V Appreciation Thread

Why must you people keep reminding me of how SyX will never make another album in this vein again!?

V was my first SyX album so maybe that makes me biased; however, I don't think that is the reason it is my favorite. As much as I have already listened to it I can still go back to it as not only my favorte SyX album, but probably my favorite album period. I also like the really proggy moments in Twilight. It is not that I don't think their more straight forward power metal stuff is bad, it actually is some of the best of that style out there, it is just that I find it best they stick with a unique style than progress towards a sound that is so very common in metal. V and Twilight are SyX albums that made them my absolute favorite band to begin with, but with albums like Odyssey and Paradise Lost they become just another good band that plays high quality power metal.

Maybe this is what they really want; lots of fans that think they one of many decent bands, instead of a niche following group of fans that think of them as the greatest band out there with a unique style/sound?

For a quick on topic post, i agree a lot with SymXJapan on this one. V was my first album, still my favorite though that's not the reason. Everything just clicked on this one, and ironically i love their metal side more than their prog side, yet this is the proggiest album and my favorite by leaps and bounds. Interesting...

Im a bit handycapped on this because I got my entire libarary of Symphony X From Damnation Game to The New Mythology Suite all within the same month. So I was on a full blown SX diet for months and never made much distinction between albums or songs, they were just playing in the background, one after the other... all with certain songs or passages that stood out. But for whatever reason when I have gone to turn one of my friends on to SX I grab Divine Wings. Maybe because it has more constant "metal" kick, Im not really sure.

Since this topic I have been playing V by itself and remembering the flow of the thing, its simply one continous solid piece of music... well... like a Symphony. I should go back into my feelings that modern progressive bands are doing what classical composers did in their day... that created a HUGE stir when I first came here.... LOL

I have one friend who used to be a big time metalhead that has now mellowed and I made the mistake of lending him Damnation Game figureing he would connect with it best due to its hard edge plus I wanted to keep him in cronological order. It was a mistake, when he brought it back he said it didnt do much for him because it was too harsh (or something like that). I now realize he needs to hear V so hes getting this one soon. V should work better because he did connect with Epica/Black Halo, Wake of Megellan and Fates-Disconnected... the most ironic thing is hes the one that turned me on to Savatage, Queensryche and Fates Warning waaay back. But like others got busy with life/family and didnt follow music so close for much of the 90's and early 00's. Just recently he told me he and his boys are still playing the hell out of 90's Savatage. So yeah... I know they need a good dose of V... Im trying to return old favors ya know

V is a perfect example of an album what grows on you. And when that happens...only seeing the cover of it makes you feel like putting it to your player once again. While many other newer metal albums can put you to sleep, V keeps you excited all the way from start to finish.

SO true! I remember when I bought this album, (I had had it on my computer for a while) even though I knew all the songs and stuff, I kept waiting like "what's next?!" and I know many ppl are like "the story is all "V this and V that" but I actually enjoy the story very much. I wish they'd make an actual concept album again :p

Awesome, awesome. Loved it since I was a child!

http://www.myspace.com/spawnatik
animation.gif

the only shitty thing about V is that it's fucking impossible to air drum to

No it's not! I can air drum anything. I'm really, really good at it. Way better than with real drums.

Death of Balance is pretty tricky tho. To get the timing right and all... Requires some memory.

For me V is tied with Odyssey on my favorite S-X album. I absolutely love the concept prog/epicness of V; it is a perfect album and I love every song from it. I used to not care for A Fool's Paradise until I sat back and 'listened" to it and found it to be an amazing song. Rediscovery is a perfect song to me...especially towards the end starting at 8:54 and on the keyboard background and Allen's vocals with that crazy effect is AMAZING. Gets me fuckin' pumped every time. "Again the Titans clash on the edge of this
earthen plane" OMFG so powerful.

On the other hand I love Odyssey...while V is an all around better album, Odyssey to me has songs that just floor me with their power and amazingness. I am more of a metal/hard rock guy than prog so its only natural Odyssey would appeal more to me, but with songs like Wicked, Awakenings (the breakdown when it gets heavy is amazing), King of Terrors etc... all hit me VERY hard and I find songs like that to be awesome. I believe Odyssey to be the perfect medium in between V and Paradise Lost in heaviness and vocal power...its amazing.

...especially towards the end starting at 8:54 and on the keyboard background and Allen's vocals with that crazy effect is AMAZING. Gets me fuckin' pumped every time. "Again the Titans clash on the edge of this
earthen plane" OMFG so powerful.

Followed by an amazing drum fill and tension building synth of some kind, and ending with a bell hit. Definitely awesome!

I just can say a few words about V: Love it! I mean, i play keyboard so i like pinella's work a lot. And V seems to be done for him. The amount of keyboards on that album, doing some thing or another it's magnificent. And the way one songs leads to another... it's like... water flowing.

I find that I like this album more and more with each listen. In fact, it's the album I most often discover. By that I mean that every time I go back to it I find something new and enjoyable that I never focused on before. This happens with The Odyssey as well, but V is more well-layered.

this :headbang:

I mean, i play keyboard so i like pinella's work a lot. And V seems to be done for him. The amount of keyboards on that album, doing some thing or another it's magnificent.

I think we can all agree that V is Pinnella's strongest work, although I do think a lot of the orchestral parts were probably written by Romeo.

V is a great piece of music, and it bothers me that Symphony X will most likely never sound like this again. I love the way the keyboards are usually at the front of the music, as opposed to the guitar leading the way nowadays. Also, the use of polyrhythms (e.g. the bass and guitar playing a sweet riff while the keyboard plays something over it in a completely different time signature) stands out on this album more than their others. Symphony X are the masters of polyrhythms.

Best comment of the thread.

V has definitely grown on me over the years. While it isn't my fav SX album, I'd say it is their most unique. And even though I definitely prefer The Odyssey to V, V is in so many ways superior to Paradise Lost that it is not even funny.

And I agree with the comment that SX should be doing what they do best(prog) and not try being a very decent power metal band to garner more fans.

Bands are better when they're selfish. C'mon Romeo, let the sleeping proggy giant out of the dungeon please(pun intended). ;)