Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7349944 said:
Haha, well I must say that review was an interesting read. I don't know if I want to applaud him or punch him in his fucking face.

I could only understand his flaming if he's into crazy freeform or Univers zero and it's likes. But as with all these type of people they worship Marillion and nothing else. That's what complaining about the "off" note implies to me anyways...

I wonder what's progressive to him? Keeping his virginity for a lifetime? Sorry, low blow, but what a fucking geek!

Cheers people.
Mike

Best response to a review ever! :lol:

Jesus Christ, it's just a switch from natural minor to harmonic minor, people. You know, the sharpened seventh? Get over it.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I haven't analyzed or tried to play that section, but from a casual listen without picking it out on guitar myself, that feels right. Pretty musically common phenomenon in the grand scheme of things.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I haven't analyzed or tried to play that section, but from a casual listen without picking it out on guitar myself, that feels right. Pretty musically common phenomenon in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I learned how to play it, to make sure. It definitely is just a brief modal change. Like you said, pretty common. Not a big deal.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7349944 said:
Haha, well I must say that review was an interesting read. I don't know if I want to applaud him or punch him in his fucking face.

I could only understand his flaming if he's into crazy freeform or Univers zero and it's likes. But as with all these type of people they worship Marillion and nothing else. That's what complaining about the "off" note implies to me anyways...

I wonder what's progressive to him? Keeping his virginity for a lifetime? Sorry, low blow, but what a fucking geek!

Cheers people.
Mike

haha good reponse now he's gonna cry if he ever visits this thread
i just woke up and i had a dream i took a picture with the mike in the anthemfest @14/8!!!
in my dream he was A LOT taller than me and im 183 so i was wondering how it was possible, oh well it was a dream then now i get it

ok just heard the album a few days ago, and i love it, some of their best work(although everytime i say that i find albums i like more, and then albums i like more than those, its a circle really), its different, but still amazing, i think i was the last person on the forum to hear it(thanks the end records......assholes)

I've listened through the entire album twice. The second time was in a forest here in Bodo, north-Norway, so the impression was right on :headbang:

I really must say this is already better than Ghost Reveries to some point, but not better than Blackwater Park. It's a pretty big gap between GR and BW Park so I think this album will stay somewhere between those two. I am not dissapointed, and the album has NOT stopped growing on me :worship:notworthy

^ Damn, now I really feel the reviewer deserves a few slaps on the face... maybe we should ask Marcus Miller some help

Clearly he has a very specific idea of what he likes and what constitutes progressive music (like most reviewers), hence the reason I rarely read reviews. I thought this one was worth it since Mikael commented on it.

I don't see the need to read other people's opinions, even if I end up agreeing with them. All I care about is my own.

The thing is, even though he may be right about some of the stuff he writes about Watershed, this isn't really a review about the new Opeth album at all. He criticizes people who claim that Opeth are progressive, complex, advanced, whatever, and he doesn't think this is true.
That's what it's all about. It seems he does the same thing with the other albums. "Not really prog..." SO FUCKING WHAT DICKHEAD.

I know I ain't listening to Opeth because it is complex or progressive, I listen to Opeth because it's the best fucking band in the world, whether they play simple acoustic guitar parts or crushing death metal. What the fuck.

For complex acoustic guitar, I recommend you go and listen to some Jan Akkerman - he's pretty good.

Does Jan Akkerman GROWL like a FUCKING FEROCIOUS WOLF? Does he make crazy good songs like "Ghost of Perdition", "In Mist She was Standing" or "The Lotus Fucking Eater"??? Does he play drums like a tiny god of drums? Does he release albums with awesome and mysterious cover art and have a great logo with a big, crazy O in it? Does he...sigh....
you get the point:

FUCK it. With a rusty dagger +2.

well its prog archives, so i guess hes reviewing prog, but if he doesnt consider it prog........why does he review it, sounds like hes stupid, i dont care to what degree opeth is progressive, all i know is there is no band that compares to opeth(except maybe the fall of every season, but thats more doom than anything) and no other band is as good or diverse, anyone who doesnt like them doesnt get it and is obviously just stupid or assumes too much(like oh growsl, its probably about killing, not i nthis case but i get that a lot):lol: