The Greatest Actor Ever...?

William Holden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is going back a bit, but for those familiar with his work he was definitely ahead of his time. He conveyed much more of a sense of realism and cynicism than the majority of the pretentious stars of the 1950's. And IMO he is the most charismatic actor I have ever seen. It's too bad he didn't live longer.

Richard Burton and Peter Sellers. I cant really pick from the two. Sellers became his characters, could be extremely funny, sad, affecting. And Burton just commanded the screen: with his voice, his presence, his lurking vitality and violence. But he turned out some real stinkers for drinking money later in his life.

WIlliam Holden was in some very good roles and movies, but as an actor, I dont think he had alot of range--as he played this same cynical character in almost all of them.

What about actress? I think its much much harder. They usually have cliched roles, terrible lines, and are chosen for their beauty or likeability over their talent. I'd have to say the early actresses like Bette Davis, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, to be the best. And Gloria Swanson was excellent in Sunset Blvd with Holden. But i cant really say Im a big fan of many contemporary female actresses.

I only know the more recent actors, I have 3 to name:

1. Antony Hopkins: we all know him as Hannibal the Cannibal but he also plays other movies like Titus and Guilty Conscience.

2. Morgan Freeman: best black actor, we know him from diffrent movies like Se7en

3. Jan Declair: a Belgian actor who can do very serious roles, I've seen him in quite some films and his acting is always superior to all other actors in that film.

EDIT: I don't know too many actresses that can play like these 3 males, maybe Maryl Streep?

Anthony Hopkins is a classic overactor. Annoying as hell.

Jonny Depp ftw. He's extremely versatile, and he generally picks good roles.

Claude Raines.. One of the greatest actors in history.
Spencer Tracy.. Set the standard for acting that bogart and others followed.
Sidny Portier. A bette actor who was balck.
Jimmy Stewert, John Barrymore. So many to mention. somany greats.
As far as women, Veronica lake, Betty Davis, Joan Crawford.
on and on and on.

Why is overacting annoying as hell? Surely that's a no-brainer. It's unnecessary, it diverts attention from the story and it makes the character less believable.

Although, almost every great actor, does overact. You listed Johnny Depp as a great actor. Well Johnny Depp overacts quite a bit as well (that schlock called Pirates, features some of the most over-the-top overacting by Depp, ever put on screen); its only he's usually able to get away with it in the eccentric movies and roles he takes on. I think this is the case with all great actors, and its only when they overact in roles that dont call for overacting, or when it becomes glaringly obvious (like for example, every movie Al Pacino's done since Godfather II and Dog Day Afternoon) that overacting becomes a problem. For instance, Anthony Hopkin's overacting in Silence of the Lambs was brilliant and necessary--it fit the film--where his overacting in Hannibal, and most of the movies he's done lately, doesnt fit the movie, and has become a parody and almost camp.

But, let us remember, its only acting. And acting should be secondary to the story, direction and cinematography; it should be the icing on the cake if you will. But I suppose Hollywood learned early on that celebrity sells movies more than talent, story, and creativity. If it was the other way around, Fellini, Bergman, Kubrick etc, would be the true celebrities and have the highest grossing movies. But we all know this is not the case.

Although, almost every great actor, does overact. You listed Johnny Depp as a great actor. Well Johnny Depp overacts quite a bit as well (that schlock called Pirates, features some of the most over-the-top overacting by Depp, ever put on screen); its only he's usually able to get away with it in the eccentric movies and roles he takes on. I think this is the case with all great actors, and its only when they overact in roles that dont call for overacting, or when it becomes glaringly obvious (like for example, every movie Al Pacino's done since Godfather II and Dog Day Afternoon) that overacting becomes a problem. For instance, Anthony Hopkin's overacting in Silence of the Lambs was brilliant and necessary--it fit the film--where his overacting in Hannibal, and most of the movies he's done lately, doesnt fit the movie, and has become a parody and almost camp.

I haven't seen Pirates of the Carribbean but yes it looks quite bad. He was bound to do a Hollywood money-maker sooner or later.

I think Anthony Hopkins generally overacts, whether the role calls for it or not, it's his style of acting. This makes him extremely one dimensional in my eyes, and therefore nowhere near the greatest actor ever. I think the best actors are versatile, and Johnny Depp definately falls into that category.

I haven't seen Pirates of the Carribbean but yes it looks quite bad. He was bound to do a Hollywood money-maker sooner or later.

I think Anthony Hopkins generally overacts, whether the role calls for it or not, it's his style of acting. This makes him extremely one dimensional in my eyes, and therefore nowhere near the greatest actor ever. I think the best actors are versatile, and Johnny Depp definately falls into that category.

It is a strange dillemma: to be a great actor, one must overact and get away with it.

I think it has alot to do with the difference between the stage and film: stage requires what in film would be overacting; film requires what in stage, would be incredibly dull and boring acting. Just some observations.

In The Remains of the Day, Hopkins doesnt overact. But yes, in general it is his style, no matter what the part.

I agree with Speed here, sometimes it is nessacairy to "over-act". Emotions come out way better that way and in comedy films (altough Hopkinds doesn't do any) it is required for the movie to be funny.

I think that Hopkins set his role with such great acting that some might think it's overacting but that's just my opinion

i dunno who the greatest is, but i likes these.

billy bob thornton.
sissy spacek.
bruce campbell.
linda hamilton.
malcolm macdowell.
the entire cast of starship troopers.

It is a strange dillemma: to be a great actor, one must overact and get away with it.

I think that getting away with it isn't that big a dilemma, it's just about knowing when to overact, when a part requires it.

I think it has alot to do with the difference between the stage and film: stage requires what in film would be overacting; film requires what in stage, would be incredibly dull and boring acting. Just some observations.

I agree with your observations, but I don't see how they have a lot to do with the dilemma. If an actor is truly great, they will know the difference and act accordingly.

A Lot of interesting stuff covered about other actors, but not too many thoughts on William Holden? Where's the love for Bill?!

Maybe he wasn't THE best, but I think that he was very good in a lot of movies and just sort of there in a few more. He did have quite a bit of acknowledgement while he was going strong. Unfortunately, the booze got in the way and really hindered his career (and life).

He was a great one, in my book anyways.

I'm fond of Clive Owen and Christian Bale, as contemporary actors. Actresses...uh, none spring to mind as being oustanding.

I agree with your observations, but I don't see how they have a lot to do with the dilemma. If an actor is truly great, they will know the difference and act accordingly.

I guess I was referring to Hopkins, who was a great stage actor. I suppose Im referring to all the stage actors who then do movies as well.

I guess I was referring to Hopkins, who was a great stage actor. I suppose Im referring to all the stage actors who then do movies as well.

Ah, ok yeah fair enough.

As far as actresses go, Cate Blanchett springs to mind.