Virginia shooting

Now that this discussion has been shot to the ground (no pun intended), what does everyone think about Shirley Phelps protesting the memorial for the 32 innocent victims? :rolleyes:
I'll give the benefit of the doubt to LOTS on this one and say that the chances of her being murdered with a legally owned firearm are rather high.

brilliant, stop with the fucking semantics already

From what I heard he just went into the store and bought it, all they did was a background check in the criminal register, and that was all that was needed.

and that's why some states need stricter laws. each state is different. I'm not sure what the laws are in Virginia, but the more southern the state is, the easier it is to get a handgun

Virginia gun laws:

Secondary Sales
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales?
No

Waiting Period
Is there a waiting period on gun sales?
No

there we have it.

it would be why the killings happened so easily. every state should have a strict policy. the NJ one is just dandy. the New York gun laws are even more strict. nation-wide gun laws will never happen with so many voting Republicans, though.

even more proof that Virginia's law makers are dumb. there's also no waiting period or license required for the guns. if Virginia had laws for those things like the smarter states, it wouldn't have happened

since there are security cameras in gun stores (for obvious reasons), they should release the tape of the kid's background check.

"Were you born?"
"Do you have fingers and eyes?"
"Good. happy shooting!"

since there are security cameras in gun stores (for obvious reasons), they should release the tape of the kid's background check.

"Were you born?"
"Do you have fingers and eyes?"
"Good. happy shooting!"

The Federal Government needs do get some work done, then. Regardless of what State Legislators say, there is almost NO argument for not supporting stringent gun laws.

edit: Having spent 10 minutes browsing Myspace pages for (would be) Presidential candidates, I'm pretty appalled at the Conservative rhetoric being employed. The few I checked support the redefining of Marriage (in every legal and moral sense) as a union between one man and one woman, and in that combination only. They want it to become Federal law. Another one that bothered me is the complete criminalisation of abortion - regardless of circumstance, again with the intent that such a motion become Federal law.

Ironically, they all purport to support Freedom and Democracy. It's a worrying time to be an American with any hopes for a life not dictated by scared and narrow-minded conservative politicians. Land of the Free, indeed.

Also, testing the waters - would any of you support going back to the Twin-President system?

RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Tech senior Cho Seung-Hui walked into a Roanoke gun shop five weeks ago, put down a credit card and walked out with a Glock 19 handgun and a box of ammunition. He paid $571.

The Glock was one of two guns found with Cho’s fingerprints after he fatally shot 32 people and then himself at the university in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

Roanoke Firearms owner John Markell said his shop sold the Glock to Cho in March. The serial number had been scratched off, but federal agents traced it to the store using a receipt found in Cho’s backpack.

“It was a very unremarkable sale,” said Markell, who did not handle the sale personally. “He was a nice, clean-cut college kid. We won’t sell a gun if we have any idea at all that a purchase is suspicious.”

Markell said it’s not unusual for college students to make purchases at his shop as long as they are old enough.

Cho held a green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent resident, according to federal officials. That meant he was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of a felony.

“To find out the gun came from my shop is just terrible,” Markell said.

'Easy access to high firepower weapons'
Authorities also found a Walther .22-caliber handgun in Cho’s possession, according to a search warrant filed in Montgomery County.

Virginia State Police Superintendent Col. W. Steven Flaherty said Tuesday afternoon that both guns were purchased legally in Virginia.

Because he killed and injured so many victims in a short span of time, some people speculated that Cho used high-capacity magazines containing as many as 33 rounds in each clip.

Under the federal assault-weapons ban enacted in 1994, magazines were limited to 10 rounds. But that ban was allowed to expire in 2004.

“The key thing that we have seen in all of these school shootings is easy access to high firepower weapons,” said Daniel Vice, an attorney with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “These killings can’t be done with baseball bats and knives.”

Under Virginia law, state police keep records of gun purchases from licensed dealers for only 30 days. After that, police destroy the records

There's probably many "red flags" and factors that could
have kept him from getting a gun. I bet Mr. English major
couldn't get into Engineering and targeted them.

Stupid Sh*t and a waste of some good folks. :(

I think that no matter what, if someone wants badly enough to murder a bunch of people, he's going to find a gun to get the job done regardless of the laws in any state.

Had he not been able to buy the gun himself to accomplish his goal, he would have just acquired it another way.

I'm sure after this massacre there will be some sort of change in gun laws. No doubt about it.

Plus an investigation is being held over why the police did what they did after the first shooting.

The Federal Government needs do get some work done, then. Regardless of what State Legislators say, there is almost NO argument for not supporting stringent gun laws.

edit: Having spent 10 minutes browsing Myspace pages for (would be) Presidential candidates, I'm pretty appalled at the Conservative rhetoric being employed. The few I checked support the redefining of Marriage (in every legal and moral sense) as a union between one man and one woman, and in that combination only. They want it to become Federal law. Another one that bothered me is the complete criminalisation of abortion - regardless of circumstance, again with the intent that such a motion become Federal law.

Ironically, they all purport to support Freedom and Democracy. It's a worrying time to be an American with any hopes for a life not dictated by scared and narrow-minded conservative politicians. Land of the Free, indeed.

Also, testing the waters - would any of you support going back to the Twin-President system?

Indeed, browsing Facebook groups is similar. Some of the ideas people express there are downright primitive.