Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

sounds wrong to me, doesnt seem to fit at all. I play the guitar (obv not professionally as mike does) and it sounds waaaay off.

*shrugs* it if aint wrong technically then fair enough, but to me and others i played it to who also pay, they've winced at it.

Well, it is technically wrong from a classical Western point of view. But who's to say rules are not there to be broken. Otherwise we'd still be playing tribal neolithic music.

Right, and since when does the chromaticism of heavy metal adhere to western music principles?

Nobody said it did.

But at the same time chromaticism is usually quite restricted and used in passing most of the time. Except in music like Opeth's that is.

Opeth has proven that they are primarily Mikael...which is somewhat disappointing. I strongly believed that Peter and Lopez had a vital part in songwriting, along with Martin. However, Watershed is a humbling offering, scattered with agony and sadness few of us experience. On the other hand, there is a serious cloud of anger ripping through the tracks...Perhaps Mikael's father verbally abused him, playing mind games and shit. Just an idea!
I think we can all agree, Akerfeldt is the greatest songwriter of the new age.
He fails not to encompass each and every moment in which the chemical precursor reaches the brain. A period of timelessness, if you will. :loco:
*goes back to dissect track 6 "hessian peel".....:headbang:

Opeth has proven that they are primarily Mikael...which is somewhat disappointing. I strongly believed that Peter and Lopez had a vital part in songwriting, along with Martin. However, Watershed is a humbling offering, scattered with agony and sadness few of us experience. On the other hand, there is a serious cloud of anger ripping through the tracks...Perhaps Mikael's father verbally abused him, playing mind games and shit. Just an idea!
I think we can all agree, Akerfeldt is the greatest songwriter of the new age.
He fails not to encompass each and every moment in which the chemical precursor reaches the brain. A period of timelessness, if you will. :loco:
*goes back to dissect track 6 "hessian peel".....:headbang:

this is among the most pretentious posts i've ever read on an internet forum.

i really love the album... I just don't give a crap about Porcelain heart and Hex omega.. But hey, i rarely come across an album where i love all the tracks.

I love the new album. The only letdown I had was the doco on the special edition (which arrived this morning).. I'd love a bootleg to be released of all footage of them performing their individual parts for the album (and Ghost Reveries).

Is the album a letdown - not at all...You need to listen to it

^ i thought that was at the end of burden

but honestly this cd is fucking amazing. First few listens I hated it but now it's quicky becoming a favorite, and almost topping GR for a new cd release (hasnt hit there yet, but definately will soon)

I think its amazing stuff.

Haha, well I must say that review was an interesting read. I don't know if I want to applaud him or punch him in his fucking face.

I could only understand his flaming if he's into crazy freeform or Univers zero and it's likes. But as with all these type of people they worship Marillion and nothing else. That's what complaining about the "off" note implies to me anyways...

I wonder what's progressive to him? Keeping his virginity for a lifetime? Sorry, low blow, but what a fucking geek!

Cheers people.
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7349944 said:
I wonder what's progressive to him? Keeping his virginity for a lifetime? Sorry, low blow, but what a fucking geek!

Lol. Now he'll sue Opeth.