Vortex Appreciation Thread

Undefined

Indefinite Entity
Sep 27, 2006
Unsure and Inexact
Yes, my fanboiness has gotten THAT bad. :erk:

No, I'm just kidding, but I am curious as to what others here have to say about this man and his voice. As most of you know, he is one of my favourite vocalists, period. I am wondering though, do you like his voice, do you hate it? Any opinions, thoughts, criticisms, etc, are welcome. Open discussion of his songs, lyrics, bands/projects is what this thread is meant to be about, and I am not expecting only praise because he is far from perfect. If you're going to come in here to try and cause shit or flame me, then don't bother because it's just going to be erased and you might even get banned if you're being a big idiot.

So, I'll let someone else get the ball rolling... and to those who don't know who the fuck I'm talking about, I'll try to add stuff to this first post to try and get you familiar with his work. COMMENCE!

A compilation of all the parts from the songs he sings in Dimmu Borgir:

Other bands he has been apart of besides Dimmu Borgir are Lamented Souls, Ved Buens Ende, Borknagar, Arcturus. He is also the new lead singer in <code> and they are releasing an album in late 2008/early 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what was so great about it?:lol:

j/k Actually it's kind of decent, just average clean vocals, maybe above average but nothing mindblowing... Like, it's not gonna change my life or anything. Does sound pretty tidy and clean tho :)

He has an awesome voice, but it is a little soft for black metal. It would be perfect if he could get the evilness in it.

So what was so great about it?:lol:

j/k Actually it's kind of decent, just average clean vocals, maybe above average but nothing mindblowing... Like, it's not gonna change my life or anything. Does sound pretty tidy and clean tho :)

To be honest, I don't really rank him as a clean singer or even a singer at all. I think he has a really unique voice, and he is one of the best vocalists out there. Sure, there are dozens of better SINGERS, but as far as vocalists, he is just one of the untouchables. Much like Ozzy. I mean, a lot of people can fucking sing better than Ozzy but he is still considered one of the kings because he has a unique tone and puts it to great use. Simen is the same, if you get into his voice it is the definition of epic.

Also, the compilation kind of ruins the atmosphere of the songs. In Dimmu Borgir, his vocals are used in a cool way, the song is just built up and played then there'll be an interlude and he'll break into his part, I think it adds a lot to their music. But imo, his best work is in the bands where he was the lead vocalist.

He has an awesome voice, but it is a little soft for black metal. It would be perfect if he could get the evilness in it.

Well, that's why he's doing the "backing tracks". Like a nice guy getting his limbs cut off by the harsh vocals later. Or w/e I dunno, Daemon Burger is not my kind of meat, and I generally dislike symphonic black (just cuz it really pretends to be symphonic), I'm all the way for regular, and especially "raw" black :kickass::kickass::kickass:

To be honest, I don't really rank him as a clean singer or even a singer at all. I think he has a really unique voice, and he is one of the best vocalists out there. Sure, there are dozens of better SINGERS, but as far as vocalists, he is just one of the untouchables. Much like Ozzy. I mean, a lot of people can fucking sing better than Ozzy but he is still considered one of the kings because he has a unique tone and puts it to great use. Simen is the same, if you get into his voice it is the definition of epic.

Also, the compilation kind of ruins the atmosphere of the songs. In Dimmu Borgir, his vocals are used in a cool way, the song is just built up and played then there'll be an interlude and he'll break into his part, I think it adds a lot to their music. But imo, his best work is in the bands where he was the lead vocalist.

I kind of know what you mean, and boy I had most of Dimmu's stuff but deleted it cuz I didn't get into it, so I can't really get into the "athmosphere". He does have a nice tone, and I guess it's not standard for metal, but really he sounds just like a guy with a nice voice who had some work done on his vocals, just like an average music college vocal student would sound like.

:lol: He is like 7ft tall, and can sing falsettos like a girl. His voice is awesome because it is soft but... as far as saying he can't do 'black metal' ... what are you talking about... he can do death growls with the best of them, check out his work with Borknagar and Ved Buens Ende.

I don't like Dimmu's lead singer all that much to be honest. He has a perfect voice for black metal... But seems to use the machinery too often.

But I like The Serpentine Offering. The Double Bass in that song owns

Well, that's why he's doing the "backing tracks". Like a nice guy getting his limbs cut off by the harsh vocals later. Or w/e I dunno, Daemon Burger is not my kind of meat, and I generally dislike symphonic black (just cuz it really pretends to be symphonic), I'm all the way for regular, and especially "raw" black :kickass::kickass::kickass:

In Dimmu Borgir, he is horribly underused. This is a fact. In his other bands, like Arcturus, Borknagar, etc... he does the harsh and clean vocals, flawlessly. THey are all different genres too, if you don't like Dimmu Borgir, you might actually love Borknagar or Arcturus.

He does have a nice tone, and I guess it's not standard for metal, but really he sounds just like a guy with a nice voice who had some work done on his vocals, just like an average music college vocal student would sound like.

Actually, I detest the way his voice is layered on the albums, they add too much electronic shit to his voice. He is one of the FEW people who actually sound more amazing live. I enjoy his voice a lot more when I see them play live or while listening to a live cd. And I disagree with you, his voice is not average at all.

Get a college student to reproduce this:

Vortex in Ved Buens Ende? wtf
He was the live singer for a while, unfortunately the only thing that exists is a shitty quality bootleg. :(
BTW: Garm > Vortex :p
Please, don't make me LOL. :lol: :p First of all, Simen in Borknagar > Garm in Borknagar. That is just, undebatable imo. Unless you're insanely devoted to black metal only, then you might not agree. But I feel that the band reached new heights when he joined. The Archaic Course is just amazing. Secondly, I will concede that Garm did make better music in Arcturus, I mean, The Sham Mirrors is their best cd... but you're omitting one important fact. GARM CAN'T SING LIVE. His voice is fucking fake. He is a brilliant studio vocalist, and I love him, but as far as singing goes, it's just a big no. Simen can sing live, and eventhough he isn't always perfect, he does an amazing job. Garm has never performed live in any of his bands, I remember seeing some bootleg from the mid-90's and he's singing black metal vocals and it's PURE SHIT.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfo3trHRCRc&feature=related[/ame]

Want me to post some early Simen black metal bootlegs? They are a million times better.

And also, the guy who sang live for Arcturus, has the EXACT same voice, he does a WONDERFUL job, which proves that Garm could be easily replaced in Arcturus if Simen didn't come along. I am not a big Ulver fan, but I do like his voice in that band. The thing is, I think overall, singing and screaming, Simen trumps him, and the fact he can sing well live makes him a better vocalist by default.

Props to this guy as well:

I don't like Dimmu's lead singer all that much to be honest. He has a perfect voice for black metal... But seems to use the machinery too often.

But I like The Serpentine Offering. The Double Bass in that song owns

Ermmm....Vortex is not the lead singer if you thought that. That's Shagrath.

Vortex is epic...his voice just completes the song perfectly...just like Progenies of the great apocalypse.

Ermmm....Vortex is not the lead singer if you thought that. That's Shagrath.

Vortex is epic...his voice just completes the song perfectly...just like Progenies of the great apocalypse.

Ummmm.... I know?

And didn't Shagrath get his name from a chararcter from the lord of the rings? And I just got done watching the vid to the serpintine offering... Was the guitarist sportinga Alexi Lahio ESP custom sawtooth?

^No it's a esp sv which ive often seen he has put tape over the stripes :lol: I dunno...it sure sounds like most of black metal names are from LOTR.

i think vortex's vocals perfectly fit dimmu borgir..
watch 4:45-5:25 fucking awesome part of a fucking awesome song
the crowd went crazy last year when they playd that

^ Alright, it did sound pretty good. I guess he should quit the Burghers (lol) after I heard that. I've disliked the band for awhile.

It's his fault that Arcturus aren't still in existence, I can never forgive him for that.

Ummmm.... I know?

And didn't Shagrath get his name from a chararcter from the lord of the rings? And I just got done watching the vid to the serpintine offering... Was the guitarist sportinga Alexi Lahio ESP custom sawtooth?

Yes he did, for some reason you annoy the hell out of me.
ICS V. is a great vocalist, really like his work, but if you saying that you don't like dane, is a bit odd as you admit that ozzy isn't great, but he's unique as dane is.