V: The true connection

Same with america though. Native American culture doesn't interest me in the least (sorry, just not my thing) and since the americans came over, it's just been rather boring overall. European history is badass because they actually have history, egyptian history is also very interesting.

I guess I lucked out cause Acadian history is actually pretty interesting, but I fucking LOVE European history! That's probably the reason why Age of Empires is one of my favorite PC games.

I agree, Australian History is boring. We definately don't have a long time scale to draw on though... I love mythology, but especially Norse and Celtic. All the Viking and Medieval stuff I find fascinating! I like most other European mythology as well, Roman, Greek, Germanic... That's why I did Classical Studies in Yr 12 this year instead of Modern or Australian History...

Hey folks,

The idea of ancient Egypt as the source of mystical knowledge is a myth of the Renaissance that came about through a horrendous mistake dating a series of texts called the Corpus Hermeticum. To put it briefly, a series of Gnostic texts (3rd-4th centuries AD) were mistakenly thought by many scholars in the Renaissance to be of almost unimaginable antiquity. This is the beginning of the false belief that Plato and Moses essentially copied their wisdom from the Egyptians.

There really is no truth to it at all. Sorry to burst your bubble!

For those of you who are interested, I recommend Dame Frances Yates' "Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition."

P.S. Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Reactions: theVikingR
I used to think wikipedia wasn't so accurate but I heard a study on CNN i forget who did it but they were comparing wikipedia to encylopedia britanica and for 100 artiles wikipedia had 4 articles with incorrect info and encylopedia was like 3.2 out of 100 articles had incorrect info and thats the encylopedia britanica pretty alarming let me see if I can find that article.

ok found the exact numbers "That averages out to 2.92 mistakes per article for Britannica and 3.86 for Wikipedia."

found it

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051212/full/438900a.html

Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica | CNET News.com

I know its just one study but pretty interesting results.

SCAN PICS! I want to see scans of your graduate degrees, driver's license, birth cert, and anything else that will identify you. Preferably an ID that says "Bill Roberts (or whatever your name is) aka "Wounded land". Then i might believe this.

Or, you can not worry about what some asshole on teh interweb thinks and ignore me completely. That'd probably work out best for everyone.

Well i've noticed that you are talking about history. Well i know nearly nothing about history but let me tell you this. Human history is so short that it is not even a blink of eye in the history of the universe, and even in the history of the Earth itself. You'd be surprised if you knew how many times Europe was frozen all over and then melted to be a land of wealth with rain forests and animals of all kind, over and over. Don't narrow your perspective :)

i just love how that dude/chick never seems to have even posted on this forum before except all of a sudden now to poke their nose condescendingly into this discussion.. they'll be gone again soon enough..

Progmetalpilgrim is totally the noob of the year, I've never seen a new person suddenly start fitting in with the rest so fast. I think he's quite cool, and keeps the forum going with his frequent posts.

Not only that, but we actually pay attention to him. :lol: Most of the time, people don't pay attention to n00bs.

^ Thanks man, your kind words are appreciated... :) I couldn't believe what I had been missing when I stumbled across this fountain of wisdom and discussion that is the Symphony X forum. :lol: I'd never even been on a forum, and now I'm never off... :erk: Oh well, it's good fun, seeing as that I can't discuss this kind of music with anyone who I actually know...

P.S. rep would've been given MrFast, but it said I had to spread it 'round first... :p