Video Games

Aug 14, 2008
Anyone on here play video games? I'm a gamer and so are the Skyfire guys. Here's what I've played recently/am looking forward to:

Resident Evil 5

Infamous

Looking Forward to:

White Knight Chronicles

FF 13 (and the other 2 FF 13 spin off games)

God Of War 3

The Last Guardian

I regret to say that I routinely go gay for RPG's. I've been playing Mass Effect for the past week or so, and before that it was Indigo Prophecy. I've always been a fan of Counterstrike, but prehaps my interest in it has waned some - and I like some strange, out on a limb games like Darwinia and On The Rain-Slicked Precipice of Darkness.

My favorite videogame of all time is still Mechwarrior 2, though.

Well, I don't think I can leave this thread untouched.

Most recently I actually downloaded all 3 Donkey Kong Country games on the Wii with some recently pilfered Wii points courtesy of Walmart.
I have been worshipping those for the past week. :cool:

Before that:

Resident Evil 5 - Could be one of my favorite games ever.

Fallout 3

Looking forward to:

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - The only reason to own a PSP is this game series.

God Of War 3 - One of my favorite series, this game should be more than amazing.

FF 13 - Been a massive fan of these games since 7.

I also believe a new Legend Of Zelda game is coming out next year.

Well, I don't think I can leave this thread untouched.

Most recently I actually downloaded all 3 Donkey Kong Country games on the Wii with some recently pilfered Wii points courtesy of Walmart.
I have been worshipping those for the past week. :cool:

Before that:

Resident Evil 5 - Could be one of my favorite games ever.

Fallout 3

Looking forward to:

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - The only reason to own a PSP is this game series.

God Of War 3 - One of my favorite series, this game should be more than amazing.

FF 13 - Been a massive fan of these games since 7.

I also believe a new Legend Of Zelda game is coming out next year.

If you own a PSP, let me suggest a little RPG called PoPoLoCrois. Combat is similar to Final Fantasy tactics. Great story, great characters. It's actually a PS1 port of 2 games in one. REALLY underrated.

Also I thought Resident Evil 5 was absolutely awful... =/

If this doesn't give you a boner, then sell your shit now.

Best theme song since fucking Chrono Cross!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good god I can't NOT post in this thread.

Recently played:

Resident Evil 5
Fallout 3 (and all the money guzzling expansions)
Gears of War 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Dead Space
Left 4 Dead

Looking forward to:

Final Fantasy XIII
Half Life 2 Ep 3
Overlord 2 (yay for tomorrow)
Castlevania: Lords of Darkness (or whatever it's called. they announced it at E3)

I've been hopelessly drawn to RPGs since I was like 6 (started with Super Mario RPG, went on to play all FFs, Phantasy Stars, Star Oceans, Suikodens, etc). In high school I got really into competitive FPSs, mainly with Halo 2. Now I just like to slay shit and play the occasional quality RPG when they come around. Last good RPG I gamed on was Lost Odyssey, but Overlord 2 comes out tomorrow. While it's not a JRPG by any means, it's action oriented and you control little rabid monsters that rape and pillage. Way metal.

Hit me up if you guys have a 360. GT: o0GoatSlayer0o (o's are letter o's, 0's are zeros)

I played Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I had much higher hopes for both, really disappointed in Mistwalker. Dead Space was pretty fucking awesome.

Overall I feel like games these days are sucking pretty bad because they focus more on the multiplayer element and less on good story/gameplay. I actually dug the first 2 Halo games, but Halo 3 was such a piece of shit that I now detest the series. It literally feels like devs are scrapping together games super fast for all the keystone drinking brofags so they can make their millions/billions without caring about making a good game. There have been a few exceptions, like Dead Space and GTA4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 and Devil May Cry 4 (UGH TOO MANY SEQUELS... COME UP WITH ORIGINAL IPS YOU DICKHEAD DEVELOPERS), but I'm just sick and tired of these shitty games marketed to knuckledragging morons who just want to blow shit up with their friends.

But I still have my hopes up. Martin you better get on here and throw down your video game taste ASAP.

Oh and Don, Super Mario RPG is arguably one of the top 5 games ever made. ^^

Dude I don't know how anyone who calls himself a gamer could like RE5. It was a decent game, but after the masterpiece that was RE4, RE5 seemed like a piece of shit... Too much multiplayer emphasis, WAYY too short, story with tons of holes and no real development and "twist" that anyone could see coming a mile away, and the worst offense of all is that they basically took everything that made Resident Evil "Resident Evil" away. No puzzles, way too linear to be Resident Evil, the "realtime" menu system was retarded and took away all of the strategy element from the previous games... I don't know... I wanted my money back lol. Sry bro. :(

SMRPG Top 5 = True Statement. Mine would go like this:

1) FF 3/6
2) Chrono Trigger
3) FF 7
4) SMRPG
5) Lunar: SSS (don't ask)

that is... if we are talking old school RPGs strictly (not FFVII though. game was just too man-handlin not to include).

I think RE5 is a fine game. I can see where you're coming from though, because it's not really Resident Evil. I've played 'em all and this installment was more tied to Gears of War than it was to anything RE. That being said, Gears of War was amazing in its own right, despite the "broski" following of countless inadequate n00b tools. I think games are more geared towards multiplayer nowadays just given the interactivity of the new generation of systems. Damn I miss the PS1 days where epic adventure after epic adventure would crawl into my lap like a brazilian hooker, but it's refreshing to beat the shit out of 13 year olds online and teabag them too. It's all about preference nowadays, and the industry thinks the old nerd audience of FF fanboys and Dragon Warrior followers is dead. It's not, but gaming is a profitable industry.

There are still some quality titles to come out though. I think of it like a terrible music industry analogy. People who are into what they play and everything behind the game enjoy titles like "Skyfire - Esoteric", or "Gojira - The Way of All Flesh", though the real money is at shitty ass GTA clones like Lil Faggot and whatever else piece of shit decides to try to make coherent sentences about pussy and pistols, though the attempt is laughable at best.

I think the industry's direction is OK though. I enjoy games like Halo 3 not for the piss-poor fuckin story, but for the universal silent pact that it is the benchmark for FPS skill. Then again, where the fuck is the third Chrono game?

There probably won't be a third Chrono game since Uematsu left Square (which is apparently in serious financial trouble and this makes me very scared for the future of games) and formed Mistwalker. Apparently Blue Dragon was originally supposed to be the third Chrono game but they just ended up calling it Blue Dragon and gave it its own universe. That game was solid and had some reaaaally cool moments (and had a much cooler twist than fucking RE5... jesus christ...) but it did NOT live up to the hype.

I do agree with you almost entirely about the bad things in RE5, I couldn't stand the realtime menu system bullshit at first, or the Gears Of War inspired view. And you couldn't be more right about the 'twist' it was given away practically at the start of the freakin game....I don't think it was much shorter than RE4 though.
BUT after you get used to all of these downgrades if you will, and switch the controls to the RE4 style option, it gets to be a very addictive game and I had a shit ton of fun playing it.

I have't actually enjoyed an FPS in years, I really cannot seem to get into any of them. Halo 2 and 3 aren't too bad for online play I guess.

I played the original Chrono Trigger on an emulator, it was pretty great.. I never did get into Chrono Cross though, I played a couple of hours and gave it up, I am not really sure why. The last RPG I REALLY got into was FF12, I didn't really enjoy the fight sequence style at first, after I got use to that the game really grew on me. ( I'm sure Aeonic hates it) :lol:

FFXII was beastly. I remember making my Freakish Ultra Crazy Killers Unit (FUCK U) which consisted of Basch, Vaan, and whoever else. Basch and Vaan would be computer controlled on beserk, protect, and uber physical boosters, then I would just sit back, heal occasionaly, and watch them eradicate the pathetic creatures of Vana'diel

Shadow, the last FF game I ever played was 9 lol.

I missed out on 10; which was supposed to be all around awesome, and 12; which I heard mixed reviews. Will buy 13 for sure, looks fucking amazing. I started Prototype last night (rented it from Blockbuster). The gameplay itself is solid. The controls feel a bit TOO responsive but it's something I'll get used to, and the feeling of running up buildings and jumping over them in NYC without any load times is reaaaaallly fuuuuuuuun. The story so far, as well as the voice acting is super weak.

Haha, Sorry I took you for an avid FF fan... And though it wasn't a drastic change in the fighting sequence it was a lot different from the previous games I assumed you wouldn't like that.

With that said, I would strongly recommend checking out 10 and 12 though.. they are both fantastic. 10 has one of the coolest soundtracks around and a very interesting storyline, 12 I think is my second favorite FF overall... I think I might have to play both of them through now after talking about them on here :lol:

Grab 'em used at a game store for 10 bucks each.:cool:

I'm a fan. I've played through 7, 8, and 9. I'd say that's enough to make me a fan. I just never owned a PS2 (Gamecube and original Xbox). I missed out on a lot of great games I know.

Just beat Prototype. That game got REAAAALLY hard towards the end, almost cheap at times, but overall I liked the challenge. I'd say besides the awful story/voice acting my main gripe is the controls. The little wheel from which you select your abilities sucks big fat hairy donkey balls. I can't tell you the number of times I was in the middle of a fight, selected a specific power, and got something else. What the fuck?! Also movement is very loose which means it's easy and fun to hop around NYC but tight scenarios are a pain in the ass. I give Prototype a 7/10 I guess.

I just beat Mass Effect.

In return, it masturbated me for 12 straight hours. Ugggghh, wonderful game. Can't wait for the second one to come out. Good gameplay, story, music, graphics - the whole package. It's pretty easy to get caught up in.

When your only complaint is "I wish it had been longer" then you know they did a good job.