Warrel sounds like he's yawning? I'm confused...

Talking Backwards

Senior Citizen
Oct 5, 2009
Pretty much every person I've ever introduced Nevermore to absolutely loved the band. Most commented on how awesome the vocals were too (some saying it's the best part of the overall sound). Yet I have one friend who keeps making these extremely odd comparisons that I can't fucking figure out for the life of me. Either I'm just tone deaf, or his hearing is pretty off.

First he says that Warrel makes him think of the two old men on the Muppets. Uh because he sings low quite often and in a vocal harmony?

Then he says that on most of the songs it sounds like he's yawning and gives the chorus of Poison God Machine as an example. All I'm hearing is a midrange harmony with reverb and some vibrato for an emotive effect. What technique is actually being used here?

His final comparison is of Peter Steele, which I can kind of understand at some points, but it's not like Warrel sings Type O vocals every song, or even through an entire song for that matter. The closest he comes to that would be on some parts of DNB (the song--but that song always made me think more of Silent Lucidity than anything) and Lucretia My Reflection.

So, is my friend simply batshit-crazy, or is he simply not correctly expressing what he's hearing? Because I can't figure it out, and pretty much everyone else that I've introduced to the band in more recent times thinks he's kind of insane.

only on this sir,

Dreaming Neon Black = he says that on most of the songs it sounds like he's yawning

but yes he is repetitive, does this happen regularly ???

I am sure with the new cd he wil use a stomp box instread of the mid range tones, he very close to MIDNIGHT in the world rankings...

I agree it is frustrating when people can't recognize actual singing in heavy music - I guess so many of them have grown up on either the cookie monster or screamo stuff and just can't get used to melody. Others only know "popular" radio-type singing and can't adjust to singers with range, especially in the higher-pitched range. In the end all you can do is introduce the music to as many people as possible and hope it clicks with some of them.

I agree it is frustrating when people can't recognize actual singing in heavy music - I guess so many of them have grown up on either the cookie monster or screamo stuff and just can't get used to melody. Others only know "popular" radio-type singing and can't adjust to singers with range, especially in the higher-pitched range. In the end all you can do is introduce the music to as many people as possible and hope it clicks with some of them.

This friend of mine basically listened to nothing but Soundgarden/STP/Pearl Jam etc as well as some hip hop, because he tried to act all "thug life" (sheltered Christian guy...LOL). He basically didn't listen to any metal aside from Metallica and Megadeth when I met him. I tried having him listen to some Maiden back in like 98, and he just commented on how the vocals just sounded too early 80s, so I never bothered with them again. Yet, after a couple of years he became a pretty huge Iced Earth fan (irony?).

He also used to bitch hardcore about the death growls in Opeth (which are some of the most well done period) and talked about how he enjoyed everything else about the band. After over a decade, he finally actively wanted to listen to Maiden, and he's come to appreciate the contrasting styles found in most Opeth songs. I just can't get it. He likes thrash, he now likes Maiden, yet he can't get into Nevermore.

I've always wanted to play Don't Break The Oath or Melissa for him, but he's not a big fan of Lucifer (his words), so I never made any attempt--as though the lyrical themes should actually be a deciding factor.

GEE MAN i hate zappa others like his stuff

leave it

I've always wanted to play Don't Break The Oath or Melissa for him, but he's not a big fan of Lucifer (his words), so I never made any attempt--as though the lyrical themes should actually be a deciding factor