Vocalists: Record an Opeth verse!

anonymousnick2001 said:
Uh-oh. What went wrong?
Nothing went wrong... but you don't growl... just sounds like you're whispering harshly. The singing bits are decent, though seem to have the wrong melodies... but uh... I'm just not sure if that was a serious attempt or not... :erk:

this thread was a great idea, but i need to know, where can i download a program to edit songs like the "vocal cuts" and everything? and i need a comp mic.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Nothing went wrong... but you don't growl... just sounds like you're whispering harshly. The singing bits are decent, though seem to have the wrong melodies... but uh... I'm just not sure if that was a serious attempt or not... :erk:

When can we scream instead of whisper?

Seraphim Belial said:
this thread was a great idea, but i need to know, where can i download a program to edit songs like the "vocal cuts" and everything? and i need a comp mic.
you can download any of cooledit pro or adobe auditon off kazaa or any file sharing methods
i found this on adobe website:
Adobe Audition

Knight of the Templar, i had to amplify your vocal part like 25 dB and took off the noise and hiss, it's not bad at all, get a decent program and record proper tracks, you have a really good voice

morningstar said:
Dude, couldn't you be a little less depreciative with your comments or a bit more careful with them? your attitude will only make those who're insecure about recording a verse even more insecure... he has at least provided his contribute in benefit of this thread...
first of all thank you for support.
i dont care someone like or not...he's listened anyway and i thank for that.

ShroudofDusk said:
Meh, it was done with a computer mic on the Sound Recorder program in mid-morning with no breakfast. That sure was no whisper, though. I growl a lot louder than Akerfeldt admits to doing. In interviews, he says he sounds real soft when he growls. I growl at about talking volume. It's just kind of raspy...usually.

Maybe I'm singing out of tune or something. Yikes, :lol:, I figured it was better than that. Oh well. Maybe I'll try the Master's Apprentices sample in a bit.

uhm, if you watch Mikael recording the vocals to Master's Apprentices you see that it sure as hell isn't soft when he does it. Nor was it soft when I saw them live - his growl is fucking brutal and he does it at just above talking-volume.

I wasn't. That was also recorded at the same time as The Moor. Right before it, actually. I know that I growl from my stomach because I always do it best on a half to mostly-full stomach, and I usually need to have a little phlegm around. Whispers don't need phlegm like I do. I also have a raspy aftertaste. Even my friends that have heard my recordings say that they sound "quiet and loud at the same time."

About the clean vocals on The Moor, I still don't get what I did wrong with those. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the criticism. It's long overdue. I've been on the board a year and no one has heard my voice as of just now. I'll keep posting in this thread until the vocals are up to par.