Velvet Cacoon

Nov 23, 2002
Well, in the words of Whitney, the dieselharp is really a hype machine. It's one of our many stories we used to toy with the black metal scene because we knew it would work. It's just a big inside joke to us all. Anytime we see a glowing review for Velvet Cacoon we just chalk it up to another string on the dieselharp. The dieselharp is like CNN for black metal, it's the newspaper you get up and read each morning. It's the metaphor for our 365 day voyage from "who is VC?" to "Shut the fuck up about VC". It was a marketing ploy to prove we could fist fuck a dead scene full of idiots. It's not that we hate the people, it's that we find the message of black metal to be worse than Christianity and we wanted to mock every ounce of this community. Of course, this only relates to the interviews and shit we did where we gloated about the ecofascist dieselharp playing nonsense. The mood of "Genevieve" and the drug use, I can assure you, was and is very authentic. In a way we were playing characters of ourselves... some of the authentic parts of ourselves, and other parts were pure fabrications.

http://www.velvetcacoon.com/elskrin_interview_english.html

Pretty fucking hilarious. He also makes some good points about the juvenility of Black Metal in general.

However, he also exposes the juvenility of Velvet Cacoon itself. Making up some bullshit about inventing a fucking petrol powered aquarium is mildly funny when people buy into the hype, but those of us who thought VC were fairly shit/mediocre in the first place can now feel free to forget about them entirely.

This isn't the only joke that has been played on the so called 'extreme' metal scene. There has been so many things like this it is even getting old to those who never took it seriously in the first place. I say if you like the music than this kind of thing will not change your mind. Kind of a waste of time to do a project like this.

Especially in the past years there has been many romors about Velvet Cacoon. Some of them was even about your supposed non-existance, others said you were gnomes and so on. Why have you been never interested to discredit these rumors choosing instead to stay in the background? I suppose your point of view about this matter changed after “Genevieve” release…or am I wrong?

We were too busy sitting back and laughing. Honestly, what is there to discredit? Some kids on the internet say something and we are supposed to do damage control? That's not how we looked at it. My name isn't SGL. My name is Josh. During the day I ride my bicycle through Portland, occasionally stopping at bars for a Fat Tire or to a market to buy some fruit. By night I'm drinking wine, smoking cloves and doing whatever drugs I've come across that day. I'm not blowing up logging trucks and meat packing plants. I'm actually a very nice and peaceful person, the complete opposite of what most people would expect. I have short hair, a big beard, and I love Billie Holiday. Essentially, I'm every image obsessed black metaller's worst nightmare come true... and they already paid me my 15 bucks.

:lol:

"Essentially, I'm every image obsessed black metaller's worst nightmare come true... and they already paid me my 15 bucks." That right there sums up the entirety of not only this situation, but the majority of Black Metal.

Saw this on another board...absolutely great. I loved Genevieve, and I still think it's pretty fucking quality, but it doesn't stand multiple listens after the first few. They're even better for just coming out of the closet on this one...great stuff.