelings of being pissed about the situation wore off, I missed their contributions to the band and often went back to the old stuff. I hope that over time, Anette's time with the band will be remembered with as much fondness as Tarja, although Anette's time in Nightwish was only about half of what Tarja's was. :(

Hmm, to view it through the analogy you made, perhaps for many, Floor is the "rebound relationship" that you jump into right after the breakup; something you're not sure will last, but you're so convinced is better than what you just came from?

Well, at least Anette is not dead, and who knows? She may put out a solo album in the near future, or even reunite with Nightwish someday. That seems a lot more probable than Tarja ever reuniting with them, anyway. It doesn't seem as though they parted on bitter terms with Anette, anyway. Maybe not friendly terms, but certainly with less animosity than with Tarja! Time will tell, and stranger things have happened!

Floor is just a one night stand.

I don't care for her, and she's just fulfilling sexual needs (metaphor) until they are emotionally ready for a new partner.

I didn't always like her either; in fact, I know there's a post somewhere around here that once said if they ever picked her as a singer, I'd turn in my OSA badge.

Hell, I'd say the same was true of Anette too; when I first heard her via the Alyson Avenue stuff, my first thought was, "what the hell was Tuomas thinking?" But his music has a way of bringing out the best in whoever sings it. I never thought much of Floor before, hearing all the other music she did. But she really does justice to the Nightwish material. It would be interesting to hear what she would sound like on a Tuomas composition written specifically for her, anyway.

But I have said this before, I think at this point if they are not going to stick with Floor, maybe they should consider just using guest female vocalists from here on out. I think a lot of fans are tired of the musical chairs, and getting emotionally attached to a singer only to lose her after an album or two. At least with guest singers, everyone knows the score up-front.

But I have said this before, I think at this point if they are not going to stick with Floor, maybe they should consider just using guest female vocalists from here on out. I think a lot of fans are tired of the musical chairs, and getting emotionally attached to a singer only to lose her after an album or two. At least with guest singers, everyone knows the score up-front.

I really like this idea. Personally, I'd prefer they stick with Floor, however the opportunities in using guest vocalists are endless. They could even use a few guests at a time. For example, they might not be so tied to using one vocalist per album. It could potentially add a strong dimension to their music, having multiple female vocalists on an album.

Additionally, they could have vocalists already in the scene without them feeling like they have an obligation to drop their other bands and projects for the sake of Nightwish. Maybe they could have one singer cover one leg of a tour, and one cover another. Or have different vocalists touring to the ones on the album. There's a lot of possibilities there, and nobody feels obliged to do anything. Sounds a bit like a win-win to me. Though I still think they should keep Floor. She's brilliant and I absolutely love her interpretations of the songs.

I think they should keep Floor too; she fits them well and does both eras of Nightwish justice vocally. But, in the (very likely) instance that she's just a fill-in for the tour and has no intention of staying permanently, I almost hope this is the option they will take. Not very many bands survive this many singer changes, and while it looks like they can, I think it would be better for everyone (the band and the fans) if things were a little "looser" and there was a "revolving door policy" with the singers from this point onward.

Oh yeah, she can sing both eras flawlessly. I especially love her version of Ghost Love Score. It's easy to tell that she really enjoys being with the band too, her video announcing the Japanese tour was so cute. I think the biggest problem in this equation would be ReVamp, and if she felt being a permanent member would get in the way of that. I mean, if they COULD find a permanent vocalist who seemed like she would stick around for a while, it might be rather good, but of course there would always be that tension in everyone's mind of how long she'd be staying for. The revolving door policy would make it easier on both ends, for sure, and give them a lot more creative freedom perhaps too.

*laugh* The woman was treated like dogshit, repeatedly insulted to the point they had to disable comments on YouTube, threatened with being shot in the face and and I suspect in part driven out in the end. We saw it here up until she left, and then one idiot floated the notion that Anette was faking her pregnancy. The Anette Derangement Syndrome knew no bounds for nearly seven years and now people miss her. You should have told the Tarja fans to STFU from the beginning and defended Anette.

I should stop reading these boards.

*laugh* The woman was treated like dogshit, repeatedly insulted to the point they had to disable comments on YouTube, threatened with being shot in the face and and I suspect in part driven out in the end. We saw it here up until she left, and then one idiot floated the notion that Anette was faking her pregnancy. The Anette Derangement Syndrome knew no bounds for nearly seven years and now people miss her. You should have told the Tarja fans to STFU from the beginning and defended Anette.

Well said. I wasn't all that attached to Tarja to begin with, so I was happy with Anette, and I've tried to defend her when things got heated, (which actually seemed to happen more on the OF than here) but after a while it started to feel like it wasn't even worth it, it was like talking to a wall. I really don't like Floor much at all, but I'm not going to insult her talent just because she's not to my taste. I could never understand why people didn't feel that Anette at least deserved the basic respect one gives to another human just out of decency. :mad: It still makes me angry.

Yea, the amount of shit Anette got was disgusting. I wasn't a huge fan of her voice on DPP but I was content. I thought she was excellent on Imaginaerum though and is a huge reason why I love that album so much. I've been vocal about her stage presence (or lack of) but it was always a minor gripe. I was sad to see her go but when I saw what Floor brought to the band my attention was focused on her and hoping she'd become a full time member. Doesn't mean I don't miss Anette though.

Let me say though that I do believe hiring Anette was the wrong decision based on the fact Tuomas had doubts about it right away because of her child and she practically had to beg them to re-assure them she'd be committed. Should always go with your gut. If these guys have any doubt at all that Floor or any other singer can not be fully committed to the group for the long haul then I agree it's time to go with guest vocalists from here on out. I personally think it would be neat as it would really keep challenging Tuomas as a song writer and as someone who finds him to be the best songwriter in the world, I'm sure it would constantly bring a new dimension to Nightwish's music. However, this is something I assume they really don't want to do. I have a really tough time naming any bands with guest vocalists that are currently relevant. Regardless, losing Tarja sucked, losing Anette sucked again and going through this a third time might be too much to handle for both the fans and the band. So much at stake here, I'd hate to be in their shoes for this decision.

Anyways, best of luck to Anette and much respect to her for putting up with the bullshit that got thrown her way.

^Well, Tuomas has confirmed yet again that he will not commit to naming a permanent replacement singer 'till next year; whether it's Floor or finding someone else entirely. So we have a long wait ahead of us.

There's a thread somewhere around here talking about how when Anette was chosen, Tuomas said that it came down to her and another well-known singer on the scene, but he would never name who that other person was. Considering the way things happened so quickly after Anette's sudden departure, I am all the more inclined to believe that the runner-up had been Floor. It all makes sense; if I remember correctly, Tuomas did not want to pick the other person because (I think) he said that recruiting a known name would shift the focus to her fame and less on Nightwish as a group or her as a member of the group (I may be wrong about this). But also, at the time, After Forever was still together so I could see where Tuomas would not want to hire Floor at that time because he may not have wanted her "allegiance" to be divided between two bands, and maybe he worried that she would be more committed to After Forever than to Nightwish, as it was her first band, after all.

I certainly would not be surprised if Floor had been a contender, and because of Tuomas' doubts about Anette having kids, that he didn't keep Floor in the back of his mind as a potential "back-up" possibility in case things didn't work out. To give an example; I know it's a terrible analogy, but consider the role of the runner-up in a beauty pageant. It's not just a title given to the person to make them feel better about losing; in the instance that the winner who is crowned cannot fulfill her duties for whatever reason, the runner-up steps in to take her place. The fact that Floor was brought in so quickly and how she seamlessly integrated herself into the band dynamic almost overnight just suggests that to me. I realize that she had originally been set to take Anette's place after the premiere in Helsinki, but that's still a 6-week time difference there in which Floor was meant to spend practicing the songs. So in any case, I really doubt that she was called that night and magically learned a setlist's worth of songs during the flight to the U.S. I'm sure she's a professional, but I'm also pretty certain she doesn't have magical powers! ;)

At any rate, it would not surprise me to hear at all if Tuomas has had Floor on "stand-by" in the instance that Anette didn't work out or if (because of her having kids or whatever) Anette couldn't fulfill her obligations to Nightwish. Most bands, even if they had a replacement waiting in the wings, could not produce someone that fast who already knew enough songs to complete a show, at least not without having them ready for a certain amount of time beforehand. Either way, it does indicate (at least to me) that Anette had some inclination that she was pregnant before the incident in Denver, because why else would they have made arrangements to have Floor take over after the premiere? While I doubt that Tuomas has had Floor as a "back-up plan" for all these years, I do definitely think that they were working with her for quite some time in advance. Perhaps even as early as the first shows right before ProgPower, as Floor was also there with one of her bands (or performing with some other band, I can't remember which). This is just my take on it, anyway.

I totally agree that the "guest vocalists" angle would be an awesome thing for us to hear, as fans of Tuomas' songwriting. Because at that point, the sky's the limit. He has no set boundaries on the type of voice he can write for, and he can experiment with all kinds of musical styles if he wants to. If he wants to have the more operatic singers on one track, and then shift dramatically to a more rock voice, he can do that. Or "celebrity" guest singers, for example. I mean, we could sit here all day imagining the types of singers out there that would sound amazing on a Tuomas composition. Nor does it need to be limited to one female voice at a time; if he wanted to write a song between two "dueling" female voices, he could do that. That is where the "guest vocalists" angle seems really exciting to me. And as a fan, I'm honestly tired of the revolving door of singers, and think that this way is much more "clean", if you will. No more drama or emotions involved; everyone comes and goes as they see fit, and anyone who comes into it knows that it's Tuomas' show and doesn't get offended when he moves on to the next vocalist or feels his creative vision can better be fulfilled by someone else. I can see where that would work better all the way around, in the instance that Floor doesn't work out.

But again, it's all just speculation on our part. Not like he is going to be sitting around reading all these suggestions made by us fans, right? ;) :lol:

Maybe Floor learned all the songs so fast because she likes Nightwish, and already knew them. People tend to sing along to music they like. I like Nightwish, and can sing most of the songs by memory.

Looks like Anette and Johan have officially tied the knot. (Photos provided courtesy of our friends from the TLJH page.)

995983_620215438009453_105479406_n.jpg

1098050_620212321343098_428802530_n.jpg

I feel so horribly upset for Anette that Floor's been so welcomed, some people wishing she'd stepped in in 2007. She can't even take comfort in appreciating that the fanbase just can't cope with change. I've always hoped that Tarja would someday do some kind of duet with Anette as a big "fuck you" to the people who had to make it a war.

^Yeah, I've said it here somewhere else, but it appears that Anette is becoming the Gary Cherone of Nightwish, and that's a sad thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Floor is so welcome, but it was for that same reason that I was not on board with the idea of them having her back in '07. I think back then it would have turned it into a "supergroup" aspect, and I didn't want that. Now, I think at this point in their career, they need a singer who is experienced and who can deal with the sometimes-rabid Nightwish fanbase. The fact that Floor is so respected already among many Nightwish fans already helps a great deal. But it still sucks that Anette seems to have been forgotten so quickly. For whatever her shortcomings, she was a part of the band for 5 years and did contribute things to the legacy of Nightwish.

I've always hoped that Tarja would someday do some kind of duet with Anette as a big "fuck you" to the people who had to make it a war.

What's keeping them? :heh:

It's really funny, in a kind of sad way, that A was nothing but crap for so many people and now, when she's gone, suddenly people go like 'O but I miss her so much, the guys were so cruel sacking her like that, poor girl.' Of course anyone is entitled to think whatever they want, but talk about inconsistency...

Not that I don't feel any sympathy for her, but the sad fact for me is that F's performance has made me realize all kinds of imperfections in A's work that I apparently just wanted to ignore because I liked her and the band and wanted them to succeed.

edited for typos