Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

I'll come out of the closet now with sincere and stinging honesty and say I am really close to being sick of Watershed. Listened to it way too much, and there is too much sweetness..too much sugar...but, on the positive side, the album has made me go back and appreciate Blackwater Park more, the only Opeth album I haven't really liked so far! :headbang::)

If you listen to any album too much you get sick of it.

^disagreed. i listened to Praises to the War Machine only three times and im sick of it already!

I'll come out of the closet now with sincere and stinging honesty and say I am really close to being sick of Watershed. Listened to it way too much, and there is too much sweetness..too much sugar...but, on the positive side, the album has made me go back and appreciate Blackwater Park more, the only Opeth album I haven't really liked so far! :headbang::)

No tragedy, just take a brake and listen again.

No, I'm not disappointed with Watershed. At first I thought "this is good", but now it's more like "wow this is fricken awesome". Heir Apparent & The Lotus Eater are absolutely amazing tracks. Very much "Opeth" through and through. I love the album... let's just say it's on repeat daily.

Agreed. It's made me appreciate Deliverance more. I used to hate that album, now I'm kinda getting into it.

I have only heard it once so far and im not getting the feeling im to worried about doing so again, totally the opposite of Ghost Revieries where it was on repeat play in my car for 9 months or so.

perhapse it will grow on me like deliverenceand damnation did.

Blackwater park was again immediate for me and it was the first id hear of any opeth, then went out and bought each album after that starting with MAYH :OMG: wow what a great album and Orchid

If you listen to any album too much you get sick of it.

I've listened to Still Life all the time since it was released in '99, in fact just been banging to "Serenity Painted Death" and driving the car, yes dangerous combination, and I'm still deeply in awe of the album - the sweetness/brutality ratio is pretty perfect, I guess. Neither am I sick of Orchid, Morningrise, My arms your hearse, Deliverance or Ghost Reveries. Hell, I've been listening to Exodus' Bonded by Blood since '85, and it still kicks my fuck!

That being said, before I put on Still Life in the car today I listened to Watershed LOL. So good, but oh so sweet...

but for people like me who have listened to them from there earlier stuff will think otherwise.

I know it's your opinion and I respect that, but please don't speak for me :p. I love their old stuff, and I like this a great deal. And actually, I've seen a few opinions on another board of death metal lovers where a lot of the people liked the old stuff, but didn't take to everything from BWP onwards, and they responded positively to this album...so I'm not so sure about your theory about lovers of the old vs new stuff (putting me aside for a second).

I think it's a fucking fantastic record. It feels like they're not only playing with me, but with themselves. And no, I don't know how to make that sound less suggestive. :lol: Plus, it's beautifully crafted, and has more than one "wtf" moment, which is pretty cool. It's hard to surprise an old cow like me, you know. :lol:

But since efforts were made to bring unusual instrumentation to the table, I dkinda wish they'd use a real mellotron. I know it's a bitch of a beautiful, unpredictable instrument, but it'd just add that little touch of...not sure what. I just wish they'd risk it.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7349944 said:
I could only understand his flaming if he's into crazy freeform or Univers zero and it's likes. But as with all these type of people they worship Marillion and nothing else.

Eerily accurate about some of that site's reviewers. :lol: And you're also not allowed to dislike any of the "big 5" of prog, a term that while appropriate for large animals in Africa is nothing but disturbing when referring to music. But I wouldn't be insulted if I were you...after all, he spent hours writing that shit. :lol:

God
that fucking review is the worst shit I've ever readed
I would kill that guy

I wouldn't bother.. :p

I know it's your opinion and I respect that, but please don't speak for me :p. I love their old stuff, and I like this a great deal. And actually, I've seen a few opinions on another board of death metal lovers where a lot of the people liked the old stuff, but didn't take to everything from BWP onwards, and they responded positively to this album...so I'm not so sure about your theory about lovers of the old vs new stuff (putting me aside for a second).

Yeah. He's wrong. I've been listening to Opeth since they released Orchid here in Sweden and I think the new album is awesome.

The album is exactly what I expected (another world beating album) with so much more.

People have issues with this each time they release a new album, the only one that wasn't an instant thrill for me when it came out was MAYH... but that was only because I had dared to hope for another Morningrise (still one of my favourite albums of all time). It grew and grew.

Some parts of the new album really blew me away. After hearing Coil, it cemented it in my mind... Mike needs to do a solo album with guest collaborations. I have been listening to Mordet I Grottan so much more since as well.

Yeah. He's wrong. I've been listening to Opeth since they released Orchid here in Sweden and I think the new album is awesome.

Please read the whole thread if your going to post. I admitted I was wrong. I now like this album, hell I bought the SE LP+CD and EP...:headbang:

I think it's a fucking fantastic record. It feels like they're not only playing with me, but with themselves. And no, I don't know how to make that sound less suggestive. :lol: Plus, it's beautifully crafted, and has more than one "wtf" moment, which is pretty cool. It's hard to surprise an old cow like me, you know. :lol:

But since efforts were made to bring unusual instrumentation to the table, I dkinda wish they'd use a real mellotron. I know it's a bitch of a beautiful, unpredictable instrument, but it'd just add that little touch of...not sure what. I just wish they'd risk it.

Eerily accurate about some of that site's reviewers. :lol: And you're also not allowed to dislike any of the "big 5" of prog, a term that while appropriate for large animals in Africa is nothing but disturbing when referring to music. But I wouldn't be insulted if I were you...after all, he spent hours writing that shit. :lol:

I wouldn't bother.. :p

Wow this review pissed me off a lot. What an arrogant prick.