V Appreciation Thread

Postulate

Have a nice day! :)
Jul 17, 2008
I am tired of hearing and talking about shitty music in my life. In this thread, let's discuss one of the greatest pieces of popular music of all time.

I'm listening to it all the way through again right now, and it blows me away every time as if I had never heard it before. The band's use of rhythm, melody, timbre, everything...it combines so well. This is one of the only albums in existence which in my opinion does not have a single second of filler. Whereas I once was an overall SX fanboy, I don't even really listen to their other music anymore, because at any given moment I'd rather be listening to this album instead.

Things that especially jumped out at me this time:

-The verse to chorus transitions in Fallen. Symphony X is in my opinion one of the only bands that can pull off traditional song structures like that with any success at all.
-The way the bass compliments the keyboard at the start of Communion and the Oracle. Jesus fucking Christ, Lepond is a beast.
-The descent into the final choral verse of Communion. Holy motherfucking shit. Also, the verse that begins "fly..." Wow.
-The shift in mood from Communion to the Bird-Serpent War. In fact, the ability of this album overall to shift from a dreamlike state to an urgent one is impressive.
-The counterpoint in On the Breath of Poseidon...flows so well and atmospherically is perfect at the start, as if spirits of the sea are conversing with each other before making a strong resolve to push the child toward Egypt.
-The transition into the neo-classical solo during A Fool's Paradise. So perfect, so well placed. Such a good reference to such a great classical piece.
-The tone of the opening note of Rediscovery Pt. 1. Yes.
-The transition from the end of Rediscovery Pt. 1 to the opening riff of Pt. 2. The change is godly. Gave me an adrenaline rush.

Of course, I could rant for paragraphs about each song on this album (Yes, even Absence of Light, goddamnit). Every time I listen to this album I remember why the invention of metal was a worthwhile one.

I find that I like this album more and more with each listen. In fact, it's the album I most often discover. By that I mean that every time I go back to it I find something new and enjoyable that I never focused on before. This happens with The Odyssey as well, but V is more well-layered.

Well we're here, I would like to start an appreciation of V sub-thread for the enjoyment of A Fool's Paradise and Absence of Light: two of my all-time favorite and most underrated SX songs.

V is a great piece of music, and it bothers me that Symphony X will most likely never sound like this again. I love the way the keyboards are usually at the front of the music, as opposed to the guitar leading the way nowadays. Also, the use of polyrhythms (e.g. the bass and guitar playing a sweet riff while the keyboard plays something over it in a completely different time signature) stands out on this album more than their others. Symphony X are the masters of polyrhythms.

I love V, but I love all Symphony X has done, filler or not they've never disapointed me with their music. I do agree though V grows on you after every listen. Its not my favourite, but I do enjoy it. I think alot of people who get into the band are introduced to 'the Odyssey' and more recently 'Paradise Lost'. Both of which are significantly different from V, so its hard to take a step back like that I suppose (musically a step forward). But V is currently my 2nd favourite symphony X album and I wouldn't be surprised if it creeps its way into the number 1 spot!

Rediscovery (both parts combined, its really the same song) has been my favorite Symphony X song for many many years

no words can describe how well made that song is

Ah, after listening to Helloween (Keeper albums) and Iron Maiden (all the albums) for a couple of years (I was 14 or something), this band came out of nowhere and fucking floored me with the Intro + Evolution. I had bought the album at random from some music store because it had cool cover art, and this is, I must say, the best fucking way to get music because this is also the same way I got Nightfall in Middle-Earth a couple of years later. Both these albums, together with Slaughter of the Soul and previously mentioned Helloween and Iron Maiden, shaped the foundation of my metal world.

Even Absence of Light, considered by many to be a filler, and maybe it is if that's something that has been stated by the band, is way better any other non-Odyssey song from any other album.
So falls the night, the darkest hour
Seek and find all the secrets left for you
Absence of Light, unbalanced power
Only then will you know

This chorus actually varies throughout the song, but I think it's one of the strongest and most memorable choruses on the album.

If there's one "weak" song on the album, it's A Fool's Paradise. "oeoooh, empire of the sea, lords of technology blah blah".
Maybe it's just easy to forget because after that comes Rediscovery, an extremely worthy song to end the album. The choir at the end is almost comparable to the end of the Odyssey.

My personal favorite is Egypt. You can almost hear that everybody has writing credit for this song. It's so fucking flawless it's better than flawless. It gives more than I expect it to. For example you might think the chorus would end after "Fears in the night flee with the sun - if we are one" the first time around cuz that would be awesome enough, but nooo it goes on with the "Kingdom of gold I lay at your feet"-part and it's really Russell at his best. Or when Lepond starts facerolling his bass at 4:17. I could listen to a loop of that bass all day. But that's not all cuz Romeo starts soloing all over it as well. And of course the song ends with a very tasteful piano part which transcends (lol, V-pun) perfectly into Death of Balance.

And of course we have Communion and the Oracle:
Raise our heads up to the skies
Feel the essence of time
Changing ways like the shifting tides
In the waves hear the rhyme

Not even Summoning could make a part that epic. Or well they could because they did with Farewell, but still.

The only SX-thing I miss on this album is the "wandering key/guitar over drums and bass"-thingy that can be heard on Candlelight Fantasia (5:03) and The Odyssey (20:43). I fuckin love that. They should have replaced A Fool's Paradise with a song only consisting of that thing. Then I wouldn't need another SX album.

V's probably always going to be my favorite SX album. Maybe even my favorite metal album. I'm always surprised that not a lot of people are fans of "A Fool's Paradise" - I think it's just what the album needs at that point. The transition from "Absence of Light" into AFP is just KILLER. The weird rhythm guitar sound on the album only helps the overall vibe, and Russell sings like a fucking beast. I cannot say enough good things about this album, really.

V is a perfect example of an album what grows on you. And when that happens...only seeing the cover of it makes you feel like putting it to your player once again. While many other newer metal albums can put you to sleep, V keeps you excited all the way from start to finish.

Its a great composition, no doubt. It just depends on my mood if its my pick at the time, sometimes its too slow for my mood. I dont feel it pales any of their other recordings.

While you could go to sleep when Iron Maiden is playing, V keeps you excited all the way from start to finish.

... THE FUCK KIND OF METAL FAN ARE YOU!?!?!?

I'm not arguing that V is a great album... easily far and away my favorite symx album. But to say that about maiden (particularly without specifying "no prayer for the dying through blaze era with the addition of dance of death") is just unacceptable on any legitimate metal forum.

</derail> please, back on topic :kickass:

I'm not arguing that V is a great album... easily far and away my favorite symx album. But to say that about maiden (particularly without specifying "no prayer for the dying through blaze era with the addition of dance of death") is just unacceptable on any legitimate metal forum.

I kind of agree with Progbass. Maiden rocks and all, but you can only do a galloping C, D, E or sing along with the riff for so long until it gets boring. Singing directly along with the riff is a style of writing that's only badass when Sabbath does it.
Sorry, sorry, </derail>, back on topic.

Ok, maybe my statement was irrelevant. I changed it to more acceptable form. I don't really have anything against maiden, just never been my cup of tea.

myself I would choose V for sleepy time music due to the softer orchestral arrangments

Thing about Maiden is most people dont realize how much you listen to today stems from the Maiden school of music.

I kind of agree with Progbass. Maiden rocks and all, but you can only do a galloping C, D, E or sing along with the riff for so long until it gets boring. Singing directly along with the riff is a style of writing that's only badass when Sabbath does it.
Sorry, sorry, </derail>, back on topic.

sort of agreed, i'm getting to the point where i'm permanently tired of maiden...after one play of the evil that men do i've had my fill for weeks.

that is of course except the song hallowed be thy name. :worship:

back on topic, i think SX is the only 'symphonic metal' band whose 'symphonic elements' are more than just a gimmick, but actually contribute meaningfully to the music.

The only SX-thing I miss on this album is the "wandering key/guitar over drums and bass"-thingy that can be heard on Candlelight Fantasia (5:03) and The Odyssey (20:43). I fuckin love that.

I don't have those songs on me to check, but I assume you're talking about the parts where Romeo plays clean and uses a delay pedal? If so, yes - it's an amazing sound! It's so liquid-like! The first song I ever heard that had delay was "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" by Dream Theater, and since then, I love anything with delay!

Singing directly along with the riff is a style of writing that's only badass when Sabbath does it.

I disagree. I find it cheesy when anyone does it, but it's the worst with [Ozzy] Sabbath. That's why Dio Sabbath rules all. I agree with the Maiden thing, though - Bruce is too good of a singer to be singing along with the riff. It gets old really quickly.

Since when is Absence of Light considered filler?! The band actually said this? When? Man... I think its one of the better songs on the album (the whole thing is good though). Also, A Fool's Paradise is also one of my favorites. For me, the low point of the album is probably bird serpent war, death of balance and on the breath of posaiden (though the drumming in DOB is sick). I still like these songs but compared to the rest of the album they arnt as good for me.