Vintersorg: What's the verdict?

Demonspell said:
Didn't know it was due out soon, looking forward to it, does the material continue in the progressive direction of Visions?
Very much so. I can hear the complaints already. ;)

It sounds just like Vintersorg of late. With blasting black metal parts, acoustic guitars, keyboards and every vocal style you could imagine. There's even lots of spoken word and some quick King D-type falsetto bursts. Though the songs I find the most compelling (the ones listed) tend to be more straightforward, with mostly his folky, clean vocal style.

Plus the rhythm section kicks all the ass you would expect them to. (Mickelson/DiGiorgio)

ScottG said:
Though the songs I find the most compelling (the ones listed) tend to be more straightforward, with mostly his folky, clean vocal style.
I wish their were more Vintersorg records where this was all he did. (I'm still wary about getting any Otyg since it received such a love/hate reaction).

The best parts of Empiricism were when Vintersorg sang cleanly IMO.

sorry for the resurrection. I have a question:

Are the first 3 Vintersorg releases anything like Cosmic Genesis? I didn't like Cosmic Genesis too much, except for a few songs. And I don't like the spacey theme either. I've heard all previous albums were more folky, but I didn't hear barely any folky stuff on CG.

So, if I didn't like CG, does this mean I won't like the first three?

you might like them. they are not spacey themed instead more nature themed but all sung in Swedish if i'm not mistaken, Except maybe Odemarken's Son which might have a few English tracks (don't remember it's been a while). I do remember liking Till Fjalls a bit a while ago. And as for Vintersorg bands/projects, my fave would have to be Havayoth. I absolutely love that shit. He's good in Borknagar as well but give me Simen over Garm or Vintersorg any day.

I don't mind Vintersorg's vocals, but COsmic Genesis was just boring to me overall. The songs were uninteresting. Are the folk elements a big part of his early sound, or is it only a few moments in each song?

i'd say there is a more folky influence more so in the cadence of his vocal delivery and in terms of song structure. more simplified than CG and anything there after. just my observation *shrug* D/L the song Till Fjalls, Rundans or Asatider and you'll see what i mean i think...

Edit: idiot me

I just listened to some samples. His voice in Swedish is annoying. If I lived in Sweden, I'd avoid the guy so I wouldn't have to hear him talk.

He tends to sound all over-dramatic on the first couple of albums. I don't really care, the first EP is great. That's about all the Vintersorg I need though, because the next two albums are virtually just more of the same.

If you think he sounds overdramatic on the previous albums, I'd avoid the new one...what was he thinking with the narration? Even though it doesn't last any longer than thrity seconds on any of the songs, I still have to drop at least a point for it.

I'm thinking about picking up "The Focusing Blur." Is it a lot like Cosmic Genesis? Besides that one, I've got Till Fjalls and Odemarkens Son and they are both good but I prefer CG. Anyway, it'll be awhile before I can pick it up but I might as well add it to my list if I'm gonna like it.

spaffe said:
he speaks/sings with norrland accent, that may be it ;)
Which is, of course, the most beautiful accent (though it's really wrong to lump all norrländska accents into one since they're hugely different.) But that aside, he really overdramatizes things.

Erik said:
Which is, of course, the most beautiful accent (though it's really wrong to lump all norrländska accents into one since they're hugely different.) But that aside, he really overdramatizes things.

Heh, on the new one, it's not so much the singing that makes the whole thing feel overdramatized but rather the lyrics. They do kind of fit in with the crazy sound, but just reading them without the music made me question Vintersorg's sanity...

Still, the new album is great. Much better than visions, if you ask me.

J. said:
I don't mind Vintersorg's vocals, but COsmic Genesis was just boring to me overall. The songs were uninteresting.

boy, I was wrong. Cosmic Genesis and Odemarkens Son are wondrous

Yay! J. has good taste. Those two are probably his best albums. I still think Cosmic Genesis is my favorite, but all the other stuff is fanawesome as well. The EP and first three albums are very earthy and the last two are spacey as fekk. I actually love The Focusing Blur. It's completely absurd, but it's quite original. This thread made me listen to "Curtains" and what a cool song that is. The last half of that album is completely mesmerizing.

Cosmic Genesis is his most "normal" album and I think it contains his best vocal performances. "Astral and Arcane" is one of the best songs ever and who can dislike "Rainbow Demon" or "The Enigmatic Spirit"?

Bah, fuck it, I like everything Vintersorg has done, so I'm just going to shut up and I'm not really going to pick a favorite.:p