Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

i didn't like the album, although it's surely classy, and a quality product from many sides.

that's what i think: first of all, i've heard better arrangements on older albums (especially BP, SL and GR), these one are not so refined imo. then i have to say that the melodies are not so interesting this time, and some melodic and harmonic solutions are evidently unnatural, trying not to be too banal: for this reason they come out strange, in a negative way. there are also some boring parts, not because of the typical opethian repetition, but because these parts are not so good to deserve obsessive repetition (see porcelain heart). finally, the 70s-inspired stuff is a little too derivative.

I just wish they could of catered so to speak for their die hard fans who have liked them for far longer then majority of their current fans.

Well, I consider myself a die-hard fan, I've been listening to Opeth since Still Life was released (so, that makes it almsot 10 years now) and I love Watershed.

Having loved a band for a long time doesnt make you only like the old stuff. I'm glad there's been some evolution because, to be honest, had they brought out Orchid II, Morningrise II, MAYH II and SL II, it would have become boring.

If I want to listen to a band that doesn't evolve, I'll listen to ACDC or Motörhead. (no offense there!)

Also when Mike was recording the record and giving the press updates, didn't he say Watershed was supposed to be "the darkest and heaviest record yet"? He definitely talked up Watershed and Ghost Reveries like they were his masterpieces but let's face it, these 2 records are extremely par at best given what he used to be capable of. It's hard not to be disappointed when Mike says things like that and then releases Watershed.

Lol, I think he always says that the upcoming record is going to be the heaviest and brutalest of them all.

mmm... prog is pretty easy to write dude. Especially when you can put slow jammy bits next to mario-brothers sequences and people worship it. Metal, on the other hand, is very difficult write, it's so confined what works and most of what works has been done too often to sound good.

Metal, however, doesn't have to be carefully composed to strike you, sheer power and attack are enough. And I'd like to highlight, that GOOD prog bands are hard to find. And with prog I don't mean today's prog metal.

The only thing that disappoints me about Watershed is how dreadfully short it feels, and that fact that there doesn't seem to be much going on in some songs as you'd normally expect.

Also when Mike was recording the record and giving the press updates, didn't he say Watershed was supposed to be "the darkest and heaviest record yet"?

I didn't realize dark and heavy ONLY means "distorted guitar riffs"... and I guess neither did Mikael.

I think he meant the songs are darker as in the atmosphere isn't so cartoonish and "metal" this time... Not just: "Satan! Demons! Serial Killers! Blah blah..." you know?

Metal is cheese, lets face it. We all love it, but you can't take the "dark evil brutal themes" seriously... its just fictional silliness. It's escapism!

I think what he was getting at is the disturbing things that happen in real life all the time, personal things that damage lives, the dark issues that fester in real people... not the angry babbling of a 15 year old kid with a guitar and an amp... which is fine too, if you want escapism... But it should not be the definition of "dark and heavy" music.

Personally the song I am least impressed with is Heir Apparent, and it works perfectly where it is on the album anyway, and has some really nice sections!

Not one bit. I remember worrying prior to it's release that I'd be disappointed with it. It seems with me that every time I get into a band, i usually prefer the stuff that got me into them as opposed to releases afterwards. Watershed was the first time this didn't happen. When i first got the album I put on some headphones, went on a walk at about sunset, and listened to the whole album straight through. There were a few parts (IE: Burden) I was literally tearing up because I thought it was so amazing. I've never been so blown away by a new release.

OP is full of poop.

Watershed ruins.

My ONLY complaint, is that I wish there were more tracks on the standard edition.

he press updates, didn't he say Watershed was supposed to be "the darkest and heaviest record yet"? I didn't realize dark and heavy ONLY means "distorted guitar riffs"... and I guess neither did Mikael.

I think he meant the songs are darker as in the atmosphere isn't so cartoonish and "metal" this time... Not just: "Satan! Demons! Serial Killers! Blah blah..." you know?

Metal is cheese, lets face it. We all love it, but you can't take the "dark evil brutal themes" seriously... its just fictional silliness. It's escapism!

I think what he was getting at is the disturbing things that happen in real life all the time, personal things that damage lives, the dark issues that fester in real people... not the angry babbling of a 15 year old kid with a guitar and an amp... which is fine too, if you want escapism... But it should not be the definition of "dark and heavy" music.

Personally the song I am least impressed with is Heir Apparent, and it works perfectly where it is on the album anyway, and has some really nice sections!

You think sentimental crap about children crying when their mother dies is 'darker' than dialectics on the nature of evil and death? I guess that explains why you like to dress as a vampire.

You think sentimental crap about children crying when their mother dies is 'darker' than dialectics on the nature of evil and death? I guess that explains why you like to dress as a vampire.

Nobody gives a shit what you think.

I would like Mikael's input, however.

I'm not disappointed at all. When I first heard TLE I was grinning from ear to ear. Porcelain Heart then had me quite giddy from joy. Once I got the album I was amazed by the entire thing. Burden... Hessian Peel... the whole freaken thing!!!

I love the direction Opeth is taking now. THere are so many more elements in their music that every time I listen to Watershed, it feels new.

And when did I say he succeeded in making a darker album by singing about children crying? I said thats what he meant in those statements before the albums release, probably. I haven't mentioned whether I think it turned out that way or not...

you know what bothers me about newer Opeth?

The increasingly annoying "major key" riffs...Happy vocal melodies and predictable harmonies do NOTHING for me. It's shallow, emotionless, and EASY.
Also mentioned previously, is the downshift in focus on longer chord progressions, and overall, diversity. It's one thing to have several different sounding sections in a song. It's much more satisfying (and challenging) to write a riff and then develop it within the part. I'm referring to Opeth's tendency to repeat sections verbatim for four measures, or whatever, and move on to something completely different. How about changing little things here and there within each repetition of the riff? make it GO somewhere! To me, Still Life has this desirable quality, and it never fails to keep me interested. I just feel like Watershed actually offers LESS music, despite its polished and perfect initial appearance.

I think to Mikael it is a lot darker, because he said it's more personal.

The real question is whether or not Mikael is talking out his ass.

Is that what some of you think?

And when did I say he succeeded in making a darker album by singing about children crying? I said thats what he meant in those statements before the albums release, probably. I haven't mentioned whether I think it turned out that way or not...

You missed my point. You were talking about sentimentality - the way people feel, rather than the reality of the situation which you consider 'escapism'. It's cause vs effect. If i'm festering because of something, metal should be (and is) about that thing not the festering which might just be silly thoughts or, ironically, 'escapism'.

I don't really care what Mikael's thought on the matter are

you know what bothers me about newer Opeth?

The increasingly annoying "major key" riffs...Happy vocal melodies and predictable harmonies do NOTHING for me. It's shallow, emotionless, and EASY.

Yeah... we should all only listen to minor chords.

And only dress in black...

And only frown, never smile...

That would be a great world.

Interesting that you're ready to rule out half of the chords/tones in existence... good thing the band doesn't share your ideals.