VIRUS!!!

Firefest9 said:
dude, settle down! I know peter was influenced by floridian death metal in the early days, but he has definately departed from those roots alot in the past 6 years or so. Christ, he lived with those guys in florida in the early 90's. I haven't herd a riff like that one on bloodrenched so corpse influenced since abducted. Corpse toured with Hypocrisy in early 04 and thats why i thought maybe peter got the brutal death metal bug in him again to write a riff like that-nothing else man.

That's a fair enough point I suppose, I was certainly happy to see him record Nightmares Made Flesh with Bloodbath, and had hoped to no end that his experience doing old school death metal again would have SOME bearing on the new album....

dsoul said:
and there was not one single song on that entire album worth hearing twice, or even once for that matter.

I dunno, 'all turns black' is one of my favourite songs of theirs.

if you perfer their old death metal stuff to the newer melo-death that's sweet as, personally that's not what I like them for most tho. But at least virus wont leave you dissappointed with songs like warpath and blooddrenched :)

dsoul said:
Deathrow (No regrets) as one song by itself is better than both Catch 22 and The Arrival albums combined...

word

personally I don't judge bands by 'albums' tho anyway - that would be like juding you (anyone) by how you acted when you were 12, or 16, or any single point in time, when as a whole you're probably pretty decent :)

and a big fuck you to anyone who forgot FIRE IN THE SKY from into the abyss

one of their fuckin top 5 songs

cadaver said:
worst hypocrisy album is "into the abyss".

Why???

Legions Decend!!!
Blinded
Ressurected
Fire in the Sky!!!
Unfold the Sorrow
Deathrow!!!

All killer-songs!!!
And the other ones are "just" good IMO

Catch 22 is also a good record. I really like All Turns Black and also Destroyed and Turn the Page and Seeds of the Chosen One and and and... Cool album.

Catch 22 had about as much aggression as a catholic nun and lyrics and song titles that sound like they were written by a pissed off 16 year old who's mom told them they couldn't stay out late.

I think the Catch 22 lyrics are far better then those from Penetralia and OO and also better then most of the Hypocrisy lyrics.

And of course i like Virus!! It's a great album from the beginning until the end :headbang:

My favourites so far:

Intro + Warpath
Scrutinized
Fearless
A Thousand Lies
Compulsive Psychosis
Living to die

And then the other ones. Every song rules!!

I like Virus a lot like i said before. they are getting better again:)
i've never owned catch22 because when i listened it it sounded too nu-metal and i think nu-metal is the worst metal. but into the abyss, like Seditious said: HOW CAN YOU FORGET FIRE IN THE SKY not to mention deathrow and resurrected, legion descend, unfold the sorrow and digital prophecy and infact all the other songs cause its one of their best cd's. but this thread is about VIRUS and that is awesome with strong songs and i listen it with the repeat button!

ah fuck it

HYPOCRISY OWNZ

from the first to the last drop

ok Peter tried some stuff on CATCH 22 that wasnt really what the fans were looking for, including myself, but still, Catch 22 is FAR FROM BEING a shit out of an arse

take only the 3 last songs : Another dead end, Seeds of the chosen one and All turns black, these are FUCKING A

the rest of the album was not excellent, but still I enjoy it

as for INTO THE ABYSS, I think this album suffered from the fact that it was a follow up to the SELF TITLES album, which was a masterpiece. I mean Hypocrisy were on a roll since at least the 4th dimension. Into the abyss was something else, more back to the roots type of death, with not enough of these intoxicating songs like Deathroes. Still its a good album

The arrival...thats a good album too, maybe lacking somthing tho...it only has 9 songs, fairly short...felt like it was lacking one song, an epic one OR a blast-your-ass one, even then I think it was great, and THE DEPARTURE is one of their best songs ever, and some others are really worthy of mentioning

Im sick of peeps dissing Hypocrisy right on this board. I mean fuck off, if you took the time to come and visit a forum about Hypocrisy man either you LIKE IT OR GET A FUCKING LIFE :)

oh and btw for those who havent heard virus yet, no worries, it raises the standar qualities to a bran new level of excellence :headbang:

I always liked The Arrival. From Eraser, to Stillborn, to Dead Sky Dawning, to the Abyss, to War Within, that album kept me fucking more than entertained. I thought it was a solid album. Catch 22 was a good album, but it was very different from the rest of their albums... both writing and production-wise. the tones were a little different from usual... seemed like he was trying something new, but the album still had bad ass songs on it.
I am also kind of tired of people saying that they are huge fans of such and such band and then pick apart every fucking song and talk about how shitty they are... I think Peter does a bad ass job doing what he does... and I think anyone that hasn't heard Virus will fucking love it.

Evil_Invader said:
I always liked The Arrival. From Eraser, to Stillborn, to Dead Sky Dawning, to the Abyss, to War Within, that album kept me fucking more than entertained. I thought it was a solid album. Catch 22 was a good album, but it was very different from the rest of their albums... both writing and production-wise. the tones were a little different from usual... seemed like he was trying something new, but the album still had bad ass songs on it.
I am also kind of tired of people saying that they are huge fans of such and such band and then pick apart every fucking song and talk about how shitty they are... I think Peter does a bad ass job doing what he does... and I think anyone that hasn't heard Virus will fucking love it.

no doubt man

the dude loves to make music - who wouldn't want to try some variations in decade old 'styles' and formulas that constititute a particular 'genre'

I don't see why a fan would even expect they'd like 'every' song from a band - you don't like every picture of a model, or every painting of a painter, or every movie an actor is in, or every book a writer has written - why expect generic perfection from a band?

if you only like one 'kind of song' that a band does - then just don't listen to the rest - go find other bands of that genre, there's no reason to hate on a band for being creative.

Ok...the arrival kick ass....so does Virus...so does Hypocrisy ( the album ) so does Into the abyss...and I admitt that Arntor fuckon rulez..its been for such a long time my favorite album and still is ( by the way..the name of the band is Windir and in that time it was one single guy that did it all called Valfar that is dead now )...but damn.....why does metal have to be always aggresive? I'm reading this guy in this post complaining cause catch 22 is not aggresif enough.....EMOTION do you know that word? I mean...I respect opionions and all...but its really lame of you to talk of an album like that...try composing something like that ad beying bitch after like your doing...see how you take it

Dark idea said:
I'm reading this guy in this post complaining cause catch 22 is not aggresif enough.....EMOTION do you know that word?t
I certainly do know the word, but if you think there is any of it on Catch 22 you are sadly mistaken. I said Catch 22 wasn't agressive enough, because it was supposed to be an agressive album, but agressive in the nu-metal sense which is retarded agressive. It doesn't have to be Penetralia or Osculum Obscenum agressive Hypocrisy for me to like it, the self titled album has my favorite Hypocrisy song of all time on it "Paled Empty Sphere", and that is not death metal at all. But you can not look at me, or anyone else, with a straight face and a serious tone in your voice, and tell me Catch 22 with songs with titles like "don't judge me" and "a public puppet" or "turn the page" had any emotion at all. I mean the song titles alone sound like someone tried to combine Rage against the Machine and Slipknot in a nice little Hypocrisy package and sell it "hey man, this is some real dope shit" to a 14 year old who just bought their first Mudvayne album.

Paled Empty Sphere has emotion, Deathrow has emotion, the Final Chapter has emotion, Catch 22 has nothing.

Hm, ok. Hypocrisy does, what they want to do...and i respect that, but i really loved their old kinda songs, like "apocalypse", "a coming race" and "the arrival of the demons (partII)". i really miss songs like 'em on their last cd's...when i hear the name hypocrisy it's always these songs and their atmosphere which comes to my mind.
all changed with that selftitled album. i really hate it...like "into the abyss". right, even on these there are great songs like "fractured millenium" and "fire in the sky", but the path hypocrisy walked on changed too much. too much for me.

dsoul said:
I certainly do know the word, but if you think there is any of it on Catch 22 you are sadly mistaken. I said Catch 22 wasn't agressive enough, because it was supposed to be an agressive album, but agressive in the nu-metal sense which is retarded agressive. It doesn't have to be Penetralia or Osculum Obscenum agressive Hypocrisy for me to like it, the self titled album has my favorite Hypocrisy song of all time on it "Paled Empty Sphere", and that is not death metal at all. But you can not look at me, or anyone else, with a straight face and a serious tone in your voice, and tell me Catch 22 with songs with titles like "don't judge me" and "a public puppet" or "turn the page" had any emotion at all. I mean the song titles alone sound like someone tried to combine Rage against the Machine and Slipknot in a nice little Hypocrisy package and sell it "hey man, this is some real dope shit" to a 14 year old who just bought their first Mudvayne album.

Paled Empty Sphere has emotion, Deathrow has emotion, the Final Chapter has emotion, Catch 22 has nothing.

dsoul, i tend to think of "All turns black" as being one of hypocrisy's most emotive songs EVER!!! that song just hits a heart string with me. Its one of my fav slower hypo songs. I think its total emotion.

Rotten Flesh said:
when i hear the name hypocrisy it's always these songs and their atmosphere which comes to my mind.

yeh, I always think of their 'atmosphere' when I think of what makes them unique -- Peter knows his engineering and to me that's a big part of giving them their signature sound rather than just being another dime a dozen death metal or melo-death band who just know how to play instruments.

Firefest9 said:
i tend to think of "All turns black" as being one of hypocrisy's most emotive songs EVER!!! that song just hits a heart string with me. Its one of my fav slower hypo songs. I think its total emotion.

word - definately one of my favourite songs too - I actually submitted the corrections to those lyrics on a few sites (yet to be changed) before I got Virus because the lyrics really make the song what it is and it's really a shame to see them butchered as some transcriptions had it

still - though I don't share his attitude, I agree there weren't many 'good' songs on Catch 22 (I like about 4) and they did have a particular 'nu-metal' style to them - I mean I like 'destroyed' but there is definately something that even if you can't group styles of guitaring to call it 'numetal' or anything, that you can at least say this album is more accessable to the typical numetaller than either of their other usual styles (raw death metal, and slow melodic atmospheric tracks). (thankfully the vocals aren't like all the wack numetal out there and the production is still nice)

Actually I'm sick of this constant Catch22-discussion, it won't lead anywhere. But still I feel like saying a few words.

dsoul said:
But you can not look at me, or anyone else, with a straight face and a serious tone in your voice, and tell me Catch 22 with songs with titles like "don't judge me" and "a public puppet" or "turn the page" had any emotion at all.

In my opinion, these songs, or to be precise, their lyrics are full of emotions. They are much more emotional than many abstract Alien or splatter-lyrics that Peter wrote because they are statements of his feelings! When the album came out, Peter especially mentioned "A Public Puppet" in interviews, telling how much he hated to feel controlled and pushed around by people but that it was also peoples' expectations that he wanted to meet. So for me those lyrics are definitely something different from the usual Hypocrisy lyrics and I understand that he wanted also a different sound to convey them.
Of course this won't change your opinion about the music, you blasphemic Catch22-haters ;) , but I wrote this because I think it's not fair to judge those lyrics emotionless. Hope you understand my point.

We are the plague spreading through the world.
*hums and wanders off*

let artists do their art, if you aint feelin the emotion in a song don't play it - aint feelin an album, dont buy it - we can hardly demand they spam out hundreds of similar songs

...Unless they're Amon Amarth and then you just have no choice

Eh, I'm a new member, but I'm not new to Hypocrisy...just too damn lazy, but yea...Virus kills and cant wait to have it with all the pretty inserts and artwork!!

ok so yea..I do admitt that on catch 22 I like about 4 songs..and that its (imo) their weakest album...but still...I mean..I cant figure out that a pro like Peter would,of made and album without liking his songs at lease a little bit :err: